Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're spending trillions of dollars anyway, why not throw a few tens of billions (or more) at building up pharma capacity here in the U.S.? We're going to need to crank out hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines as fast as we can eventually (assuming a vaccine works) and there are plenty of other meds we need too, especially since we need to move production back from enemy territory.

Too simple and logical, I must be wrong. Yes I know lead time on some of the equipment is long, so let's get started.

·
Registered
80,989 Posts
So we're spending trillions of dollars anyway, why not throw a few tens of billions (or more) at building up pharma capacity here in the U.S.? We're going to need to crank out hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines as fast as we can eventually (assuming a vaccine works) and there are plenty of other meds we need too, especially since we need to move production back from enemy territory.

Too simple and logical, I must be wrong. Yes I know lead time on some of the equipment is long, so let's get started.
Manufacturing in the US? It will never work.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,013 Posts
I vote for it. And if my insurance company doesn't like it then there is always GoodRX.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
I think we are about certain to see some critical industries move back here. If nothing else the supplies for the VA and military hospitals.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
IIRC there was a time there was a requirement on government contracts that the products be made in the USA. Maybe it was only DOD contracts. Could be time to bring it back. Maybe that is against international trade rules now......

·
Registered
43,594 Posts
That would be taxpayer dollars going to private companies. The outrage would be large.
You'd have to ban the import of the Chinese version as the US version is not going to be cost competitive.

I can see us ramping up the capabilities for certain things but it will be hard to sustain that without lots of subsidies.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
This is being looked into. We can’t be having near 100% of highly critical items being made in China, or some other potentially uncooperative country.

Keeping underwear & cheap bicycle manufacturing there is fine.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Sad ... but you need to remember that a huge number of Washington politicians ... on both sides ... collect graft & bribes from the Chinese. The Bidens are a perfect example but certainly not alone.
It is a big problem but at least for a while people will be looking for it. It might even cost Biden bigtime in the swing states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts