close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? about boosting wireless LinkSys Signal

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

I am currently running 2 PCs through a Linksys Wireless G (Model WRT54G I think) on the main PC and then my PC has the wireless G USB Network Adaptor (Model WUSB54G). This is also on Cox highspeed internet.

Up until about 3 weeks ago my signal has been great. Since then it REALLY is slow, somewhat reminescent of dial-up on a bad day. :(

The PCs are both on the 1st floor of our home, about 35-45' apart, seperated by one bedroom door. Is there any way to boost the signal? Will those range expander's or antenae's help or are those just gimics?

Any suggestions would help. Perhaps I need to run some type of diagnosis on my PC and see if I haven't got someone using our network that's not suppose to. I was pretty sure I was safe, but perhaps not. Could be a neighbor has some new toy that's being used... I just don't know.

Thanks.

2. thonl

thonl Millennium Member

If it is a wrt54g, there is a third party firmware upgrade that has radio power adjusters in it, where the stock linksys doesnt.

I am running this now, and couldnt be happier!

www.dd-wrt.com

If you arent comfortable messing around with this, sometimes the introduction of a new wireless device in your home can have an impact.

Try changing the channel that your router broadcasts on to a different one(there are usually 11 different channel options) and see if it gets better.

3. biblefreak

biblefreak

Be careful with the firmware upgrades! Serial # CGN7xxxx started using a different OS on a smaller chip. I have heard of people hacking these, but from what I understand it is nowhere near as easy or the results as impressive as were the CGN6xxxx serial #s that ran a *nix on a larger chip. The good news is if you look around, you can still find the CGN6xxxx serialed boxes in some brick and mortar stores (the serial # is marked on the back of the box lower left hand corner if I recall). Second piece of good news- Linksys still offers the router running *nix on the original size chip in a router called the WRT54G-L, but you have to order it online around here as none of the brick and morters carry it.

Hope this helps. You can do some Google searching and come up with TONS of info on this subject.

Good Luck.

4. nu2carry

nu2carry

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

+1

6. thonl

thonl Millennium Member

Those are more for long distances when you have line of sight, outdoors.

A co-worker that goes to the burning man festival used those(home made) out in the desert to get 3+ mile transmissions using standard 802.11 gear...

7. nu2carry

nu2carry

So a 1500' distance to a pole barn should be a breeze...Right?

8. thonl

thonl Millennium Member

No sweat, whatsoever. Especially if you are going to buy their's

Hardest part with those things are the measurements, and getting everything all put together withoutbending/moving stuff.

Pre-assembled is the way to go for someone that wants something that "just works"

9. nu2carry

nu2carry

:thumbsup: