About to join the glock family.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pitmanr2003, Mar 15, 2010.

1. pitmanr2003

pitmanr2003

I want a g17 to shoot idpa and have looked at a 3 gen and 4 gen and really like the 4 gen better. I had heard that glocks point a little different than a gun like my xd. The salesmen at the gun store said try the new 4 gen. It pointed excelent and he said now try the 3 gen and for some wierd reason it pointed down compared to 4 gen. I havent read anywhere that they did anything to the grip angle or anything that would of made it aim better. I couldnt even see a difference in angles. Does anyone know what would have caused this or if there was some changes to that. I really liked the gun and cant wait to get it and shoot a glock for the first time.

2. G20gunner

G20gunner

I haven't heard of any grip shape changes, but I just wanted to say welcome, and post some pics of your new Glock when you get it:supergrin:.

G20gunner:wavey:

3. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

4. floorburn_21

floorburn_21 Medium speed, some drag.

welcome to gt and it's a good decision as long as it's a Glock ;)

5. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Congrats and welcome!

6. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Good morning..... welcome aboard. You're about to purchase a dependable and terrific pistol. Probably first of many....

To answer your question, let me provide my opinion, Although the grip angle on the 4th Gen model is essentially the same, with the addition of the replaceable backstrap feature, you may be feeling the slight differences in palm fit / feel. It's my understanding that the 4th Gen model without any additional backstraps is the equivalent of having the Glock Short Frame where the distance from front to back of grip is less than average (such as the 3rd Gen Glock 19). Adding the smaller backstrap would have it match the 3rd Gen. Adding the larger backstrap gets it to feel like that of the larger caliber models such as those for .45cal

Hope that this helps.

7. pitmanr2003

pitmanr2003

thanks and nice to meet u all.

It actually had the small one on it i beleive. oh well i like it so i quess it dont really matter. lol

8. bac1023

bac1023

9. Strahley

Strahley

Welcome to the board!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that grip angle and how it pointed the first time you held it. Once you start shooting a gun and adapt to it, it will become second nature to you. With me for example, when I used to bring a 1911 straight up, the front sight would be about an inch too low to even see it. With practice and getting used to them, they come up just fine for me now

With that said, I'd suggest the Gen 3. I've heard a lot of mishaps with Gen 4s so far, so I would let others get the bugs worked out of them first. The Gen 3 is pretty much rock solid proven

10. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Welcome to the forum pitmanr2003 :wavey: