close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Able to drink less with age?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Jan 5, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

In undergrad my wife and I could drink all night, have some fun, pass out and be fine the next morning. That was between 5-10 years ago. Now, I'm still good to go but she's a super lightweight! More than a few glasses of wine or a few mixed drinks and she's worshiping the porcelin god.

On New Years Eve we were at a wedding. I put away a dozen beers or so and, while I couldn't walk straight and invented dance moves never seen before, I was fine. She wasn't doing so well afterwards. Couldn't keep anything down later that night and had a horrible hangover the next day.

This happen to anyone else? I always figured that the older you got the more your body could tolerate. :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. OmegaRunner

OmegaRunner

I think it depends on how frequently you drink. In my early 20s I drank 5-6 nights a week. I could put back a 12 pack with ease. By the time I was 35 if I drank that much, I would be under the table. I'm 40 now and I gave up drinking for good. I place a lot more importance on physical fitness now and if I am going to consume empty calories, I would rather have donuts.

3. Lewsid 13

Lewsid 13 Senior Member

When I first started drinking, I could put down some serious booze, pass out, and wake up the next morning and function like nothing happened. Now (36) my tolerence is about the same, but DAMN I get some wicked hangovers. This started happening around age 29 or 30, and has slowly gotten worse as the years pass.

Now, I rarely drink. I have a random glass of wine a couple times a month, but only "go out drinking" a couple times a year. I think it is as explainable as our filter (liver) simply wearing out as we get older.

4. Lewsid 13

Lewsid 13 Senior Member

I would agree with you wholeheartedly!

5. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I think a loth of it is the growing wisdom to know what makes you hurt!

I've figured out that, as much as I like a good bourbon, it has a way of puttin' the hurt on me.

Beer just makes me happy, and I don't need that many of 'em to make me happy anymore.

6. stephen_g22

stephen_g22

Hank Williams Jr song "All my rowdy friends have settled down" has a lyric - the hangovers hurt more than they used to.

I agree 100%

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

When your body encounters alcohol on a regular basis it becomes more efficient at processing it. I believe the term is "enzyme induced" Same kinda thing that makes heavy drinkers and drug users buck during surgery and makes it tough for a dentist to numb you up.

Hey EMT -- what is your graduate degree in?

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Clinical Psychology and Counseling with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy

-Emt1581

9. certifiedfunds

No kidding? Private practice?

(sorry for the derail, I just always assumed you were an "EMT")

10. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Back in the day I could competitively drink against just about anyone and still walk or shuffle away under my own power. Nowadays if I have more than a couple drinks I'm outa sorts for 3 days.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I volunteer as an EMT.

I'm actually just waiting for my license to come in the mail and I'll be able to take private insurance on my own. I've been in private practice for a few years now, plus I've worked at residential/locked facilities, schools, prosecutor's office and hospitals.

Now that I'll have my license I actually want to find a full time job that pays better and do the private practice on the side. Problem in this area is finding such a decent full time job.

-Emt1581

12. certifiedfunds

Interesting. Good luck.

(I didn't realize insurance paid for that)

13. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I would count having a woman who got sick from drinking alcohol as a blessing. Just one less thing to worry about.

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

A blessing?!?!

She used to turn into Jenna Jameson but better...now it's like babysitting a cranky/sick 3 year old! :upeyes:

But yeah I'll take this over an alcoholic any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

-Emt1581

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yup. I mean every policy is different but typically insurance will allow a certain number of sessions and then there are co-pays and the insurance covers the rest.

If you get into a specialization like sex therapy, most of the ones around here are cash/private pay only. They make a pretty penny!!

-Emt1581

16. certifiedfunds

You should get into sex therapy.

Sounds like a no brainer.

And write a book about your clients.

I'll buy it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  17. Kabarred

Kabarred

I college we get a little (lot) (actually, a whole lot) tuned up every thursday. I always seen to be able to make it to 9am class on friday just fine.

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Easier said than done. I mean I have a bunch of grad level human sexuality courses under my belt, but without my EdD in human sexuality I doubt I'd get as much business any time soon than those who are already established as sex therapists in the area.

Not totally out of the question though. The two things I said I wanted to do were sex therapist and LEO.

-Emt1581

19. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

It's on a cycle. Initially, for a few years you do, in fact, build up a tolerance. Then, as you get older, other factors can kick in. A younger, healthier body can fight off a hangover a lot faster. With age, drinking can become less and less enjoyable even as addiction grows stronger. Diabetes and medications start to screw up the fun.

Don't ask me how I know this.

20. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

Given your younger age, the problem may be that champagne, drunk by many on New Year's Eve, can give a far nastier hangover than other libations.