close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A request for the moderators please

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by powernoodle, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Which brings up another good point. It's intellectually dishonest to suggest that the root of these problems are the atheist presence here and if only they were banished then everything would rainbows and unicorns. Some of the most heated debates here have been among theists on doctrinal points that different sects vigorously disagree on. If the predominantly theist posters here succeed in having atheists removed, what's next? Will the predominantly christian members then petition to have the muslims, jews, buddhists and hindi banned? After that, will the predominantly protestant succeed in having the catholics banned? Will the evangelicals then petition to have the "prosperity christians" banned?

Point being, you won't ever have entirely peaceful conversations on these topics because it goes much deeper than merely believers vs. non-believers. Where opposing worldviews (of any sort) meet there will always be friction. With that reality acknowledged, RI serves it's intended purpose quite well. That being to provide a place for that discourse to occur so that it doesn't overflow into other sub-forums.

2. rock_castle

rock_castle MAGA!!!

I don't know any HK or AK owners personally, thus I have no idea if any are pushing for governmental exclusivity. As far as "trying to shape society and fit their world view"" goes, I doubt many opinions are changed because of anything written on GTRI. Most hold onto strong beliefs one way or the other and won't change because you or I tell them to do so.

I am not for limiting discussion. One of the things I really like about GT is that we have more latitude than most online forums to discuss controversial topics. I like that. I don't have anyone on "ignore" either because I enjoy reading all opinions, even those that I vehemently disagree with. Words printed on the internet don't bother me, but evidently they do bother a few. We all need to be better than that.

3. Geko45

The point is you would likely care if they were. A more realistic analogy is perhaps the hunting crowd that want to see their scoped bolt action rifles and three round magazine pump shotguns left alone, but are ok with all those "assault rifles" with detachable "clips" being banned.

That's another oft-repeated falsehood about this forum. That being "nobody really changes their mind here anyway". Minds are changed here, I know because I am one of them (being a christian for the first 38 years of my life). I've heard from others through private messaging that have had changes of heart on these topics too. Those that flip-sides on one or more of these issues typically aren't the ones posting most frequently. They are the lurkers. While it may be valid to say the diehards on either side are fairly locked-in to their positions many of the people that read this forum are fence-sitters whose minds are not yet made-up. It is to them that my posts are tailored (though they may appear to be directed at the opposition).

4. rock_castle

rock_castle MAGA!!!

The US constitution already prohibits Congress from passing laws regarding religion, so what's the big deal? The First Amendment will never be repealed so there is nothing to worry about there. Why do you really care what anyone else thinks one way or the other?

5. Geko45

Aren't you forgetting that same sex marriage was only recently legalized and only narrowly so by a 5-4 decision of the Supreme Court? If everything is so hunky-dory and the majority religion in this country is having no impact on society then why were so many demonstrating for a religious definition of marriage to be passed by Congress (remember the Marriage Protection Act)? There was even talk (still is) of passing an amendment (thus overriding the 1st) to allow Congress to do this.

No, your attempt to paint this as no big deal is simply not holding water. The ultra-religious are being held back from implementing religious law in this country, but only by the narrowest of margins. The recent gains in liberty and religious freedom could still be easily rolled back. Now more than ever this threat is real given the incoming administration (no, I did not vote for Hillary either).

6. rock_castle

rock_castle MAGA!!!

Same sex marriage is not even mentioned in the Constitutuon. Freedom of religion is though. The 1A is safe and secure. I don't see why you fear POTUS Trump. He doesn't strike me as a religious guy, and he has really not shown that he is beholden to any special interest group. With all due respect, you sound a bit paranoid. Of course there are ultra-religious people in this country, but that label doesn't describe the vast majority of Americans. I think you and your views are safe. Freedom is now back in vogue.

7. fowl intent

fowl intent

Well, in the defense of the moderators, Hillary is real.

TimC likes this.
  8. Geko45

But same sex marriage is a religious freedom issue. Has it occurred to you that there are gay christians that believe that god wants them to enter into wedlock before sexual relations just like straight christians do? You might not agree that these are "true christians", but the point is that under the 1st Amendment you don't get to make that call for them. So, a "marriage protection" act or amendment is actually a direct threat to their 1st Amendment rights. The 1st protects their religious beliefs from you just as much as it protects yours from them.

Would you rather it not be in style?

9. rock_castle

rock_castle MAGA!!!

I don't look at marriage as a religious institution but many do. So the government affirmed your right to same sex marriage. How is that a threat to your beliefs? Seems to me that nobody with the power to do so is threatening to require that you become religious, so why the concern?

10. Austin

Austin Staff Member Admin Moderator

I didn't read this entire thread so if you had a question for me please accept my apologies.

There is an issue with RI and the mods and I are discussing how to best handle it. Moderation is tough, and it requires time.

Please bear with us while we figure this out.

11. Random

Random AtticRat

Ha, ha. That's the same way I occassionally stumble in.
    I'm not a fan of banning, censorship, or limiting access to areas. I'd think the easiest less restrictive move would be to just not have Religious Issues threads in the "Latest Replies" dropdown. I sure don't have the forum bookmarked. That move would've been subtle and discreet. Anyone that wanted to go there could just go there directly or follow the forum.

12. Geko45

Perhaps my sense of freedom is a bit broader than yours, but I don't intend to sit by and wait for someone to come after something that affects me directly. I once swore an oath to defend the Constitution and I guess it just stuck with me. If I see any group being treated unfairly by the majority then I will speak out against it.
    And that means what exactly? I'm supposed to wait until they are a more credible threat? Everybody gets a vote in this country, as long as there are those using their right to free speech to advocate for the limiting of my freedom or the freedom of others then I will use mine to speak out against them. It's a debate for the hearts and minds of the voters and I'm just not going to wait until they build more momentum. That's a recipe for disaster.

With that said, this is a privately owned forum and we all post here under Eric's rules. Ultimately, it's his way or the highway. I just hope he doesn't choose to capitulate to the attempted economic intimidation by some of the theists here as taking one step towards appeasement will only invite further demands from them.

13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Issue? What issue?

[​IMG]

Just kidding...;). Not quite that bad...

Randy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

14. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

That would be me, HH.

And, no, I did not say that...
    I asked the individuals participating in the forum to decide what their behavior would be.

I made a further appeal later in in the thread Rather than have a civil discussion, a subset...chooses to make fun, ridicule, etc.

Again, all I asked was that members post responsibly.

15. FireInCairo

FireInCairo

Here's how I see it: A lot of Christian Glockers have come into RI just to meet with like minds and discuss spiritual matters. I know that's what I came into the forum for.

However, there is a contingent of rabid atheists who want to turn every single thread into a debate about whether God is real or not. While that may be of interest to some, many Glocktalkers are completely disinterested and are forced to turn away from this forum.

I suggested a sub forum for Christian fellowship (primarily to serve a large subsection of Glocktalkers) and a subforum for religious debate for everyone else.

Maybe different thread flags within RI to differentiate between people who are looking to debate or to simply fellowship with spiritually like minded people would be easier.

I'm not a tech guy, so I'm not sure what would be easier.

rock_castle likes this.
  16. Geko45

Really? "Rabid atheists"??? That in itself is worthy of an infraction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jmohme and Dave514 like this.
  17. jmohme

jmohme

Is it an infraction if it is factual.
    1b seems a good fit in a lot of posts here.
    And before anyone says it, yes there are some rabid Christians posting here too.

Definition of rabid
    1. 1a : extremely violent : furious
      1b : going to extreme lengths in expressing or pursuing a feeling, interest, or opinion <rabideditorials> <a rabid supporter>

2. 2: affected with rabies

18. Dave514

Dave514

I think having an additional section that is Christians Only is a fabulous idea.

19. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

It seems like what you're seeking is basically a safe space where no one will question your beliefs but only reinforce them and tell you how wonderful they are. What is it about open and honest debate that frightens you to the point of needing someone else to impose restrictions to see that you aren't subject to contrary positions?

20. fowl intent

fowl intent

Dear Mods,

I am an avid gun owner and supporter of the 2nd amendment. But I happen to be a slightly left of the average GT member on the political scale. I am tired of being called names like "libtard" and "commie" just because I believe that humans influence global temperature and I support equal rights for all citizens. Can you please create a separate forum for us centrists so we can discuss important issues without being ridiculed and told we are wrong in our beliefs? My delicate sensibilities can only take so much.

Geez. Some people need to grow a pair.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.