Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already began a greasing the groove regimen of pushups and pullups and decided that I'd do some work on my abs. I have virtually no fat on my stomach and have visible muscle, but would like to make them stronger and more defined. I know situps aren't good for your back, which is OK because it takes 50-100 situps to actually cause them to burn. I'm doing some bicycle kicks but they mess with my hip. Is their any exercises I can do to add on to my abdominal muscles?

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Rowing machine :thumbsup:

·
A town down
74 Posts
My Mon/Wed/Fri morning routine is:

3 sets of 20 Russian Twists
3 sets of 20 reverse crunces (I use leg weights on my ankles)
3 sets of 20 Crunches on a decline bench with 25 pound plate behind my head (I feel it more when I hold the weight behind my head)
3 sets of 20 leg raises

Once in a while I'll mix in 3 sets of 8 side bends with a 50 pound dumbell. I dont do them every ab day though, because I dont like to pound the obliques with too much weight. I'm worried that it will be detrimental to the V shape that I'm trying to build.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both of the tips. I think I've got a rowing machine somewhere and I'll try out the m/w/f routine too.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
- Knees to elbows (hang on a pull-up bar, then pull your knees up and touch your elbows)
- lift a bunch of heavy stuff overhead (overhead squats, snatch, etc.)
- planks
- ab wheel
- L-sits
- lift more stuff overhead, and maybe throw in some cleans of some sort

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
I'll try to type out the one I've been using. I found it in M&F, so obviously I was a little skeptical, but SOB, it's been helping.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
- Knees to elbows (hang on a pull-up bar, then pull your knees up and touch your elbows)
- lift a bunch of heavy stuff overhead (overhead squats, snatch, etc.)
- planks
- ab wheel
- L-sits
- lift more stuff overhead, and maybe throw in some cleans of some sort
I'll definately try the pullup bar one. I've already notice the unexpected impact that just normal chinups/pullups are having upon my abs :wow: My palms are blistered, so I've got to take a break for a day or so from any max rep sets, but I'll try this out in a few minutes. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'll definately try the pullup bar one. I've already notice the unexpected impact that just normal chinups/pullups are having upon my abs :wow: My palms are blistered, so I've got to take a break for a day or so from any max rep sets, but I'll try this out in a few minutes. Thanks!
Cool. Post back on how you like them. I think it's a killer exercise. It's in my regimen.

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
Wow Turbo, knees to elbows sound brutal, and effective.

I do:

V-ups
Russian twists
Sland board crunches with bands
Planks

Used to use the ab wheel, but it seems to bother my eternally injured shoulders.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can use weight plates too. Or a small dog. Babies. Full jugs of protein powder. Pumkins......

LOL.

I use weight plates.
Holy moly... I never knew that Russian twists were called Russian twists. I've been doing these and calling them trunk twists. I took it out of Ross' hardcore video here, about 2:22 minutes into the video => http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html I use a 45lb weight plate, sitting on my decline bench.

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts

·
A town down
74 Posts
For the Russian twists you use an exercise ball, right?

I dont myself, but you could. I've messed around with the swiss ball exercises, but I dont really like it.

I think I'm going to pickup an ab wheel this weekend. My routine needs a little bit of change. Looks like fun.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont myself, but you could. I've messed around with the swiss ball exercises, but I dont really like it.

That's good. I didn't really want to use the exercise ball but most of the demonstrations of russian twists I found had people using them, so I wasn't really sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts