Academic Freedom at your school?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by c5367, Jun 7, 2005.

1. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Just curious, how is the environment at y'alls repsective institutions? I'm fortunate that the faculty is pretty good at Benedictine. The polisci dep is a bunch of flaming liberals, but they encourage debate. Unlike some other students, I refuse to parrot the prof's position on papers, and usually take a very conservative stance, but never been penalized for it. I hear that other Universities are much more into indoctrination than education. Any reports from the front lines?

2. Glock13

Glock13

Here's an example of the environment at the University of Wisconsin. The day of/after 9/11, not one of my professors made a statement about what happened.

When Abu Ghraib broke, we discussed it for three straight days in one of my electrical engineering classes.

P.S: It ended up being a liberal ***-kicking led by myself and one other student. On the receiving end, my professor and another student who was a big Howard Dean fan.

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

In my experience, the liberal students are only liberal because they have an overabundance of compassion and idealism combined with a complete lack of sense. Its almost not fun to argue with them because it like shooting fish in a barrel. Now, the polisci professors have a bit more practice and a few facts here and there, but its still pretty easy shatter their arguments.

4. Gatman

Gatman

+1 on the liberals being idealistic.

I was at Southern Illinois university and my English teachers loved to debate but my speech teacher would not have it.

5. HerbG22

HerbG22

I'm at Eastern Illinois U., and the prof's here are extremely liberal (in my experience). I live off campus, and I don't talk about guns with most people I come in contact with there, but I'm always up for a debate about gun control in class. On the other hand, Playboy says EIU has some of the hottest co-ed's in the nation ^7 That makes it worthwhile

6. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Hottest Co-eds? Well heck Eastern is just a few hour away..... ;f I think I may have to investigate this one for myself!

7. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Hey hey, I can fly for free down to Chicago. Who wants to pick me up ;f

My econ teacher is also a flaming liberal, and it's gotten pretty heated a few times when I start busting out the libertarian bag-o-debate ;)

8. HerbG22

HerbG22

Yep, hottest co-ed's. EIU is something like 71% female. I'm amazed I haven't gotten in a car wreck on campus because of being distracted by the "scenery".

9. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

i just graduated from USF, univ of south FL. betty castor (former president of usf, and possible governor candidate, and a demoncrat too, if you didnt know) allowed a computer science teacher stay there and conduct his practices under the guise of academic freedom.

you may have heard of sami al-arian? he is currently on trial for being the financial leader of palestinian islamic jihad. he was using his group there to raise money to send over there to pay for terrorist acts.

the new pres of the school was also reluctant to fire him, choosing, instead to suspend him (with pay, of course) in the name of academic freedom.

only when the feds locked him up, did they finally find that it was time to discuss the possible termination of him. they didnt want to upset anyone by dismissing him. after tiptoeing around the issue for weeks it was FINALLY, decided to let him go. after all its all about academic freedom is what they said.

he was financing the murders of Americans, Israelis, and others, THIS IS NOT ACADEMIC FREEDOM. how the hell are people like this chosen to lead future generations? its a shame more Americans arent brainwashed.

10. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

oh yeah, being in FL, the chicks are wearing spaghetti strapped shirts, and the shortest shorts. some even wear sports bras or bikini tops to class. its almost like a contest to see who can show off the most skin. im not sure how i ever made it to graduation.

too bad you guys live up north ;)

11. uscmas412

uscmas412 Got GLOCK?

I have attended two universities, the University of South Carolina and Marshall University, and I have to say that the majority of the professors ARE liberals. Though they do not typically rant about gun control, Bush-bashing seems to be quite commonplace. As a poli sci major it is pretty easy to pick them out of the crowd, however, I don't ever feel that a professor has lessened my grade due to my opinion. Concerning the student bodies at either school, I would say the lefties outweigh the conservatives by a small margin.

12. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

We have some lookers - we just need to undress em a bit with our eyes. It makes it fun ;f

13. c5367

c5367 Esq.

The sad part is he can finance terrorists and thats OK, but if he were to make a crack about men being better at math than women, he'd be sent packing.

14. c5367

c5367 Esq.

We're getting triple digit temps up here in Chicgoland. Rest assured there is no shortage of skin to be seen:) It's a good thing I'm on summer vacation, otherwise I wouldn't make it to graduation!

15. Gatman

Gatman

What suburb u from? Im from Orland Park. Any good shooting places?

16. c5367

c5367 Esq.

I'm out in LIsle. I normally shoot over a Megasports, which isn't bad. No fun stuff though, i.e. double taps or from the holster shooting.

17. metallic

metallic

I've never had a problem at Louisiana Tech University. I've come across one or two liberal professors, one of which was actually a part of the local Kerry campaign. There was some covert Bush bashing, but nothing major.

18. jayfarm

jayfarm Grumpy Gun Nut

A fair amount of liberals here...

I do enjoy the looks I'll get when I mention that "I can't stay after class as I have a shoot to go to" or "I just got back from the range, so I haven't checked my e-mail yet."

Though by far, the best time was when I went walking around the campus with my kydex tactical thigh holster and my sidekick sholder holster. No guns of course, just the holsters and my did people stop and stare ;P .

A few brave souls stopped me along the way and found that I was just on campus for a minute, my guns back in the car (off campus streetside so still legal) with a fellow shooter having come from one range and going to another for back-to-back shoots.

19. podwich

podwich

I have the advantage of having a hard science degree, freeing me from the majority of political discussions.

20. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Smart guy. I started out as a bio major. I almost wish I'd continued on that route. Instead, I'm getting my B.A in B.S. (polisci) The political discussions can be pretty fun. There is nothing quite like opening the proverbial can on the lefties!