A Safety Reminder

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by willie_pete, Apr 1, 2020.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep. This is one of those things that ought (needs) to catch your attention when the"difference" occurs during a shot string. Whether it's called a squib or a "short load". Sometimes with a short load the bullet might remain in the barrel, obstructing the bore, and sometimes it might leave the barrel (key-holing isn't uncommon with a short load).

One time that sticks out in my mind when I experienced it was when I was working a night qual range. During a quiet moment I was shooting my G27 for one of the drills, using the 180gr JHP duty ammo. One of the shots had a muted quality to it, with a weak felt recoil and cycling, and I saw the empty case barely rise up out of the ejection port and dribble forward along the top of the slide, obstructing my view of the front sight and threat target before it fell off over the front of the slide.

I realized my finger had already come away from attempting the next planned trigger press because something wasn't "right". I checked the bore and found the bullet had cleared the barrel.

Caver 60 and willie_pete like this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

3. Caver 60

Caver 60

^^^ I hope that guy standing behind her wasn't an instructor. If it was, he should have stopped things PDQ.

willie_pete likes this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Yeah, I would have liked to hear the sound. It looked like not much recoil and I didn't see a brass ejected, but it must have recoiled and chambered the next round; She didn't rack the slide.

The only hint was it looked like she turns and asks why she didn't hit the target?

IDK

:headscratch:

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

I couldn't get the audio to work. I was guessing the shooter may have stopped to point out that she hadn't seen a hole appear in her target, and it made her wonder about it.

If the man hadn't seen any hole appear, and no signs of any impact below/above or around the backstop at the range, that would've been an excellent potential teaching moment to have the shooter recognize the potential safety risk of a squib/obstructed bore event, and have her render the pistol safe to check for such a problem. Teaching and emphasizing shooter safety is never a waste of time for an instructor.

Now, if the man behind the female shooter was her husband? Well, that no doubt became a "teachable moment" of another sort ... for him.

When it comes to LE instructors, this is the sort of problem that can (quite reasonably) attract the interest (and ire?) of the Risk Management people monitoring how training (qualifying, etc) is being conducted.

Training injuries that are even the least bit preventable are abso-freaking-lutely counter-productive to good training practices, and aren't exactly conducive to making people enjoy the training experience.

Like other instructors, I've certainly had my fair share of instances where I had to act quickly to stop a shooter from making that "next" shot because I realized something was amiss before the shooter appeared to recognize it. :eek:

Time to bring back whistles being issued to each newly minted firearms instructor, regardless of whether shooters are going to be wearing enhanced ear protection? ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    willie_pete and Caver 60 like this.
  6. Caver 60

Caver 60

That was remark was funny, but tragic.

Just shows some people don't know much about firearms. Of course I don't know much either.

I've only been shooting for a little over 70 years. Started when my father kneeled down behind me, and held the 22 rifle while I pulled the trigger. I could not hold it up, at that age.

I did the same with our children and grandchildren. Our grown children live in major cities now, and there is not much place to shoot, except when they come to the farm. I doubt a controlled range would let a child that young shoot anyway.

fastbolt likes this.
  7. fastbolt

fastbolt

My father started me shooting small pistols at 5yrs, as I recall, after he'd let me watch from the safety of our parked car when he used to go shoot at local dumps and shooting "areas" in the nearby hills. He got me a single shot .22LR rifle a little later, but told me I couldn't shoot it until I could hold it up on my own, and pull back the cocking bolt. Told me I had to grow stronger. (He later told me that he'd looked long and hard to find the hardest cocking, bolt action single shot rifle that required manually pulling back a cocking bolt in addition to using a bolt action to load the chamber. :) )

My daughter never had the interest to shoot, but she did enjoy going to work with me on the days I was working our Range when the annual "Take Your Daughter To Work" fell on a Range day for me. Always asked me some very pointed questions about why some cops didn't have more interest in learning how to shoot, and later offered her own (rather insightful) comments about what she'd seen among different shooters. ;) Out of the mouths of kids ... :)

My son was interested in the "Western" guns I owned, and I was glad that my father didn't pass until after he'd had a chance to see his young grandson use a good 2-handed grip to my Ruger SBH using Magnum loads. He also earned some shooting medals for a 4H .22LR program called Pellet Poppers, using their Target .22 rifles. Not so interested in shooting nowadays, being too busy with his own family, but he said he still wants to inherit my "Western" revolvers and rifles. :)

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. Current Resident

Current Resident

I know it is tough when I take someone to the range. I do my best to not over explain things, get short and to the point about range rules and safety.

I took a few people and let them shoot my Mini 14. I stand behind them and observe. One time I caught my nephew aim so high he would shoot through the plank height barriers and over the berm. Those are times to calmly have a quick lesson.

I dont take safety lightly and will never turn a blind eye to it, I will speak up. There was a time a couple years back the RSO and other people witnessed something real bad. The RSO didnt want to offend a fella so at target change I collected up my gear and left. I asked the RSO about it and he shrugged it off.

Caver 60 likes this.