Acceptable group size?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Openroadracer, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

Using a stock Glock with store bought ammo such as Blazer with a two handed standing grip - no rest... Whats acceptable for an average shooter at say 10, 15, or 25 yards?

What group sizes would put you in the better than most category?

2. viniglock

viniglock

Center Mass it is good enough for me.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Average is a tricky term. The average shooter can't hold a group to save his life. Of shooters that know the basics of how to shoot a good average would be probably 3-4" at 10 yards and 6-8" at 25 yards. Obviously many shooters can do much better than this but these are a good average I would say.

4. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

If I could only shoot my glocks as good as my Ruger MKIII 22/45. I can do 1 1/2" at 10 yards with the Ruger, but still around 3-4" with the Glock 22. I've done 2" with a Sig before, just need to master the Glock trigger I suppose.

5. youngvr4

youngvr4

i usually group 3-4 inches at 15 yards i'd say average is about 6

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

With most Glocks I tend to shoot a 3-4" group at 15 yards.
    Blazer brass ammo tends to a bit on the higher side of the groupings.

7. southernreign

southernreign

+1... (triple taps!...consistant two center mass, one center head 10 yards.)

8. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

I have found most Glocks in 9mm, 357sig, 40S&W and 10mm to be extremely accurate. The 45 works good to 25 yards, then the trajectory starts messing with me. A better measure is does it group better or worse than your other handguns when fired from the same rested position. If you shooting off hand, that is a measure of your skill rather than the pistol. From a good 2 point rest using WWB or about any ammo I have no trouble hitting my 10" gong at 100 yards about every time. 25 yards from a rest I can usually hold a mag full inside a 2" circle. At about 1 shot per second off hand that group opens to 4"

The out of the box Glock triggers are just getting better all the time. I haven't seen a bad one in a couple years. Make friends with that trigger. I dry fire a lot and shoot even more. The dryfire practice helps the most as it trains muscle memory without the distraction of recoil. After the pin drops where ever it is pointed is where the shot would have went. Work on that follow through. Watch those sights. A clear site picture is more important than seeing the target. To group really tight I have to let the target blur out and focus almost soley on the sights.

I don't even take my revolvers out anymore. I can do everything I want with a Glock and they are so much easier to clean.

9. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

^Fist sized in the center of the triangle made up of a man's nipples and the bottom of his neck.^

10. dojpros1998

dojpros1998

How fast and how many shots?

11. ede

ede

i'm happy with two rounds in an eight inch circle from zero to 75 feet fired as quickly as i can.

12. BiggJohn

BiggJohn NRA Life Member

^^ +1 ^^

13. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

"...It's the Indian...NOT the arrow....."

Most folks can't shoot nearly as well as their firearm is capable of, combat pistols included....

I know some fellers that can put their .45 ACP rounds inside the space of a 50 cent piece at 50 feet ,as routine...common.

I can, most times, do it, too, but some folks can't hit their own feet with a pistol if they tried....

I am Out.....

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

My 27 I shoot COM double taps 1-2" within 10 feet. That's what I need in that gun. I rarely will go past 10 feet shooting that gun.
    My 17 I can shoot 2-3" out to 20 yards. I shoot the 17 better.
    My 9mm Beretta I suck at. 3-4" groups to 15 yards. Bigger if I'm sloppy on the trigger.

15. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

G19 - my pistol is boringly accurate.
    Here is the FIRST group (15 rounds) fired with that pistol, at 15 yards, standing, Modified Weaver Stance. CCI Blazer (aluminum case) 115 gr FMJ.
    St. Charles Sportsman's Club indoor range.
    [​IMG]

That group is the norm, not the exception.
    I held the front sight at the bottom of the 10 ring, since I had never fired this pistol, before. THIS pistol seems to be set up for a 'center' hold, or 'Navy' hold. That doesn't bother me, because for a 'combat' pistol, I actually want the bullet to hit where that front sight is.
    That is a crappy cellphone pic. I wasn't expecting that group, nor was I expecting to take photos.

This group is from my G30SF. First group - 10 shots. 15 yards. CCI Blazer (aluminum cases) 230 gr FMJ. Same stance - standing, Modified Weaver.
    St. Charles Sportsman's Club outdoor range.
    [​IMG]

Second group. Fired same day. Same ammo. Same range.
    [​IMG]

Glock pistols are capable of producing good groups IF the shooter does his part.
    Most 'average shooters' don't watch their front sight(s). They instead, look over the sights, trying to see where their shot(s) went.
    Glock pistols are more accurate than their shooters, generally speaking.
    Also, each pistol is different, and each pistol will digest one ammo (sometimes more), better than another brand/type.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. SagKC

SagKC

Yup :upeyes:, and have better luck with better ammo.

17. mboylan

mboylan

I would measure minimum competance as 8 inch groups at 75 feet and 2 1/2 inch groups at 30 feet at a steady cadence. All your shots, no flyers. Most shooters can't do that, unfortunately.

You would have to shoot half that or more than double the speed before I would consider it good.

18. TedG954

TedG954

+1

A standard paper plate at 15 yds with good speed.

Slow, deliberate shots will show how accurate your pistol may be, but it's not really practical if you carry for personal defense. If I'm far enough away that I can take slow shots, I'm just going to run for cover or out of the area. Chances are, they can't hit you either.

I train by placing my G17 on the bench in front of me, with hands at my sides. I shoot 2-4 shots one-handed, as fast as I can. If all the rounds end up somewhere on the plate... I'm satisfied. With practice the groups on the plate can become smaller, but anywhere on the plate is acceptable.

Remember, first guy to the target will probably win the fight.

19. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

+1:50cal:

20. mboylan

mboylan

You learn to shoot at speed by starting with accuracy first. You then build speed slowly. You don't compromise accuracy until you start to shoot multiple shots per second. The guys winning IDPA and USPSA can also shoot really tiny groups when they have to. In combat, you are shooting from cover at someone who is behind and obscured by cover.

Man on man, close range, first guy to draw and put a round on target wins. The draw will take most of your time. Shooting from the draw is the most important skill to learn there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010