close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A single-action revo for the woods?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by J. Parker, Mar 26, 2010.

1. J. Parker

J. Parker

Who carries a single-action revolver in the woods? I've been thinking of getting a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC for walking around in the pacific northwest back country.

~Thanks, John

2. txpitdog

txpitdog

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag. Not much out there that a 265gr hardcast at 1400fps can stand up to.

3. pennlineman

pennlineman

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel. It came with two cylinders. One chambered for .45 Colt, the other .45 ACP. It is one of my favorites, I often take it when hiking in the woods.

This was the first hangun I used to take a deer. A great choice in mho.

4. burntmypiston

burntmypiston

If you want a Vaquero specifically, go with the old model version. Beefier and easily stands up to serious ammo. I like the way you're thinking. I personally would go for a Bisley in 45 Colt. More power than a 44 Magnum if you're buying the right ammo, and it achieves this with less pressure so the gun will last longer. Is there a big difference? Nope. Either will do, but I just have a soft spot in my heart for the 45 Colt.:wavey:

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

SuperBlackhawk in .44 Magnum. Get a good load and sight that mutha in, instead of doing the guessing game with the fixed sight Vaquero.

6. joecoastie

joecoastie

I have a New Vaquero and love it. However I have to agree with Fnfalman, to me the Vaquero is more of a fun gun, for more serious use I would go with something with adjustable sights.

7. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

I usually pack my Ruger new model Blackhawk 357 for hiking. I do think I'll start taking my Colt SAA from now on though, it's quite a bit lighter in 45 due to the thinner barrel. The Ruger would be my first pick for the price though.....and a Vaquero new or old would fit the bill.
    [​IMG]

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

+1 on the Blackhawk. Adjustable sights are a great feature especially if you want to run some burners through a .45LC. The Vaquero is probably sighted in from the factory with cowboy poof loads. Real hunting loads might be way off.

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

In the woods I usually carry a Ruger Single Six (32hr magnum). Ok I can here you all laughing....

10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I will agree with those suggesting a blackhawk. I have one in 45 colt that is capable of some incredible power.

[​IMG]

11. RedTape

RedTape

Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible 4 5/8" barrel. Load up a .45 Colt XTP nice and hot for deer size game or use a heavy Keith-style bullet if you're going into bear country. Out of a Blackhawk you can load the .45 Colt up to, IMO, just as good as the .44. And, you've got the ACP cylinder for some light plinking.

I love the look of the Vaqueros, but my Blackhawk needed a lot of adjustment to get hunting loads hitting right. Adjustable sights are a must for me on a hunting pistol. Accuracy is fantastic.

12. bambikilr

bambikilr

blackhawk....ya need the rear sight....imo...enjoy either 1

13. awpk03s

awpk03s

I have a stainless Bisley 5.5" bbl in 45LC with the 45ACP cylinder. Absolutely love it!

14. deadite

deadite Groovy.

+1 on the Blackhawk or a short barreled Smith and Wesson 29 or 629 in 44 Mag.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Vaquero for different purposes, but you need a rear adjustable sight for the woods.

[​IMG]

The 45 Colt loading can be great, too if you go with a stout load like Buffalo Bore loads. Make sure that if you use Buffalo Bore ammo in a Vaquero or a BlackHawk to only use the older, larger framed versions of the guns. The new Vaqueros aren't rated for that much power.

deadite

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  15. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I do!

Mine's the old model Vaquero in 45colt. It's been my woods gun for more than a decade, now.

I reload some 300g cast lead bullets for it......bone crushers, guaranteed to get the attention of anything that walks and stalks in these woods!

It has oversized grips on a Bisley frame......amazing how well that feels and handles!

hog

[​IMG]

16. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

[​IMG]

Nice cow puncher hand cannon ya got there pilgrim!

17. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I was thinking the same.......but, appears as if there's one gun short in that picture!

What's the other?

hog

18. ftlupton

ftlupton

Not trying to be a smartbutt here, but how many have had to use a .44 or .45 in defense in the woods? I have hiked, hunted, fished and backpacked Colorado for well over 40 years. I carry a Ruger MK ll or Single Six and a can of bear spray, which I have never used. Have shot a lot of small game, grouse etc with the .22's. Mountain lions do concern me, they are getting more aggressive, bears not so much. Carried a .357 some but at 10,000 feet every ounce counts and the biggest danger is falling off a cliff. Lose several every year here due to falling a thousand feet down a mountain. Love these pics.

19. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Lupton, I think it's more the 'fear factor' than anything else. In my 60+ years of wandering the woods, deserts and mountains I have never NEEDED anything larger than a .22 but have always felt much better being equipped with a .357 or 45 (ACP and LC).

These days North Texas is a lot tamer, critter wise, so the most I really need to be concerned about is a momma piggy now and then, or feral dogs. However, I have had more potential problems with two-legged varmints. So I put away the .22 long ago and moved up in caliber, just for my own peace of mind.

No need to rag on anyone about needs vs wants, it's just being prudent.

Cheers,
    Ronaldo, who carries Vaquero 45LC 4 5/8" in the woods these days

20. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

Not much around here to worry about in the woods other than maybe a copperhead and I don't worry too much about them, so these will do.

[​IMG]