close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ABC news showed the impact.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by john58, Feb 12, 2010.

1. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I was watching the ABC news and they broadcast the video from the poor guy died on the luge run today. It was a very sudden stop. Do you think showing the moment that someone has a death causing imapct be shown on tv? Call me old fashioned but I don't feel that it was appropriate to show that on the evening news.

2. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Not really appropriate. Not because it was graphic or gross. Just a lack of respect for the man.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

1. The camera operator didn't have the decency to either turn the camera off or turn it away at the last instant.

2. The production team on site didn't have the decency to edit it out.

3. The production team in N.Y. didn't have the decency to edit it out either.

4. They'll be toasting each other in their respective bars tonight talking about the journalism award they hope to snag from their little snuff film.

4. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I agree there was no respect for this guy. The media lives by "If it bleeds it leads" credo.

5. rahrah12

rahrah12

my only problem with the footage being shown so soon is that I hope the family had been notified first.

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

A to #1. It was so sudden, I doubt the cameraman had the time to react much at all. As to the rest, there was plenty of time to not show that horrific moment. As I said in the main thread, prayers to his family, his team, ad his country.

I remember the uproar the "Faces of Death" films caused when they were big. The unfortunate thing, is there are people who will watching it for years for ENJOYMENT. One of the things that kept me from ever looking into becoming a photojournalist is I doubt I could keep taking pictures, instead of dropping the camera and helping someone.

I remember one of the photography books I checked out of our library one time had a photo sequence from a racetrack. The camera crews were on little towers. One of the guys doing video was hit in a one in a million freak accident by a blower or something that came off the car when something in the engine of one of the race cars blew. I doubt the guy taking the sequence of stills even saw what was coming. He was just following the engine part, with his camera on sequential exposure. Last two pics were of the guy on the video platform crumpling down.

Should the pic sequence have been used in the book? I'm actually mixed on that one. It showed the dangers of doing the job in question. Although, like I said, it was one of those rarer than the lottery one in a million things.

8. Dragline

Dragline

If a camera operator did that, at the very least the editor or producer would rip him a new one. At the very worst he would be fired and then have a tough time getting another similar job.

It's not the camera guy's job to decide on his own what he feels is 'decent'.
    His job is to capture the area or action he is assigned to capture.

Your points about the editing however are fair and valid.

9. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

The world has gone from showing respect to how to better ones own self. Then not only is it the camera mans choice to continue filming it, but also the people who makes the choice to actually continue showing it.
    -Joel

10. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Yeah. No kidding. This thing didn't need to be shown. I'd say journalists should show more respect for the man.

But what do they care. If it bleeds it leads. I was surprised they didn't run it first thing.

11. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

AFN just showed the same clip including the impact and the luger laying limp. then they showed stills of the paramedics trying to help him.

My prayers to the young man's family.

That's because you're a good man, Scott.

12. Swiper

Swiper

NBC showed it on the opening ceremony special.

13. Historian

It's a dirty industry, journalism.

I used to listen to Don Henley's Dirty Laundry every night on my way into the local fish wrapper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7GNzzIVIo

Everything you ever wanted to know about the business. You would have thought he was an insider.

14. Glenn129

Glenn129

I wish the Olympic people had put up something to prevent the guy from hitting the steel posts. Maybe they will now. I was thinking some plywood with paddiing would have helped.

15. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Welcome, fellow Romans, to The Colosseum.

We have come 2000 years, full circle.

Let the streets run red for our amazement.......

16. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

+1 terrible

17. Historian

They were told to do this very thing a year ago.

18. quicksand

quicksand

The guy chose a dangerous sport, this is part of it. Should they not show the crashes in NASCAR? Should the NFL edit out all the plays where a player gets hurt or crippled for life? He knew the risks and died doing what he loves, why cover it up?

19. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

IMHO, a body moving at 90 mph hitting padded plywood would still suffer the same catastrophic injuries.

All life ends in death, even though this was indeed tragic. I'm with the poster who hoped the family was notified first.

The guy died chasing his dream ... my prayers go out to his family.

20. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I agree Bruno.......a body moving at that rate of speed would still hit whatever it was at 90mph, and looking at the video it looks like his neck snapped.....he probably died of a broken neck. It's all about the your back and or neck snapping, doesn't likely matter if it is padded or not on the columns.

To me it sounds like they NEED to revamp that turn, period......they just got done reporting during the opening ceremonies show here that a couple other people were injured on that turn in the track.

Edited to add: The Georgia (the country, not the state) delegation of althetes where this young man was from are coming out right quick here. I have a feeling they will have a standing ovation for them. I sure feel for that young man's family and team tonight. :cry:

Edited to add: standing ovation.....his team mates are very forlorn looking. damn. just damn.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010