Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the holidays, the 29SF I have ordered hasn't came in yet. So to keep from going nuts, I've been reading about them. But this review doesn't seem to be too friendly on it. He says it's too short for hunting, and the velocity loss vs the 20 doesn't make the extra recoil worth it. I'm glad reviews like this don't influence my purchases.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/a-smaller-bigger-hammer-glock-29-sf-review/

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I say it would have influence your purchases IF you would have read the review before you ordered.

Own a Gen 2, most unused gun in my safe. Too beefy and too heavy for concealed carry. For HD I have the G40.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used every flavor of Glock for concealed carry, and now it's going to be a 10. I loved my G39 and the bulk of the slide never bothered me. I've wanted a 10 for awhile. It's even better now that I know it's two guns in one, being able to shoot 40's in the stock barrel. Plus it's my gateway to the 9x25. I may end up carrying the 9x25 for SD. A 125gr (6 petal) Gold Dot at 1500.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Commercial 10mm target loads are pretty weak, but if you want to start feeding it the Underwood or Buffalo Bore stuff the gun starts to really show how unruly it can be shooting those kinds of loads through that short of a barrel.

It's not a bad gun to carry around in bear country since it holds more than a big bad revolver and is smaller than lighter--but I wouldn't use one for CCW.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
According to many people on this board, the G30 is a greatest conceal carry gun ever, but yet, the direction this thread is heading makes the 29 out to be an albatross for a ccw. What's the difference (besides the caliber)?:headscratch:
I think the G19 is better as a CCW than the G30 and I've carried both for years. I can shoot the 9 faster and better than the 45, the G30 needs grip extensions to hold properly with my hands, and the G19 holds 5 more. The G29 takes the chunkiness of the G30 and adds the added variable of 10mm. I'm falling out of love with the 45, it's too damn big and carry guns that shoot it tend to be a compromise.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
9,728 Posts
According to many people on this board, the G30 is a greatest conceal carry gun ever, but yet, the direction this thread is heading makes the 29 out to be an albatross for a ccw. What's the difference (besides the caliber)?:headscratch:
Those who do not reload appreciate more cost and do not realize what can be accomplished for the 29.

Those who have experimented have realized the potential flexibility with the 30 and what calibers it can be converted to.

The 29 and 30 exhibit more metal in receiver and barrel which in turn in comparison tends to be heavy and take up more room than conventional models of Glocks these last 5 years.

Many states have restrictions on semi autos and or barrel length which negates it a legal weapon to hunt with.

I have owned most models of Glocks except the 42/43/36 and the Gaps. I personally have decided that long term use and durability has me favoring the 9mm in 26/17 platforms. When I feel I need more I have a Ruger Alaskan that suffices.

I reload the 9mm and 44 mag.and still put around 10k rounds a year down range. Competition takes more of a back seat nowadays but I still like to shoot Steel Challenge.

Choose your poison based upon a one gun need, then duplicate it. If necessary complicate your decision as choice should be what you carry, compete, hunt and practice with.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,315 Posts
* * * But this review doesn't seem to be too friendly on it. He says it's too short for hunting, and the velocity loss vs the 20 doesn't make the extra recoil worth it. I'm glad reviews like this don't influence my purchases.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/a-smaller-bigger-hammer-glock-29-sf-review/
From someone who owns all three, I'd suggest you ignore the ST num-nutz.

I've been around the 10mm since its inception, and as Retreiverman said in post #5, if the G30 is supposedly the best concealed-carry gun since sliced bread was invented, how is the (roughly) same-size G29, with 10+1 capacity, suddenly horrific in that role? :upeyes: :whistling:

My G20 pulls nightstand duty with an Inforce APL; my G40 replaced the G20 as a dedicated wood/boonies/camping gun; and my G29 does concealed EDC duty.

But if all you want a 10mm Glock for is handgun-hunting, just get a G40 and start working up loads. You can thank me later.

What's not to like if you want a Glock chambered for the high-performance 10mm AUTO? :smoking:

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Due to the holidays, the 29SF I have ordered hasn't came in yet. So to keep from going nuts, I've been reading about them. But this review doesn't seem to be too friendly on it. He says it's too short for hunting, and the velocity loss vs the 20 doesn't make the extra recoil worth it. I'm glad reviews like this don't influence my purchases.

Pretty weak review IMO.

The only "technical" point I would take issue with, are his results between his 5" 1911 and the G29SF velocity wise. I have loaded and tested just about every powder and charge weight combination known to man in 180gr jacketed. The largest drop I ever saw between a 5" 1911 and my G29sf was 125 fps (he saw 148 fps in his first and only cut). My average drop was 115 fps and some came in as low as 60 fps (loads not pushing well above 1300fps in the 1911). It might seem like nit picking but in the upper reaches, the 30 fps difference between what I have seen time and again with loads a lot hotter than what he saw from his Double Tap tests, first time through, makes me kind of skeptical of his bias going in.

The G29SF (or Gen 4 G29) are not meant to be hunting guns, they generally aren't meant as EDC guns unless you live in really bad areas, but like really bad areas, the trail can be a really bad area if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. The compact G29 delivers awesome power in a very diminutive package. I have found its larger frame (compared to other sub compact Glocks), absorbs the added recoil of very hot 10mm loads just fine. The G29 is one of my all time favorite Glocks. If I could pick only one gun to have stashed in my car, that I was going to rely upon to get me home if things really unwound socially, G29 probably would be it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I started off carrying a G20 in 1991, I carried it for 10 years with a badge, and concealed carried the rest of the time. I carried it as my EDC for another 10 years until I discovered the G29sf. it has been my EDC since that day. I have put 1000's of rounds through it from buffalo bore to dropping in my.40 barrel. My next barrel will be .357 sig. I love the versatility of the gun and 10mm cartridge . I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!
When it is impossible to carry my G29, I will swap down to my G27, but that is very seldom !

·
Secret Squirrel
254 Posts
I can conceal my G29 almost as easily at my long time favorite carry which is the G27. With practice I know I could shoot it almost as well. I wanted something more powerful than the .40 for out in the woods. For hiking and camping its 200 gr hardcast from Underwood which is where I carry the G29 the most. Its small enough to conceal with the rest of my backpacking gear but powerful enough for most any critter I may encounter in my part of the country. I have the Gen4 and have purchased extended barrels and stiffer recoil springs but it hasn't needed it. My Gen4 G29 has handled everything I have put in it with nothing more than what Glock made it with. That includes hundreds of rounds of hot Underwood stuff. Don't worry about the reviews or others opinions. Make your own decision. Wait till you get it and shoot it with the right ammo. Shoot it a lot.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,315 Posts
. * * *
The G29SF (or Gen 4 G29) are not meant to be hunting guns, they generally aren't meant as EDC guns unless you live in really bad areas, but like really bad areas, the trail can be a really bad area if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Absolutely. The G29, like the G30, was never intended for handgun-hunting.

At the time Gaston Glock released both compacts (late '90s), Glock already offered a factory 6" "hunting" barrel for the G20 for use in states requiring handguns to have barrels over 5".

But the G29 and G30 were clearly intended for everyday concealed-carry, especially in jurisdictions that restricted pistol magazine capacities to 10-rds. Glock released them together during that "dark period" of the Clinton-era AWB/hi-cap mag bans.

Yeah, all double-stack Glocks, to one extent or another, will be bulky to tote, but when first released pre-Y2K, the 10mm G29 and .45acp G30 were much easier to conceal for fans of either cartridge than their full-size siblings, the G20 and G21. Hence, their popularity was almost instantaneous among those who were already wedded to the bigger brother.

And let's not kid ourselves: pick your favorite 10mm carry load, but the G29's primary purpose is NOT to shoot nice small groups into paper targets from 25yds away (although it is accurate); it's to put an aggressive a-hole intent on harming you or yours face-down on the urban concrete.

The compact G29 delivers awesome power in a very diminutive package. I have found its larger frame (compared to other sub compact Glocks), absorbs the added recoil of very hot 10mm loads just fine. The G29 is one of my all time favorite Glocks. If I could pick only one gun to have stashed in my car, that I was going to rely upon to get me home if things really unwound socially, G29 probably would be it.
Agree. Well said.

·
Banned
5,192 Posts
But this review doesn't seem to be too friendly on it. He says it's too short for hunting, and the velocity loss vs the 20 doesn't make the extra recoil worth it. I'm glad reviews like this don't influence my purchases.
It's not a hunting pistol, though you probably could if you really wanted to. There are better choices.

There is a velocity loss, but it's insignificant and an acceptable loss for concealability.

There's no additional recoil.

The 29SF is a great pistol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The G29 is my favorite Glock. Despite the width is carries well IWB, is lightweight, and very accurate. It does kick, but not too bad. It feels to me like a slightly wider version of a G19 in terms of dimensions.

However, for me, the Pearce finger extenders are a must for the ten rounders.

·
Glock-curious
27 Posts
I really don't get all the 10mm / recoil complaints - it's overblown. I'm 5'7" @ 166lbs and I regularly carry my G29SF and G30Gen4. The G29 is slightly less weight loaded compared to the G30 (G29 comes in at 34.16oz with 10rds of Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP, G30 comes in at 34.39oz with 10rds of Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P). Both are fairly bulky compared to my G19, but I'm used to carrying Sig Sauer pistols so I don't have any problem with that.

When I shoot the 10mm in full loads, it's for sure "not a 9mm experience" - but the recoil is a bit underwhelming. I regularly shoot 357 Sig and it feels just as snappy to me, 9mm feels like almost nothing happened. If you'd like to shoot my 3" bbl 460 S&W magnum - *that* is recoil on a level one can only call unpleasant. 10mm is totally fine for concealed carry, and I feel it offers penetration characteristics that are more appropriate for what I want to do with it. I don't hunt, so I generally don't care if it's not the best hunting platform in 10mm - although there is that YouTube video out there of a dude defending himself against a 350lb moose attack with a G29 and that thing went down fast. I suspect he's happy he wasn't toting around a 9mm that day, but for 2 legged beasts - I suspect it'll work just fine in the G29 form factor. Shoot / carry / own what you like!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Love 10mm and have a G29g4 and G40. I carry my 29 some and it is always my choice when I head to the mountains to camp and hike (east coast). I also have in my rotation a 19 and 30s. For edc i prefer the 19, mostly because I can double/triple tap with it accurately. I simply cannot do so with the 29g4 using real 10mm (hand loads and Underwood), but it's a *****cat with most store bought 10. I wouldn't shoot 10mm if I didn't reload, makes it practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts