Absentee Ballot vs. Mail-In Ballot: Is There A Difference?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by RussP, Aug 3, 2020.

1. thewitt

thewitt

I agree it will be a total **** show in NC. We get an email from the USPS with what's supposed to be coming in the mail, and half the time that mail doesn't show up...

rfd339 and mike from st pe like this.
  2. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Voting in the U.S.A. is way too easy. Voters that cannot build up enough ambition to go out to the polls with a photo ID do not deserve the privilege of voting.

3. jr24

jr24

A picture copy, like from a scanner or cell phone.

Not a physical copy. Sorry that was unclear.

4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I was assuming that in some states they allow illegals to have drivers licenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike from st pe likes this.
  5. jr24

jr24

Ah, yes. I do not believe that to be the case in this state (WI). I know the Dem gov talked about it during his campaign but don't believe he managed to get that done.

I know I've got that real ID thing on my license, confirmed by passport and Social Security card

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

California has a "Permanent Absentee Ballot" where any voter can sign up for the mail-in approach. For the first time, the .gov provided the postage for returning the primary ballot. I'm waiting to see if they do that for the general election.

Why in the world would I EVER want to go to a polling place and hang out with a couple of hundred people I don't want to know?

I have been voting by mail for decades. I don't even remember going to a polling place. I must have, MANY years ago, but I don't recall doing it.

The .gov (County?) sends me a document describing all the races and ballot measures at least a month before I get the ballot. I get the ballot a few weeks before it is due and all I have to do is color in some dots, stuff it in the envelope and stick it in the mailbox. Hardly a hassle! In the past, I have had to pay for postage.

7. thewitt

thewitt

You do know this is NOT the same as unsolicited mail-in ballots going to every registered voter in the state, whether they still live there or are even still alive, right?

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The big difference is that "absentee ballot" is limited to fewer people and they have to make more of an effort. The folks down out the trailer park and housing project are not going through all of that so they can sell the ballot for $20. It's hard to (1) identify everybody who got an absentee ballot and (2) mail a half-pint of whiskey to all of those overseas voters in trade for their vote.

Total mail-in voting is widespread and they mail out a ballot to everybody who is registered. Since the Democrats have worked for decades to make sure people who have no interest in voting are registered juts by having an ID or driver's license, that means truckloads of ballots going to people who don't want to vote, don't know who is running, probably can't read the instructions and who will trade that ballot for a half-pint of Kessler's (if Kessler's still exists). If everybody's got one, all you have to do is pull up in the hood with a case of half-pints or a roll of bills and the harvest is on.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. thewitt

thewitt

Just in case anyone thinks this whole mail-in thing is a good idea...

The NY Primary Race was 42 days ago with Mail In Ballots. They STILL DO NOT have the results, and it's been 42 days... A judge just CHANGED THE RULES to determine what additional ballots can be counted in the primary - likely because they don't like the results they are getting...

In Nevada, their new law automatically sends 2 ballots in every envelope to every registered voter, and WILL COUNT BALLOTS with NO POSTAGE that are received AFTER ELECTION DAY.

No opportunity for ballot tampering in Nevada I see...

10. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

DT now says mail in ballots are a good thing and is encouraging voters to vote by mail. What changed? Polls? Facts?

11. thewitt

thewitt

Trump is saying, as he has always been saying, that voters who REQUEST ABSENTEE BALLOTS will and should be allowed to vote by mail. Nothing in his message has changed.

Vote By Mail, like was just make law in Nevada, send unsolicited ballots to every registered voter, allows for counting of votes after election day, and even will count ballots with no postage that have not gone through the US Mail.

Here's his tweet. I've underlined the part you need to not skip over in this thread, just like the last one.

@realDonaldTrump

Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail! #MAGA

mike from st pe, Caver 60 and jr24 like this.
  12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

No ID is required in California to vote at a polling place. Your name/address probably needs to be on the roll. First time voters need to provide ID in order to become a registered voter.

So, somebody could register 50 years ago and somebody else can vote for them long after they die.

This is built-in fraud and has nothing whatsoever to do with mail-in ballots. The voter rolls are trash and always have been.

On my absentee ballot, I am required to sign the envelope and that signature is matched at the Regitrar's office. Yes, they check!

Section 3019 (a) (1)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=ELEC&sectionNum=3019

For those who assume the Registrar can't possibly verify that many signatures, we have:
    3019 (1) (1) (B) (3) which allows signature verification technology.

I don't know why it would be any different for any other type of mail-in ballot. The voter had to provide ID and probably a signature when they first registered to vote.

Only in the smallest states are the ballots actually counted after the polls close for distribution within hours. It is not at all uncommon to take a couple of days to certify the results, many times several days if the count is contested. It often is...

Electronic voting does improve on this but it does nothing for ID. In fact, it is counterproductive in that a voter doesn't need to provide ID to vote and there is no signature to compare. Besides being hackable, it is basically open to fraud. A voter would have to be on a precinct list to be able to walk in and vote by machine. They get on that list through the Registrar's office but apparently they aren't removed from the list when they die.

Think of all the Federal laws that would be broken with fraudulent mail-in voting. Among other things, mail fraud. Maybe there will be some prosecutions! Oh, wait! The Dems aren't going to prosecute Dem voters!

The entire system is subject to fraud at every level, mail-in voting just adds another source but probably minor compared to just dumping the completed ballots in a river.

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. Pythonman

Pythonman

Let’s see, the entire US Postal service is represented by a Union who are in turn 118% loyal Democrats. What could possibly go wrong?

And that’s just for starters.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Should be that way all over. In my state (for military) a commissioned officer could witness. I always voted absentee when on active duty. I was never stationed in my home state. So I had to vote that way.

Ramjet38 likes this.
  15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I don't know how other states are going to handle mail-in ballots but in California there is a process by which I may verify that my vote was actually counted. If enough Republicans verify their votes, we should be able to keep the system honest.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-status/

There is just as much opportunity to lose a truckload of paper ballots and I don't think voters can trace their vote with paper ballots. Maybe they can.

States have different procedures. California seems pretty clean.

There are a lot of shenanigans that could be pulled at the Registrar's office and this is monitored by representatives from both parties. Sometimes even polling places are monitored.

https://www.lavote.net/home/voting-elections/voting-options/at-the-polls/poll-monitoring

72% of the ballots cast in the March 2020 primary were absentee. Nearly 7 million absentee ballots.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/historical-absentee/

We have this stuff covered, no worries about mail-in voting in California. I don't know about other states.

16. screwman

screwman

Well, the people in the town I live near are gonna start having block parties to exchange all the miss delivered mail.

17. Csv

Csv

This isn't a final number but currently state wide Washington has a voter turnout of about 27.5%. Keep in mind, all it takes to vote here is a pen and enough ambition to fill out the ballot, stick in the return envelope, and put in out going mail (NO POSTAGE NEEDED).

My county is vastly Republican, a whooping 22.42% turnout.

It is absolutely pathetic.

edit to note the numbers aren't final.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. thewitt

thewitt

Mailing out millions of unsolicited ballots to every registered voter is NOT absentee balloting. Not by a long shot. Truck loads of ballots will show up after the election to make sure that the "right" candidate wins.

CA districts were among the WORST in the 2018 election for post-closure ballots where the Democrat candidate was more than 80% of the votes on the ballots, deviating significantly from the earlier ballots.

Yeah, CA has it covered. All districts will come in D unless somehow the trucks get lost with all those extra ballots.

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. thewitt

thewitt

I'm not sure that's abnormal for a primary election where the governor is considered a slam-dunk in the next general election.

20. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Voting by mail has been argued, in Oregon, numerous times as a voter fraud access, but we still have vote by mail. As long as the Democrats control the legislature it will remain! Every year dead people vote, illegals vote and I bet numerous are not ever counted!

Caver 60 likes this.