close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A target between the screens on my chrono

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Mar 13, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

I would like to build a target onto my chronograph for something to aim at. I have been thinking about the best way to do this.

One idea that I have it to install a thin metal piece (1/2" x 12") onto the top of the tripod mounted right below the chrono. From this metal piece I would rig up a target up to it. This would put the target right in between the screens.

Would this cause any problems with readings? Or any other problems that I'm not thinking of.

Ideally I'd like a target in front of the chrono but it is more difficult to stably mount a target to. So I thought about trying this instead.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. dudel

dudel

Why? Just put the target behind the chono. Or even easier, aim at some point distant beyond the screens.

Ever wonder why no one else felt the need for targets between the screen? You plan to call a cease fire on the line every time you need to change the target? That won't make you too popular.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

3. Jumper

Jumper

I can see why you might want to do this. It could be a little easier to simply set up one thing instead of two and, you wouldn't have to carefully align three things: gun, chrono and target. With that said, my 2 cents is that if it does work, it wouldn't work well all the time. Your chrono sensors need even light to work correctly. By placing a target between them you will likely cast a shadow over one or, reflect more light to the other. The only time this wouldn't be true I think is if the sun is directly overhead. Might be worth a try though.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Just aim at something behind it. Don't put anything to block your sight of the voids between the screens.

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

I shoot in open. Either the mountains or desert. I never go to ranges, so I hardly ever even shoot at paper targets, just mostly steel targets, bowling pins, and whatever else I can find. So having a paper target attached to the tripod with my chrono would be very convenient. I could just set it up and shoot.

What I'm proposing won't interfere with the readings will it?

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I definately think a target nneds to be as close behind the chrono as possible. At the indoor range I just arrange things so the target hanger is behind the chrono and make a bullseye with a sharpie. Outdoors, I tape a paper plate to the rear of the unit. In between might not work because the paper etc from the target might interfere with the rear screen.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Fixing a target to your chrono is just asking to shoot it IMO. I routinely shoot paper targets through my chrono, but that puts the chrono 15ft from me @ the targets out as far as I want to shoot 15-300yds. I know I would shoot the screens at some point if the chrono was out @ 25yds or beyond. Besides, you want near muzzle vel readings, not 15yd or 25yd readings IMO.

9. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

I would think that any target that you set up between the sensors would set you up for a lot of reading errors. Especially paper targets, that when hit will throw off debris that could easily be picked up by the sensors. Whether the sensor picks up the paper or bullet first would determine whether there was an errant reading.

10. mteagle1

mteagle1

I bought cheap target feet and cut an 8" piece of lath in half and staple a piece of cardboard & target to them and shoot.

11. njl

njl Crusty Member

I generally setup a regular target downrange, setup the chrono between me and the target, and shoot the target through the chrono. If working alone, it can mean some walking back and forth between the shooting position and chrono to get the chrono properly positioned...but it's worked well enough so far.

12. GLShooter

GLShooter

A target on the chrono is worthless with a scope. At the regular 10 feet you shoot them at nothing will focus. I shoot targets at 100 yards (and longer) through my chronograph and have no problems.

The shadow effect on the screens will possibly pop up if you use the newer short coupled, as in 2 feet, spacing. the OLD Oehlers use 6 feet between and it would not be an issue.

I use a Millennium CED at this time and it has done swell for the past 10 years or so. Prior to that I used an Oehler Model 12.

Greg