AC question for GT's car mechanics

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kevinr20, Sep 21, 2020.

1. milsurpy

milsurpy

My tacoma had the same symptoms. I had a bad fan cluch. Btw engine temps were unchanged.

Kevinr20 likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

I wonder how long he did the evacuation process. Usually takes awhile, and people like to charge extra for that, even though they just hook up a vacuum pump and walk away for awhile.

3. python357

python357 Old Fart in training

Start with the condenser fan.

4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I left the car (2007 Jeep Wrangler) overnight. Years ago I did all my own work on cars. these days I have nowhere to work on my car and I'm fortunate enough to have found an excellent local mechanic.

So all I need to know is the AC stopped working and I took it to the mechanic and he and his guys fixed it and now it works good.

Intolerant likes this.
  5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Thats awesome BW, because it`s next to impossible to find anyone you can trust these days. Most don`t know what they`re doing, and alot of them lie to the customer. I worked on my own vehicles for decades when i worked as a wrench in several dealerships. (Dodge/Chevy/Honda) Got tired of the thievery that i saw being pulled on customers, so i got out of the business. Did management for awhile, finally decided i hated it. Wen`t back into engineering, then retired after that. Now you just cant work on these vehicles anymore with out having special equipment to get into the computors in these vehicles now because your locked out.

6. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

If you work in dust or drive through fields blow out your radiator and condenser first. If that has no effect then look to mechanical issues. Could be something simple like a pressure switch in the ac system too

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

But it gets down to low 40's while driving. Even in 115 degree heat. It did not used to warm up when it comes to an idle so i know it's not normal. I think that is assuming you're not recirculating cooler cabin air and youre sucking in hot air from outside.

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Yeah you'd have to be pulling in air the entire time & that's the way it should be measured.

My car AC works better when I'm moving too, I assumed it was because air is flowing through the condenser coils when I'm moving. When I took it to the shop, they said it was within spec.

10. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I'm thinking it must be a bad/weak fan. It gets cold, just not while idling...no matter how hot it is outside, it'll eventually get low to mid 40's after recirculating air long enough.

11. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Yeah i know, in general, the ac is going to work better while moving...especially at highway speeds but thats not a factor here because the ac will cool down when i simply rev the rpms up to about 1200...even at a dead stop, the air will cool down again as long as the rpms are up. If i go back to idle, it warms up again. Going from low 40s to nearly 60 when coming to an idle seems....broken.

12. RANDYLAMA

RANDYLAMA

vacuum leak in line or reservoir

13. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Go to Dairy Queen and get a large Lime Mr. Misty and you won't need AC

14. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

What reservoir? Vacuum leak in the AC system?

15. RANDYLAMA

RANDYLAMA

google 2015 ram 1500 a/c vacuum schematic. had similar problem with ford van, replaced leaking vac res. problem solved. this is just a suggestion no guarantee,good luck

16. napp32

napp32

The condenser isn't getting enough airflow at idle. Possible causes: condenser fins clogged with dust and debri....weak fan clutch if vehicle is so equipped. Try washing out fins of condenser with hose.You can test airflow by holding a sheet of paper in front of condenser. The airflow should pull it up tight to the condenser.

17. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Ok so my update and question. I took a look and the condenser has a separate electric fan. When i started the truck, it was not on. I turned the ac on and it kicked on. I turned the ac off then back on and the fan did not turn on again. Is the condenser fan supposed to be on 100% of the time that the ac is on? If so, this is my problem...the fan is working intermittently.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Your AC condenser fan can run even if your AC is not on - on a real hot day after I stop and put my truck in park and I turn the AC off - the AC condenser fan keeps running. If I shut the truck off and go in a store for a few minutes - when I come back out the AC condenser fan will turn on even if I don't turn on the AC. I think it acts as auxiliary cooling capacity.

But some times even with the AC on the AC condenser fan will not kick in right away.

There is a pressure differential switch that controls the fan - I can't recall what it is based on - maybe the low and high side pressure difference?

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

BTW - Just because the fan is running doesn't mean it is OK -

They can still run but are not turning at a fast enough RPM -

I have had this issue with a Nissan pickup - and also with my Home AC system -

The fan was running but not going fast enough - so the system would not cool properly.

It should give a pretty loud ROAR when it is on -