close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

About Crossfit.........

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Jan 26, 2007.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Nothing too big. I've been Crossfitting since Thanksgiving weekend. Today, i did a scaled Elizabath for the second time. The first time I subbed 115 lbs in the clean and bar dips for the ring dips one for one. My time was over 24 minutes, something like 24:34.

Today, a little over a month later, I cleaned more weight (62 lb dumbells) and did the same amount of dips. It didn't seem nearly as hard and I completed the WoD in under 18 minutes!
    There may be something to this stuff as far as increasing work capacity!

Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

:banana: :banana: :banana: That is awesome!

I think you're definitely right. I've noticed the same thing on every WoD that I've repeated.

Now if I could just stay healthy long enough to enjoy it...

3. California Jack

Thanks Brad. Now my only question is, does this increase in work capacity increase my health in any way?

Dayum I'm getting old.

Jack

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Great job Jack!

I still haven't tried Crossfit, but I love listening to you guys talk about it.

It sounds like you're having an orgy when you say stuff like "I did Elizabeth for the second time" and "we nailed Helen" and "I can't wait to try Samantha again"! :banana:

5. DBradD

DBradD

Hmmm. That's not good. I was thinking of doing Michael next week. :alex:

I have to be careful or somebody will get the idea that this is Brokeback H&F Forum!

Michael (Pack Version) = 3 rounds for time of
    800m run
    35 back extensions
    35 situps

6. DBradD

DBradD

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Are you typing about improving health as in living longer, not having a heart attack, etc., or overall quality of life enhancement?

If it's the first, then I have no clue if CF is better than other programs like bodybuilding + cardio machines.

As for the second, I haven't yet benefited from CF because I've kept hurting myself. Other than my MetCon, I'm A LOT worse off now than when I started.

While I take personal responsibility, it's a lot harder to stay healthy with CF than with calisthenics, bodybuilding, powerlifting, steady-state cardio, etc. The CF message boards and WoD journals are filled with injury recovery threads, even among a lot of the hotshot veteran CFers who supposedly know what they're doing.

On the other hand, I'm 36 and had lots of weaknesses and imbalances when I started CF, especially in my middle & upper back. This could be just what I need to get on the right track, a wakeup call if nothing else. Hunching over a desk pretty much everyday since I was 18 has certainly taken a toll.

7. California Jack

I mostly mean the first part. In particular I'm interested in prevention of coronary disease.

My Dr.'s Heart Cure book talks about intense interval cardio as being best to prevent death in case of a heart attack. But I can't find where it says what is better for you blood chemistry.

I just know I don't want to go on statins.

8. California Jack

If it were only that fun........

Thanks!

9. DBradD

DBradD

So does that mean you have cholesterol problems?

My wife did a funny thing a few years ago. She stopped eating meat for a year and her cholesterol went from 150 to just under 100, IIRC. I've been telling myself that I'd try something like that before drugs if I get that problem at some point. I'd have to research it more, though.

10. California Jack

I have heart disease on both sides of my family. My father had a severe heart attack when he was 35. Both of my mother's brothers died in their 40s from heart disease. My cholesterol is borderline. All this and a pill pushing physician are heading me toward a statin perscription. I fear the statins.

BTW, according to the Doctors Heart Cure book, grass fed beef is said to improve cholesterol levels.

11. DBradD

DBradD

Wow, sorry to read that. Thinking ahead and being into fitness would seem to give you a great advantage.

I'd say my family is a bit worse than average in that regard also, with the men having heart problems and the women having diabetes. I only had one grandparent make it past 70. I have a touch of hypoglycemia, so I'm more afraid of diabetes.

That's interesting about the grass fed beef. I started to call around the other day and see if anybody near here sells it.

I just got my Paleo for Athletes book. It's time for me to come into this century with regard to diet. Paleo for Athletes appealed to me because he supposedly goes into what to eat before & after workouts and the Paleo idea made sense to me in general.

Edit: On the subject of CF enhancing quality of life in general, I can say one thing from today's lab tests: CF doesn't seem to help with 6 hours of outdoor tests in the cold! I did that today and I'm completely zonked. It wasn't even that cold, about 50 deg. with nearly constant very high winds. I'm sure I would've done at least as well last year, perhaps better with a slower metabolism. This goes back to the "what is fitness" question.

12. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Jack, Have you tried a low fat diet? I know it goes against the zone prescription but it seems to work for a lot of people to get their cholesterol down. If it still doesn't come down, then maybe the statins are the best bet. Most people expect a prescription when they go to the doctor, so maybe your doc feels he needs to write one. I'm no doctor or expert but I bet the statins are pretty safe overall. I'd fear heart disease more than the statins. Jack

13. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Oh yeah, that was an awesome effort with Elizabeth! You know, the main benefit I got from Crossfit was learning the Olympic lifts and also how I started with Xfit and stopped fearing trying to lift heavy (history of back problems including some nice fractured/compressed vertebrae).

14. Halojumper

Halojumper

I read the same book and I have had a hard time locating grass fed beef. Have you found a source?

15. DBradD

DBradD

I almost kissed the clown tonight, and it's REALLY hard to make me do that.

I did the Pack version of Michael (3 rounds of 800m, 35 Back Ext., 35 Situps) and demolished my PR. Was 31:57 and tonight I got 28:57. :banana: :banana: :banana: My first 800m split was 3:20-something and I knew I was screwed. When I do 3x800m, I usually do about 3:30-3:40 and that's without the BE and situps, and with 4 min. of rest.

I really thought after my 2nd 800m run that I might toss my cookies.