Accidental Glock Owner

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cleatis1234, Dec 30, 2009.

1. cleatis1234

cleatis1234

I was never a fan of Glocks. Hated the grip angle, mushy trigger, cheapo plastic sights (come on Glock, at least have the decency to install steel sights on a gun) and the blocky grip. But I wanted to shoot USPSA Limited class, and didn't want to spend $2,500.00 on a gun, so the G35 seemed like a good way to get my feet wet without going broke.

Installed Bar-Sto barrel (to shoot lead), Ghost Rocket trigger connector, $.25 trigger job, spring kit, adjustable sights and metal front sight, nice, heavy, shiny brass magwell, steel guide rod, and mag extensions, and still kept total expenses under $1,000.00.

Still not a huge fan of Glocks. The gun is accurate enough, around 2-3" offhand at 25 yards, and I shoot it ok, as long as I concentrate on keeping the front of the gun down. That grip angle is tough to get used to, though the fact that the gun has no user operated safeties eliminates the "opportunity" to lose time if you miss the thumb safety, or your grip doesn't fully depress the grip safety.

So, a bit later I'm looking at shooting IDPA, in SSP class, and find out my XD, which I like a lot, great grip, accurate enough and as reliable as the Glock doesn't conform with SSP rules. So I need another gun (don't you love it when an excuse to buy a gun falls into your lap like that?), and I figured I'd use the GSSF certificate. Got a nice G17, installed sights, connector, spring kit, Storm Lake barrel (was going to shoot lead, found out 9mm leads up both the G17 with Storm Lake barrel and my XD with stock barrel, wish I found this out earlier, I could have saved $100.00) and $.25 trigger job.

Again, gun shoots very well. I find the shorter slide/barrel seems to point better for me than the G35, which is surprising, though I still have to concentrate on keeping the muzzle down. Did I mention that I hate that grip angle?

So, long story short; I have no love for Glocks, yet I find myself owning two of them. They currently see the most use of all my guns, with the exception of an old Colt Army Special, which I use for PPC matches. The only reason I bought the Glocks was cost, the aftermarket, and ambidexterity (I shoot pistols left handed). Holsters are easy to come by, even for left handed shooters.

You gotta love a company that makes a product that can compete with guns costing two to three times its cost. If they'd only fix that grip angle...

2. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

The grip angle is designed that way. It may feel awkward if you're accustomed to the 1911 style grip, but it's made to reduce the effects of recoil.

4. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Stop being in denial and accept it!!!

5. glockkramer

glockkramer

Hopefully you will find the Gen. 4 will solve some of the grip angle problems for ya'. It probably won't, but you can tell the wifey that you THINK it will so you need to buy in order to find out. :supergrin:

6. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Yeah!

7. duckintheface

duckintheface

Dang! I hate when that happens. :supergrin:

8. Glockaholic

Glockaholic CLM Millennium Member

9. den888

den888

You are slowly coming over to the "dark side" !!!

10. EX CATM

EX CATM

Kinda made the same trasnition a long time ago. I started shooting Berettas in the service, went over to 1911s for IPSC, the when .45 went up I decided I needed a new Beretta in 9mm. Wnet to a gun show to trade a Kimber, couldn't get anyone to trade for a Beretta so I took home a new Glock 17. I've tried switching platforms severl times but I always wind up going back to Glock 9mms. I guess it's time to admit I like the damn things.

11. NCHornet

NCHornet

Maybe you should change your bad habits and adjust to different weapons, because it will be a cold day in hades when Glock is going to change their grip angle. I have a large assortment of SD guns and some of them simply require shooting slightly different. It's just the way it is!!

12. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

"Well I hate Glocks look at all the stuff I changed for some shooting event"

13. bigcat1

bigcat1