Above The Law...”Professional Courtesy”

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by amd65, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

Friend blew a 0.08 100 yards from his house after a wedding. Rural area. Life went on.

Caver 60 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    <---has had no shortage of people with carry permits ask for a break

<---hasn't posted about it before because he recognizes they are in the minority

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

3. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Shots fired in commercial area, violent domestic, fresh dead person, Officer in dire need of assistance, injury collision, vehicle driving the wrong way down the Interstate, etc.

Those may not apply in a metropolitan area, but in rural places, where there may only be a couple of LEO's for a large geographical area, you do the best with what you can. Sometimes, that means you have to make hard decisions. Sometimes, the best decision is to lock the drunk's keys in their car and leave them to figure it out. Obviously, common sense has to be applied.

Detectorist and Mathemagician1 like this.
  4. amd65

amd65

It’s wrong on many levels.
    For example, you have a cop doing his job. He sees a moron do something stupid enough to cause him to flip on his lights and pursue. Now, it isn’t exactly safe to pull somebody over on the side of the highway, plenty of cops have been killed or injured on the side of the highway. For all that, he finds a “brother officer”..
    And let’s him go??
    I routinely give first responders 10% off in the safety shoe store I work in. Not company policy, my own. Wonder if they’ll do the same for me.

5. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Got no problem with that. IMO .08 is ridiculous for an automatic arrest.

In my youth, if you obviously had been drinking but hadn't done anything else "wrong" and were obviously capable of functioning normally, they would tell you to park in the nearest available public parking space and sleep it off. And as you say "life went on"

6. Detectorist

Detectorist

Those folks have no power. They can't ruin your life by taking you to jail. Apples and oranges.

Caver 60 likes this.
  7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Bolded part is the key. MAD got things lowered from a reasonable .1 to .08. Big difference between staggering drunk and two or three beers, especially with a meal.

Problem is, if they smell it on your breath, what do you think the odds are that you will pass a field sobriety test? It's their word against your's. Who do you think a judge is going to believe?

BTW I've never been arrested for DUI. Never even so much as had a speeding ticket, since 1967.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

You can intentionally miss the point of you want.

<--has seen no shortage of people with carry permits carrying while DWI/DUI.

<--has seen no shortage of intoxicated people carrying guns.

<--hasn't posted about it like this before because he knows they represent the minority.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I may drive after a beer with dinner, but even that is rare for me. Should you get a dui for two or three beers? I don't think so, but I'm not going to die on that hill.

And what if somebody jumps in front of your car, or runs a red light? It gets more complicated. It's just not worth the risk.

Mathemagician1 likes this.
  10. clancy

clancy

A break for what? DWI? Shooting someone?

Detectorist and Mathemagician1 like this.
  11. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I've told you before, I wasn't "driving under the influence" I was "traveling in a maritime land vessel with an open container" which isn't against maritime laws. I know my rights, read article four...

K. Foster, larry_minn and TBO like this.
  12. clancy

clancy

From my admittedly limited view point, I have seen a huge change in cops tolerating law breaking, especially DWI, the past 30 years I have worked as a bartender. When I first started tending bar the cops who frequented my place of employment acted as if they were untouchable, and pretty much were. I know a trooper the left my bar and side swiped an oncoming car. The driver of the car he hit got ticketed, and the trooper was in the bar the next night, laughing about it. A local deputy who lost his job after his 3rd DWI, another deputy who lost his job for wrecking his patrol car, and was drunk while on duty. He was in the bar,in uniform, on the job, doing shots. It was, I believe, the 2nd patrol car he wrecked that way. A very drunk off duty NYC cop who shot the juke box up because he didn't like country music that got covered up and nothing happened to him. None of that would be tolerated now.

Now I know of several local cops who have lost their jobs with their first DWI. Corrections officers used to get a pass with DWI's. Not anymore. I know at least a dozen who have been arrested for DWI the past year alone. It also seems as if the local cops and deputies are headhunting troopers now, in order to nail them for DWI's. But there has been a lot of bad blood between local law enforcement and the troopers for years now.

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

DWI yes, carrying while intox, yes, domestic yes, theft yes, assault yes, Disorderly yes/etc etc.

Shooting someone, no.

clancy and Just_plinking like this.
  14. Detectorist

Detectorist

I didn't miss the point. Your diversion tactic doesn't work. It's an order of magnitude different. Everyone asks for leniency. Cops used to let other cops slide. It's very different now.

Jonesee likes this.
  15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I've give immeasurably more breaks to non- cops than I've given to Cops.

16. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

That's good, then what is the complaint?

17. Naelbis

Naelbis

Meh, I've seen cops get a pass for DUI, Theft, Terrorizing, Attempted Murder, Domestics, violating protection orders, Drugs and more. The only things guaranteed to not get a pass around here are sex offenses. If it can be handled under the radar and out of the public eye..it is.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Captain from an outside agency?

Ooooohhhhhh, sergeant can I arrest him please? Please? Please? Please? I promise I won't call out one of our manger's name out while I arrest him.

**** him. We arrested an out of the area copper for drunk in public after some sort of brawl downtown at our bar. Typical bar fight. No one want to press charges but since he was sloppy drunk with a gun he was coming with us. His gun stayed with us until his agency sent someone to pick it up along with a copy of the report. The average Joe would probably have just been sent home and the gun kept until he was sober. The last thing we need in our town is drunk people with guns....well more than usual levels.

TBO likes this.