Absentee Ballot vs. Mail-In Ballot: Is There A Difference?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by RussP, Aug 3, 2020.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Absentee Ballot vs. Mail-In Ballot: Is There A Difference?

Yes, it’s complicated. But we’ve got a primer for you on absentee ballots vs. mail-in ballots. And please note: use the information in this article for your general information, but consult your local election officials for when and how you may vote. To get started, visit usa.gov and vote.gov.

What is an absentee ballot?
    Let’s start with some election basics. Normally, most US voters cast their ballots in person in a polling booth at a polling place/station based on where they are registered to vote. A ballot is the physical form (or electronic voting machine equivalent) that a voter fills out; it lists the candidates, issues, and so on that a person votes on.

An absentee ballot is a ballot used to cast an absentee vote, which is submitted, usually by mail, by an absentee. Absentee, here, refers to a person who can’t physically be present at a voting center on Election Day. Absentee voting in America goes back to the Civil War era, and every state allows this kind of voting in some form—and federal law, in fact, requires ballots be sent to military and overseas voters for federal elections.

To get an absentee ballot, a registered voter must request one through their state government, which accepts or rejects the application...

What is a no-excuse absentee ballot?
    Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia** use what’s sometimes called a no-excuse absentee ballot. This is similar to the strict absentee ballot previously noted in the 16 states above, but a registered voter doesn’t have to give a reason (excuse) why they can’t be at their polling location on Election Day. However, the states themselves may simply call this ballot an absentee ballot.

The lexical wrinkles don’t stop there! Some of these states (e.g., Pennsylvania) may refer to the no-excuse absentee ballot as a mail-in ballot...

So, what is a mail-in ballot?
    Five states—Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, and Hawaii—already conduct their elections through a mail-in process that’s often referred to as all-mail voting. Registered voters in these states automatically receive a mail ballot, which is sent to their address before Election Day and mailed back by the voter or deposited at a voting location or secure dropbox by a certain time on Election Day...

There's more at the link...

2. thewitt

thewitt

... and IF the state scrubs their voter rolls, the unsolicited mail in ballots MIGHT actually be OK.

Have the elections in WA state been above board since they moved to this approach? How would you know? It's certainly turned bright blue...

In NC there are approximately 2M names on the voter rolls who are NOT ALIVE or NO LONGER LIVING in the state. These people will ALL get ballots under the new scheme, and you can bet that the majority of them will be mailed in.

NC does not plan to scrub their voter roles before the election in November.

3. jr24

jr24

I know there was a big fight in 18 here in Wisconsin about scrubbing a few hundred thousand ineligible names from the rolls (I think it was that many) and considering we only have like 6 million total population and our last few big elections were decided by less than 40,000 votes, a few hundred thousand extra votes would be a huge deal.

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Did absentee once and it was such a hassle I've not done it since.

Intolerant and B C like this.
  5. jr24

jr24

Did it this year for the special election and it was easy enough, no hassle.

Except I don't/didn't trust my vote actually got counted.

hooligan74 and Intolerant like this.
  6. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Did you have to find a notary to prove who you are and sign the forms?

Caver 60 and Intolerant like this.
  7. thewitt

thewitt

In some states they don't bother to count them unless a normal distribution of the votes in the ballots would tilt an election one way or another.

Example, if the winner wins by 20,000 votes, and there are only 10,000 absentee ballots, they will not even be counted...

8. thewitt

thewitt

I've done it 15 times at least. I lived overseas for a while and votes in local, state and federal elections absentee. I had to request a ballot through the embassy 8 weeks before the election, and if I did not return it through the embassy 6 weeks before the election, it would not be processed.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. B C

B C

If politicians are fine with people going out and protesting arm in arm by the thousands, then they can stand 6 feet apart and vote in person.

Mail in ballots will be a joke. They will print so many in Dem states that they will be littered everywhere. Giving Dems time after election night to find more ballots is a real threat to election integrity. And that will happen.

10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

We have a problem here. I firmly believe in voter ID at the polls. Thing is my wife has some physical limitations and there is no way she can stand in line to vote. We are seniors and are forced to vote by mail. I really wish I felt better about the situation.

Pythonman and tuica like this.
  11. jr24

jr24

Nope, just had to have any old witness sign the form (in this case, my wife). To get the form I had to send in a copy of my driver's license as proof of citizenship.

12. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

That's good. I wasn't that lucky.

Caver 60 and Intolerant like this.
  13. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

14. jr24

jr24

hooligan74, rfd339 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  15. Csv

Csv

I can say since Washington went to all mail voting, my ballot was not counted at least once. Mailed prior to deadline, months later received notice saying it wasn't post marked in time so was not counted. You can track you ballot in Washington.

Also Washington's SOS is a Republican. That said, I would say there is an above 50% chance of illegal aliens getting ballots if the have a state issued ID.

Caver 60, Flags and tuica like this.
  16. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    [​IMG]

tuica likes this.
  17. nursetim

nursetim

Ahhh, but the real question is, has he talked to his cat about gun safety.

18. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Bet that hard to do because the cat with that curved trigger claw.

SevenSixtyTwo and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  19. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

If we in N.C. do this it's over. Hell ,our mail carrier cant even get our Amazon to us. I end exchanging mail with the person who gets my mail. All our carrier sees is 116 and drops it at the first one.

Caver 60 likes this.
  20. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

USPS doesn’t deliver Amazon here. Even the smallest envelope is delivered by the Amazon van guy.
    We receive our ballots in the mail and I drop them off at the supervisor of elections office. In Florida, with so many old folks, Republicans benefit from mail in ballots. Probably more so this year with geezers avoiding crowds.

rfd339 likes this.