close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

about buying a firearm

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock19 lover, Mar 25, 2010.

1. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

So me and a buddy where talking, and the subject was "background checks":upeyes:
    He asked me if background checks for rifles, the same for handguns. :dunno:
    IDK the answer to this so i thought i would ask you guys. :rofl: If anyone knows the answer can you please let me know... Thanks everyone

2. porkchop817

porkchop817

3. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

4. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

WOW!!!! those are some quick replies :rofl::rofl: How about one more person to confirm this information.:tongueout: :rofl::rofl:

5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

:whistling: Illegally buying firearms is illegal...:whistling:

6. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

LOL i did not mean illegal in anyway.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

They're the same. And the little form you fill out(the 4473) exists forever. The only difference is that depending what state you live in, state law enforcement agencies may conduct their own background investigation and you may have to have a permit to purchase or possess a handgun.

According to federal law, the only differences between the two are the age required to buy a long gun or handgun, and if buying a handgun you must take possession of the handgun in your state of residence from an FFL.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

Now thats the type of answer I was looking for. :rofl:Thanks everyone.

9. easyg

easyg

They are not the same in NC.

To buy a handgun in the NC county where I live one must first go to the Sheriff's Department and fill out a handgun permit request (you can request more than one permit at a time), pay $5.00 dollars per permit (the permits are good for 5 years), and then wait till they call you and let you know if you were approved for the permit(s).
    It took about two weeks to get the call that I had been approved, but I have heard that it can take longer (but seldom less time).
    I then had to go back to the Sheriff's Department and pick up the permits.
    When you buy a handgun, the dealer that you are buying from keeps the permit you used to purchase with.

But you don't need a permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun in my county.
    And to my knowledge the Sheriff's Department does not conduct as thorough of a background check for long-guns as it does for handguns.
    Just a quick telephone check to see if you have any outstanding warrants or are a felon.

The handgun purchase permit is not to be confused with a Concealed Carry Permit for NC.
    The Concealed Carry Permit allows one to buy as many handguns as desired without the need of a handgun purchase permit, and of course to carry a concealed handgun.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

:faint:What a PITA. I'm glad California doesn't do that..........yet :upeyes: and i hope they never do.

11. Flipz

Flipz

The best answer to your question is, it depends on what state you live in. Look up your local firearm laws. If youre unsure about any of the requirements contact your state police or take a trip to your local gun shop and ask. Every state is different, even some countys in the same state are different from others.

12. easyg

easyg

Yeah, it is a pit of a PITA, but at least NC allows high capacity magazines. :tongueout:

Just joking with ya. :wavey:

13. das9mm26

das9mm26

FWIW.....
    In New Hampshire, there are different contact centers for long guns and handguns.....
    While I was at my local shop this past Monday, someone was purchasing an AR-15; the clerk called it in....While he was waiting for the return call for authorization/hold/reject.....I made my choice for a handgun purchase.
    I mentioned if I'd "been a little quicker...you could've called BOTH in at the same time!" He replied, "No...the long guns get called into XXXX....the handguns go to YYYY...."
    Your state MAY have a different procedure.....
    The form, however, IS the same.....4473.

14. timbob

timbob

Maybe someone forgot to tell you, but you live in California.

Here's how we roll in my state:

1. Go to the store and point at a Glock and say 'Gimmie dat'
    2. Exit the store 20 minutes later with a new firearm
    3. Head on over to your basic NRA pistol instruction for a day
    4. Take your NRA certificate to the sheriff dept and walk away with a CCW permit
    5. Load up a 31rd magazine into said Glock, strap it into your holster and Open Carry as you please.

15. easyg

easyg

So you need a "concealed carry permit" in order to "open carry"???

16. timbob

timbob

Not necessarily, but it gets rather annoying trying to open carry without one. Even if openly carried on a holster on your hip, the moment you enter a motor vehicle it is considered a concealed firearm. So you have to literally unload all the rounds from your mag each time you get into a vehicle and store the firearm in a separate place.

If you were always on foot it wouldn't be an issue.

17. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

in utah the differences are the age requirements and also when the ffl calls to get they OK they will ask if you are buying a handgun or long gun.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010