close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A request for the moderators please

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by powernoodle, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staylor

staylor ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Too bad the mods don't crack down on this forum like they have the Pol forum.

72Cheyenne and powernoodle like this.
  2. FireInCairo

FireInCairo

If you want to argue incessantly about your presumptions, make a dedicated forum for debate and have at it. My bet is you will get lonely there.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

You are proving my point, Dave. You always make it about the individual. You are still doing it.

By attributing to me something I never said, you are no different than the others.

We can and should have good, open debate on a wide range of biblical and other issues, but without Christians incessantly being called names. I believe a Christian worldview has its foundation in history and evidence, that it is objectively and demonstrably true, that it transforms lives, and I'm eager to discuss and debate these issues with anyone, anywhere. But we can never have a discussion when we are constantly called names ("bigoted, racist, sexist and close minded" is a direct and recent quote) in lieu of a discussion. When I ask someone where their morality comes from for example, or if they believe this universe sprang into existence from nothingness, I never get a direct answer or an opportunity for good-natured back and forth. Instead, out comes the "bigoted, racist, sexist and close minded" insults with the clear intent to prevent any good-natured discussion from ever occurring.

So no, I am not looking for like-minded individuals nor to avoid opposition. Just the opposite. I am looking to 1) learn where my theology is wrong (as David Platt says, I know some of my theology must be wrong; I just don't know which parts), and 2) to plant a seed - in a metaphorical sense - in the heart of an atheist that might some day grow and reach fruition. I want to discuss with other believers issues relating to hermaneutics, exegesis, eschatology, and on and on. I want to discuss with a Mormon or a Muslim why they believe what they believe. Yet before a discussion can begin, along comes the obligatory "bigoted, racist, sexist and close minded" stuff.

I am also guilty for taking the bait when someone calls me names for the purpose of derailing the discussion, and that is one of my many failings. So I am culpable for that.

The bottom line is that this forum desperately needs some moderation and rule enforcement, because it is no longer a discussion forum.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  4. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

This forum would soon be deserted if the Atheists were to leave, or be banned, as powernoodle wishes.

I always say that everyone deserves to have their beliefs challenged. And the (honest) Theist here do not disappoint. There are many threads here aimed at Atheists by Theists as much as we challenge their opinions they challenge ours.

We are continually compared to people such as Hitler and Stalin, told that we are immoral and heading straight for hell in a hand basket. We are told that were evil, our intent is evil and that we belong to the devil. Yet that is fine.

Still, you don't see Atheists starting threads to complain about how rude and obnoxious the Christians are.

Religion is a polarizing subject. The opinions here are in direct contradiction with each other. The debate is going to be uncomfortable for some. If you are among those than my advice is to grow a thicker skin or remain in the Okie Corral where everything tends to stay good natured.

5. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

I am just happy that I am not one who causes disruption to this forum, but rather make it lively.

Let's be honest if we are going to discuss religion with atheists and believers we are pushing a "hot button". I would like to see people express their opinions and not bash other people's beliefs. I have no problem with someone saying they do not believe in my God. I understand that. I can not prove that He is.

However this is what I don't like: I don't believe in your magic sky daddy physco in the sky who is a child killing physcopath who condones sodomy and rape then kills his make believe son in a fake death and on and on. They then claim innocence and throw in a Latin phrase to try and make up for their vile remarks in order to show their intelligence.. That is nothing but trolling.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    72Cheyenne likes this.
  6. jmohme

jmohme

If you believe that all Christians think this way, then you are living in your own fantasy world.

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

It has become the "Forum for people who have issues with religion".

There should be an "Atheist Issues" forum and I have suggested that.

The mods and the owners seem to like things just as they are.

I doubt there is a Christian among them.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Agonizer, staylor and powernoodle like this.
  8. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I say let us give it a try and find out.

There is nothing the owners/mods can do that they can't undo.

Regards,

9. Dave514

Dave514

Well, we're all individuals having discussions. Some people make wild claims. The basis for those claims get debated. I simply pointed out to you an instance where someone would take Issue.

I don't think you grasp the genesis of this forum. People were debating these things all over the forum and a place was created to contain it.

You can have it removed and these same topics will move out into other forums.

The only solution is to ban ALL religious references and discussions. I've been on boards where it was banned and the mods had their hands full squashing all the topics that came up.

Again, you don't seem to grasp that most of the people who take issue with religion aren't the religious majority. That means the people who speak out are more likely to be non religious. That's just the nature of Religious Issues. If you want a subforum called Religious People Only, that's fine with me. You won't see me in there.

10. powernoodle

powernoodle

More insults from Steve, which continue to prove my point. You make up something that no one said, falsely attribute it to Christians, and then expect to feel good about insulting someone for something they never said. With almost every post, my thesis is prove correct again and again.

11. FireInCairo

FireInCairo

It's not complicated. They can either make a dedicated subforum for Christian Fellowship where Christians can peaceably meet and discuss whatever they like, free from the incessant attacks from vitriolic atheists, or make a dedicated atheist forum where they can patiently wait for someone who cares to come and debate them about religion.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  12. F14A

F14A

Ok. That would allude, to a God, who had predestined every single event, thought or action by mankind. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

Why would Jesus speak with anyone whom he knew was in compliance with him?
    That would not be my ideal of evangelical action, by Jesus, or Peter, Paul, etc.
    Jesus rebuked known demons & devils.
    Remember Barabbas? Jesus spoke to him many, many times and ultimately Barabbas wanted nothing to do with Jesus.. if Jesus knew, why bother? Predestination is a ridiculous ideal outside of creation of the heavens & earth.
    Remember freewill? Cannot have Predestination & freewill..

13. powernoodle

powernoodle

I think we are making a little progress here. You seem to believe that "Religious Issues" really means "I have issues with Religion", or "A forum for people who hate religion". That is not the case. This forum might more aptly be called "Religious Discussion". But even if you were right, i.e., that this is a forum for people who "have issues" with religion, it does not excuse the incessant name-calling and insults that flow from those persons. You really do think this is the Atheist Forum, don't you?

72Cheyenne likes this.
  14. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Didn't Jesus say Christians should pray in their closets? Well, get on in there and do yer thing. :panties:

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

If you could point out where I said all Christians think that way, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise may I put you down for another vote for a Reading Issues subforum?

Randy

16. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

I like the sound of that, "vitriolic atheists". :highfive:

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Again, if you think no Christians have posted that stuff here, you need a Reading Issues forum.

Those are the topics that get heavy Atheist involvement. When you guys are hurling competing Bible verses at one another it's rare to see Atheists get involved.

Randy

18. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

A while back there was a mod who said he was going to clean this place up.

I guess he bit off more than he could chew.

Regards,

19. jmohme

jmohme

Ok, let me put it this way then.
    I don't know of any Christians that think earth is flat, satellites don't exist, the earth is 6000 years old, evolution is a conspiracy, dinosaurs were genetically engineered by ancient man for food and war.
    If you do then maybe I just run with a different crowd than you do.

20. ItnStln

ItnStln

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.