A Reminder-Have a Plan and Accessible Firearm

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by MGGLOCK9, May 15, 2020.

1. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

The thing that I find interesting is-this is a very low crime area. One of the day shift officers used to spend a couple hours a day in a nearby barber shop-because, well, there was nothing to do.

COLLEGEVILLE, PA — No charges will be filed in the shooting death of an intruder inside a Collegeville home in February, the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office announced Thursday. The shooting has been determined to be "justified," authorities said.

The incident occurred back on Feb. 16 at around 11:30 p.m. inside a home on the unit block of E. 3rd Avenue.

Robert F. Pollock, 55, of Schwenksville, had consumed both alcohol and drugs before breaking into the home, a toxicology report later showed. It remains unclear if this was a random act, or what circumstances led Pollock into the home.
    Pollock, armed with a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver, moved to the base of the stairway after breaking in, police said.

At that point he was confronted by a man who lived inside the home. Pollock immediately pointed his gun at the resident, and then pointed it at another resident in the home, a woman, according to authorities.

The resident shot several rounds at Pollock, and he was found dead at the bottom of the stairs by first responders.

Because the resident was in "immediate danger of death or serious bodily injury," the shooting was considered justified, the DA's Office determined.

As no charges were filed, the shooter was not identified.
    [​IMG]

-JCN-, Deltic, Penn'sWoods and 2 others like this.
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If both you and your wife come to the top of the stairs where he can point a gun at you, your plan has room for improvement.

larry_minn, -JCN-, FireForged and 6 others like this.

3. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Wife's are nosy. Good luck with that.

WPGlocks, -JCN-, IAhunter and 7 others like this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

Whether I have a gun or not I try to always have a plan. I think they call that situational awareness. Look around your space, think about what could happen & what you can & can not do. Even for those carrying little pocket guns, the tiny gun may allow you only one option at that moment.

WPGlocks, -JCN-, Recon-pull and 2 others like this.
  5. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Ye Bren...it is a corridor of fire. I think all of us here know that. And if you read carefully the article does not even specify where the defender was-it simply says the invader went down at the base of the stairs.

But this guy stopped a real threat-permanently-in the course of a clearly high stress situation. Much better than the lady being gunned down while he is on the phone, or struggling to load a pistol with fumble thumbs or manning his barricaded room and listening to people die.
    No one innocent was hurt. The home invader was defeated, in a manner that led to the resident being cleared by the DA.
    Much harder to do that then sit at a keyboard and criticize.

Mugsie1 likes this.
  6. sourdough44

sourdough44

One element in most any real or imagine ‘self defense’ or protection scenario is that one’s brain needs to be ahead of any use of force or gunfire. Yes I realize events happen in seconds, that’s why thinking ahead is important.

Look at the many events pontificated in various threads. In seconds, one’s life is turned upside down.

Of course, in your home, armed intruder, likely a record, fire away.

7. Recon-pull

Recon-pull Billy Jacked

I don’t think it’s much of a conundrum. You damn sure better have ready access to a firearm on every level of your home. If you’re downstairs and some home invaders kick your front door open, somehow finding the time to run upstairs and fetch your reliable wheelgun doesn’t seem to likely. That’s how I roll. That’s my plan.

Penn'sWoods likes this.
  8. Recon-pull

Recon-pull Billy Jacked

T
    Former prosecutor here. This a classic case of justifiable homicide. Even the People’s Republic of New York where I live provides this defense in Article 35 of the Penal Law. There is no duty to retreat. Case closed.

WPGlocks, -JCN- and Penn'sWoods like this.
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I do not disagree with having a firearm readily available. That said, have some decent doors, door jambs and preferably some sort of security inspired "storm door".

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Sadly in MN you have to retreat if you can.