close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A sad reminder

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by napp32, Jan 12, 2010.

1. napp32

napp32

I see where a lot of folks got a new Glock during the Christmas system. It shouldn't be necessary to remind everyone to keep safety foremost when handling any firearm; but here is a news article about a young man who apparently forgot to do so.

Andrew was showing his family the Glock 40 caliber handgun he had just bought.

His aunt held the gun without the ammunition. Andrew placed the ammunition magazine into the gun so that his aunt could feel the difference in its weight, according to an offense report from the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office.
    After the demonstration, Andrew had trouble removing the magazine.
    He turned the muzzle of the gun while trying to remove it, and then the gun went off.
    "(The bullet) just went right through his heart," Dede said. “I don't know if I will ever get that out of my mind.”

Full story at the link:

http://www.crestviewbulletin.com/news/iraq-8296-accidental-isn.html

2. mymini40

mymini40

3. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

The real sad part is that everyone in his family will now likely be heavily anti gun because of his actions. I wonder why he racked one into the chamber anyway?

4. Omerta757

Omerta757

Extremely unfortunate, I feel for his family, esp if it was a gift from one of them. Safety doesn't take holidays off.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I heard about that one,.....very tragic!

6. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

very sad, the only time i have ammo near my gun is at the range. Other than that it is LOCKED in a box. This is my first handgun but my shotgun and its ammo is treated the same way. Im so paranoid that i check the gun every single time i pick it up. You never know when someone whos ignorant or stupid puts a round in.

7. Reignman

Reignman

Somebody points a loaded gun at their chest and it's a tragedy? Sounds like a moron to me. Sorry, forgive my lack of sympathy while I go play in traffic...
    This guy was in the Army? Who in their right mind didn't PT this kid until he died?... In all of my life, I cannot recall ever pointing one loaded at myself center mass... that just blows my mind....

Was he a nice guy? Who knows.
    Will his family miss him? Sure...
    Should he have done 3/4 of the things he did? Nope.

Sorry, Im not a cold hearted individual, I just call a spade a spade.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Another reason why I think there should be some mandatory training before owning a firearm. If you have to take a course to drive a car or cut hair, a firearm should be the same.

Too many untrained people out there.

9. Dexters

Dexters

You really have to put effort into pointing the barrel of a Glock at your heart.

10. Reignman

Reignman

very true... love your sig, how many times have you passed them standing there talking to each other?... Hope they're working on making **** better for us...:rofl:

11. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

This is why it firearm safety should be taught in school. Often people, especially when new to guns, don't find firearm safety to be intuitive.

My friend teaches basic pistol classes and is constantly surprised by the number of people who do not realize that simply taking the magazine out of a semi-automatic doesn't entirely unload the gun. It's unintuitive to them that you also have to rack the slide and remove the chambered round.

At least three of the four rules of firearm safety were violated in this case and as usual it ended badly.

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Not paranoid, smart.:wavey:

13. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

.... Guns Don't Kill People..... People Kill People.!!

Real true is this truth. Hope his soul rests in peace.

14. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

... That's right.:upeyes:

15. voyager4520

voyager4520

This is what happens when people shield their children from a subject, like guns, until they're legally old enough to get involved in it on their own. They jump in head first without knowing any of the proper safety precautions involved with it. I'm 22 and I've seen plenty of people around my age getting into gun ownership with no previous knowledge or experience with firearms. Their lack of firearm safety knowledge is frightening to say the least. I'd been to the range with family members as early as 8 years old, so firearm safety was nothing new to me when buying my first firearm.

"He had trouble removing the magazine from the gun". I'd guess from that he didn't know that the magazine release protrudes through the other side of the handle when you push on it and his hand was blocking it from the other side, so he turned it in an awkward manner to figure it out.

16. Kwanger

Kwanger

Very sad story.

I'm a plus one on thrillhouses way of doing things - I'm obsessed with checking and clearing, it was the way I was taught in the military....I'd have thought this guy would have been the same. Even stuff that I know is clear as I just cleared it minutes ago, if its been out of my sight I treat it like a ghost has come along and slipped a round into the chamber.

unfortunate and sad lack of experience and handling here, or relaxing in home environment or something :(

Edit: Having read the full story, it is even sadder that the guy was a front line infantryman, just back from Iraq. Too often do soldiers returning from dangerous tours just 'switch off' when they get back, and wind up killing themselves, on motorbikes or other accidents. It is actually quite a well known phenomonen.

17. napp32

napp32

I would assume that a member of the 82nd Airborne Corps just returning from a year in Iraq might have had firearms training somewhere along the way. :drillsgt:
    Many states will waive the requirement for CCW training classes upon proof of prior military service.

I suspect the problem wasn't lack of training. Most likely, it was a momentary neglect of what he was taught in previous training.

18. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

19. SagKC

SagKC

:upeyes: Agree...

20. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Sad loss for a soldier.