close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

About to by a glock, have questions about Competitions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by center-mass23, Jan 28, 2006.

1. center-mass23

center-mass23

Hello,

I am in the process of deciding what type of glock I want to buy. The Glock that is most comfortable in my hand is the Glock 23, 40 S&W. I also shoot this model well. I want this pistol for home protection, but I would also like to compete in glock competitions as well. Can I compete with the Glock 23? If so, in what categories? If not what other Glock models could be used for both home protection and competition?

2. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

You can shoot in ESP and SSP divisions in IDPA with it.

Many guys do at our club.

3. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Glock .40 cal pistols work well in either USPSA or IDPA.

The Glock 9mm models do have one advantage - ammo cost - It's usually less expensive to shoot 9mm, which means that practice can be more frequent or allow more ammo for each practice session, or BOTH.

The 9mm and .40 cal Glocks are identical in size and weight. Recoil is perhaps the only major difference.

There is a difference in USPSA Production Pistol class - .40cal and 9mm caliburs score the same. In this case, the 9mm would more than likely have an advantage due to the reduced recoil of the 9mm vs the .40.

IDPA may have similar "advantages" for 9mm, but haven't shot that in about 3 years, so I can't say FOR SURE how this does work with IDPA...

If this is a CCW pistol too, you may want to consider the .40 over the 9mm for stopping power. I personally like the high cartrige count of 9mm, so that is what I selected.

You will love competition once you get started. It's a great way to become PROFICIENT with your handgun(s). Neither USPSA or IDPA are considered "Training". They are an excellent way to get really good at handling your firearm while "stressed". Once you start shooting in front of a crowd, you will see what I mean about "stress"...(grin)

Hope that helps you make a decision!

4. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

I thought 9mm scored minor putting it at a disadvantage against the 40 which scores major.

Ok I found it in the rule book. There is no major in production.

5. center-mass23

center-mass23

Thanks for all the information!!!

6. cmzneb

cmzneb

If you want a Glock .40 for personal protection and competition.....

The Glock 35 :cool:

7. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

C-M,

As CMZ said - the Glock 35 would be the best choice for HD and competition, in my opinion. However, if you like the feel of the 23, then get it. I've shot many many competitions with a G23, and even won a few with it. It's a teriffic gun.

Koski

8. rledwards

rledwards Semper Fi

If, as you said in the original post, you also want to shoot in GSSF matches, then the G23 would be better than the G35, because you can shoot the G23 in Am. Civilian division but the G35 must be shot in Competition division. See the GSSF rules at www.gssfonline.com.

The full-size G22 might be a little more competitive than the compact G23, but it really is whatever you shoot better. And the G23 conceals a little better than the G22 if that is a concern.

The 9mm versions would be more competitive than the .40 caliber pistols in IDPA SSP, IPSC/USPSA production and GSSF, just because of ammo costs and recoil, if you use factory ammo. If you reload then the recoil advantage, at the same power factor, goes to the .40.

For the gun games I prefer the 9mm, while for defensive use I prefer the .45 acp.

--Lin