close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A thought about Massachusetts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sbh87, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Sbh87

Sbh87 Handgunner

I was talking to a fellow comrade from the people's republic of Massachusetts over in the New England Colonial Club in the WhereUfrom section of GT and our gun rights here are just down right embarrassing. There are way too many to get into unless I was writing a book but just to give you a brief taste of what we deal with on a daily basis please continue on and hopefully by the end you can sympathize with us a little bit.

The chief of your town may give you a firearms license but it may not be a ccw. There are different classes of firearms licenses and depending on what one you have determines what type of firearms you can own. The AWB is alive and well here. We can only buy handguns that are on an approved list and even if they are on the list they may not have certain safety features that are required. Worst example of one of those features is DAO handguns must have a trigger of 10lbs. minimum unless equipped with an external safety.

A LTC (license to carry) is required just to own, posses, transport, buy, transfer etc. You even need an LTC just for ammunition or components of ammunition. And your LTC can always be taken away at the whim of your licensing authority. Here we have a suitability clause. Even if you do something stupid unrelated to firearms you LTC can still be taken away or never issued in the first place.

Our storage laws are among the strictest in the country. Keeping a "nightstand gun" would be illegal and if used in defense would get your charged with murder. There has already been a state supreme court case on this and various other storage laws and they are staying as strict as they are now. There is also no castle doctrine and we are expected to retreat as far back as possible before defending ourselves because we wouldn't want the criminal getting hurt now would we? Of course not this is Massachusetts!

It's amazing how a state that was so instrumental in the formation of this country and its freedoms could become so disgustingly liberal. There is a town here called Amherst and they passed an ordinance that municipal buildings and organizations (such as Amherst PD or FD) can't display the American flag because its seen as a barbarrack and not welcoming to those not from this country :steamed::steamed::steamed:!!! In my opinion this state especially given it history should make Texas look like North Korea. Seriously this state should be so freakin free and patriotic it would blow the minds of the rest of the country. This state is in no way "The Spirit of America." Its the spirit and home to the left wing goons who's thinking ruins America. We are home to some of the most liberal colleges and universities, most liberal members of congress and we are the home to Rachel ****ing Maddaow :steamed:.

We do however have enough pro-gun members in our state congress and the Gun Owners Action League (MA's NRA affiliate club aka GOAL) to hopefully keep things from getting worse. And at this point that is sometimes all one can hope for. So that is my rant. If anyone has any specific questions regarding our laws I'll be happy to expand as I tried my best to keep this as abbreviated as possible. So please fire questions my way ill be happy to elaborate on specific laws. And thanks for reading and allowing me to vent!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

You do not have the right to own firearms in Massachusetts...
    You are allowed a privilege to own firearms in Massachusetts.

Your clue: you must be issued a license to possess a firearm in the state of Massachusetts.

If you have the right to own a gun, the state cannot require you to have a license to do so legally.
    A privilege is the legal opposite of a personal right.

QED

Again, QED

And there you are...
    If it is a right, it is not conditional upon the whim of the issuing authority.

I agree.
    Massachusetts is the only state where the observance of Patriot's Day is really alive and well. Massachusetts is the state where Americans first faced a demand from the governing power to surrender their firearms and responded with "we'll give you the lead, one round at a time".

I lived and worked in Massachusetts for 13 months a few years ago.
    I met and worked with some of the finest people I've ever known.
    One remains a close friend. He is ex-Navy and a firearms owner himself.

Still, in my opinion the state of the 2nd Amendment today is a sad indictment of the people of the once-great state of Massachusetts, who should surrender their American flags and hang their heads in shame.

3. vafish

vafish

My company is headquartered in Massachusetts. I've turned down several promotion/transfers because of their gun laws.

Part of the problem with states that have strict gun laws is that gun owners tend to avoid the state, you lose the pro gun voters and things get worse, then more pro gun voters leave or avoid going to the state and it just becomes a downward spiral.

4. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Lived in Taxachusetts for two years. I'll never go back.

Mrs.Cicero

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Rephrase. Say, "and I never looked back" :animlol:

6. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Massachew****s is the turd in the punchbowl of life.

7. dreis454

dreis454

I'm glad I live 100 yards to the south of the CT/Mass line but even CTs laws are kinda bad too.

8. jr05

jr05

I moved to southern NH for work even though my company was/is located in Massachusetts. I could not bring myself to move to MA, and a large part of that was because of their gun laws. NH is very reasonable and a lot of my co-workers who shoot live in MA, and complain on pretty much a daily basis how bad it is.

MA is a joke when it comes to gun rights. You can't even carry pepper spray / mace without a conceal carry permit...

9. John43

John43

I grew up in Illinois and moved to Texas thirty years ago. never looked back. God Bless Texas.

10. HexHead

HexHead

That can be summed up in one word..... Kennedy.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

They allow guns in the prison??? Oh wait that is 800 yards south of the State line.

Sorry, but Enfield is not my favorite place. I guess it better than East Longmeadow.

Maybe it is better to live than visit?

Cool thing is a 20 minute drive and you are at Cabellas.

But you can't carry your guns 100 yards north. That is still a sad state.

And why didn''t the tornado take out the the area just north/west of Springfield? It would have been a blessing.

-Dana

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Because of their gun laws, I wouldn't live in MA.

:)

13. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Left NY for Texas 24 years ago.... never looked back.....:supergrin:

14. Bruce H

Bruce H

Kind of amazing that one of the states instermental in the founding of the United States will probably be the leader in its downfall. When they can't afford all the social engineering and go broke watch the explosion.

15. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

And if the NY guy says that.....it's GOT to be bad.

:wavey:

16. Jim B in CO

Jim B in CO

And the weather sucks, too. :whistling:

17. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

And their former Governor wants to be President.

:upeyes:

18. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

I giggled my *** off as I drove over the border and into New York, leaving Massachusetts for the last time back in 1987.

My take only, but I can sum up the whole damned culture there: Everything's illegal in Mass.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

:upeyes:

We hang together or we hang separately. We have some extra freedom here vs. a lot of you so-called free-staters

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Mass. have a very admirable record of supporting the Fourteenth Amendment. HH