Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen these in several exercise videos on youtube and was curious about just how effective they are. I'm figuring for the $10 or so they cost, I might as well give one a try but would like to know just how well they work. Thanks!

PS: I'm not going to be leaving on my trip til' around 5 and I MAY be able to find Wi-fi up there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
They are awesome. NOTHING makes my abs as sore as these. Ross has videos showing that he's worked up to one-arm wheel rollouts which I can't even start to imagine.

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
Yeah, they are effective.

When actually using your abs to pull yourself back up (not your shoulders or hips) they are hard to do.

Then the next couple of days your abs will be screaming sore.

I have a previous shoulder injury though, and they seem to put a lot of stress on it, just holding my own weight in that position.

·
Draw the line
146 Posts
BCR is right. They are a b***h on the shoulders. In my experience, unless a person has a very strong core they are going to have a hard time effectively using an ab wheel. I work out 5-6days a week and i do a lot of ab work i still can't do very many good reps on one of those things. My back and shoulders take too much of the work. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may try one out. I've got a pretty strong core and was just looking for something to increase my definition and overall strength, so the ab wheel seems like the perfect thing. I'll try to post results next week when I get back from my trip.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Don't worry too much about what takes load. Rollouts are a great exercise in part because they work lots of muscle groups. Abs must provide core stabilization near the bottom regardless of how exactly you do them. The gotcha is to not let your torso sag. It needs to stay rigid for safety.

BTW, my core is mediocre, can barely hold a L-seat for 5-10 sec., and I do 3-4 sets of 10-15 kneeling rollouts. I'm nowhere near a standing rollout. A great tutorial is here: http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
BCR is right. They are a b***h on the shoulders. In my experience, unless a person has a very strong core they are going to have a hard time effectively using an ab wheel. I work out 5-6days a week and i do a lot of ab work i still can't do very many good reps on one of those things. My back and shoulders take too much of the work. Good luck to you.
Cool.

I was worried I was being a wuss. :embarassed:

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
Don't worry too much about what takes load. Rollouts are a great exercise in part because they work lots of muscle groups. Abs must provide core stabilization near the bottom regardless of how exactly you do them. The gotcha is to not let your torso sag. It needs to stay rigid for safety.

BTW, my core is mediocre, can barely hold a L-seat for 5-10 sec., and I do 3-4 sets of 10-15 kneeling rollouts. I'm nowhere near a standing rollout. A great tutorial is here: http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

I was doing 3 sets of 15-20 kneeling before I gave them up.

I do miss them, the soreness was astounding. But for now my shoulder can't really take it. Perhaps later on down the road again.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think the biggest problem with wheel rollouts is that kneeling gets too easy before standing is within reach. I think adding a weighted vest or using the sloping surface is probably the best way to help this. I don't like the Ross progression of just going out 1" farther every time. I've tried that and don't seem to get anywhere.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Anyone try the ab roll-out motion using a set of rings. I've been do those lately instead of using the wheel, just for a change of pace. They seem easier to do, since I am still kneeling using the wheel but I am able to stand while using the rings.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm back from my trip but wasn't able to find one at the local Walmart, so I may resort to getting one online or trying to find an Olypmia or something near me.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Anyone try the ab roll-out motion using a set of rings. I've been do those lately instead of using the wheel, just for a change of pace. They seem easier to do, since I am still kneeling using the wheel but I am able to stand while using the rings.
Great idea. I'll give that a try today.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Using the rings is a neat idea. Seems like the resistance depends on the angle of hte straps. If the strap is pulling back toward the feet, it should be easier. That seems like a cool way to vary the resistance--move the feet back far enough and the strap won't even be vertical at the bottom, so it'll add more resistance. Going one-handed would add some funky torso twisting to the movement also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts