close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A request for the moderators please

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by powernoodle, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

The opposite, actually, since the Christians were the ones trolling and attacking him.

Seems it's not just atheists they can't get along with. Any opposing viewpoint is intolerable.

Not all of them, mind you. There are some that seem to not have any trouble getting along with atheists or him.

Randy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

I don't know if he's the same poster Randy is thinking of, but there was a Muslim who posted here under the name Akil8290.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

This is demonstrably false. Your process is far more frequently to post a declaration, including that you have no interest in convincing that don't agree and then retire from the discussion.

4. 4Rules

4Rules

Like the OP, I resent wasting my time reading most of the the posts in 'Religious Issues'.
    The ONLY reason I'm here (in 'Religious Issues') is because whenever I click on 'New Posts' I get the whole hog; the update often includes new posts in the 'Religious Issues' sub-forum. Without your even realizing it, surprise!, you're back in 'Religious Issues' again.
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"
    Some forums allow the members to choose the particular sub-forums to which they subscribe; this saves each member from having to read any posts from any sub-forum in which the member holds no interest.
    Should Glocktalk not adopt similar user-choice options?

5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

The only time I've seen those words used was when it was suggested by theists that LGBT individuals should be forced back into the closet, women back into the kitchen, and minorities back to segregated schools and businesses.

steveksux likes this.
  6. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

I remember the guy was very thin skinned. He left because he could not stand any dissent to his point of view.

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Demanding religious exceptions to anti discrimination laws to allow them to discriminate resulting in accusations of bigotry because of a desire to discriminate?

UNPOSSIBLE!!! Clearly the atheists just hate God. Just because the KKK used the same rational to justify their bigotry is no reason to call this new bigotry bigoted.

Randy

8. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

Generalizing what the theists do and say is painting with a very broad brush. If you haven't seen those terms used by atheists then you haven't been reading their posts.

9. Geko45

Exactly, which is much the same case with the original poster of this thread. Except, instead of just bowing out of the debate, he is asking for this forum to be made a "safe space" for his worldview.

F14A likes this.
  10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Well, if consistently calling all Muslims terrorists, and him in particular a liar (takiyya) and Islam a gutter religion is acceptable behavior and he was merely thin skinned, then the Christians have not one damn thing to complain about here and now.

Sam, go ahead and close those 2 threads about how to fix the subforum, turns out the Christians are just thin skinned. Everything is fine as is.

Randy

11. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Try the Reading Issues forum.

This seems to be the root of a lot of the problems. Clearly that bears little resemblance to what he actually said.

It's like we're trapped in a bad Three''s Company episode.

Randy

12. Geko45

I have seen them used and I just gave you the context in which I've seen them. If someone suggests women should be barefoot and pregnant then that's sexist. If someone suggests that business owners should be able to discriminate against who patronizes their business then that's racist/bigoted. If someone suggests that LGBT individuals are mentally ill and should not be allowed to marry or even live their lives as they choose then that's bigoted.

Powernoodle was attempting to paint a false picture where theists are all just innocent bystanders being slandered by those meany atheists for no good reason. I've been fairly active in this forum and what I've seen is that language like this only gets used when someone suggests something truly horrendous that makes it appropriate and applicable.

13. rock_castle

rock_castle Stop the Leftist Hate!

If you aren't religious then why do you even go to RI? I don't own an HK handgun so I don't go to the HK subforum. I don't own an AK so I don't visit the Kalishnikov subforum. I really have no reason to go there. It does seem like a few posters only visit certain forums to stir things up and cause trouble. This is the opinion of one who rarely posts in RI.

14. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

Randy

The problem is not with being thin skinned. I have been posting here for 14 years. The problem is the posters who are purposely going off topic to derail the threads and purposely trying to incite chaos. Threads generally have a topic. It is not thin skinned to expect the topic to be adhered to at least loosely rather than attacking people's, edjucation mental stability motives etc.

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Sounds thin skinned. Textbook. Exactly what happened to that guy.

Try again.

Randy

16. Geko45

Are the members of the HK and AK forums actively petitioning the government to have Glocks and ARs and all other type of firearms banned leaving only their preferred choice left as the only legal option? If they were, do you think you might be visiting those forums more to express your dissent with those opinions?

I have seen theists here express truly horrendous and unconstitutional opinions about what should and should not be allowed in this country. And it's not just blowing steam, they mean it. I've heard people here advocate for the restoration of a business owner's "right" to discriminate against patrons based on their own religious beliefs (on race, religion, gender, gender identity, anything as long as it is based on their religion). I've heard people here say that the first amendment was only meant to protect christian denominations and that Americans don't have the right to practice other religions (or none at all like atheists). I've heard people here say they want to overturn the recent rulings allowing LGBT individuals access to marriage certificates like conventional couples have had for centuries (reversing equal protection under the law for these people). The list goes on.

So, the answer to your question is that we come here because people with these beliefs are actively trying to shape our society to fit their worldview without leaving any room for those that don't share that worldview. Not all of them are proposing this, of course, but there are enough to represent a credible threat to freedom and liberty. So, we use our rights to free speech to openly dissent with those opinions and the reaction we see from them (unsurprisingly) is to petition the staff here to simply forbid dissenting opinions from being expressed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    nmk, TimC, Dave514 and 1 other person like this.
  17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

They wish to do to the forum what they wish to do to the country basically is what it looks like to me.

No bueno.

Hard to know what to say when the Christians call Catholics heretics and mackerel snappers. Clearly some of them aren't willing to afford each other the safe space they want for themselves.

As long as their particular flavor of Christianity is made sacrosanct, the rest can pound sand.

It's the War on Christmas writ large.

It's OK to say Merry Christmas, but people get butthurt when other people's holidays get rolled in with Happy Holidays. It's not excluding Christmas.

A monopoly is the only thing that is satisfactory. Equal playing field is not good enough.

Randy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  18. FireInCairo

FireInCairo

19. Geko45

Replying here as we're not permitted in thread you posted this, but LW's sig line is actually a reference to a popular bumper sticker during the 2016 presidential election. It has nothing to do with religion nor is it actually advocating for anyone to harm themselves. Many of your other characterizations of individuals in that post were equally misguided.

20. Dave514

Dave514

Some of this offense is just in the minds of the offended. For someone to suggest that my avatar is a backhanded attack on Christianity because it's from Apocalypse Now and I "likes to mock the fact that Christians believe there will be an endtime wrath upon the whole world."....that's tinfoil hat stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.