close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A REGRET: Anyone have one besides me?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Peace Warrior, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Okay, not counting romance opportunities, I have a regret that reminds me what a foolish kid I was in my mid-20's.

Short and sweet, a buddy of mine went to Alaska. He made out great! After six months, or maybe a year, he moved his family (i.e., at that time a wife and a kid) and asked me to come to Alaska. It was a solid proposition, and the day I stepped off the plane onto Alaskan soil I had a place to stay and job. What I'm saying is that it wasn't a dream, it was a sure thing.

Now remember, it's short and sweet here.

However, I was offered $2 more an hour, by the company I was with at the time, if I stayed here in Florida, and yes, I bit.

On the other hand, my regret: The guy that invited me, well, he is now a certified "mud puddle" jumping pilot, has five kids, everything he has (e.g., OWNS) is paid in full, which includes the house he left here in Florida, and he now, after I just got off the phone with him, he is "contemplating" starting his own "mud puddle jumping" airline service.

BTW: Except for the phone call tonight, the rest of this all happened during my mid-20's, which only makes it more appalling as I look back. Dang my young and foolish actions!!! :steamed: :steamed: :steamed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. mixflip

mixflip

Everything is 20/20 in retrospect.

My cousin had kids and got married at 18... he is now a very young father of a 19 year old son which I think is great!

I didnt have my kids til just a few years ago but my wife and I had nothing holding us back in our 20's with spontaneous trips to NYC, DC, L.A. Ca, San Diego, San Francisco, Tahoe, Vegas, Arizona, Oregon coast, Seattle, and all the islands of Hawaii while my cousin pretty much didnt go anywhere in the world other than his 25 mile radius.

You cant have a perfect life. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

3. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Yep, know the feeling.. Tested, interviewed and had a BUDS class date backin 1995. Was up for orders, was offered shore-duty in Georgia (close to home) after 3 back to back sea duty tours on ships anchored in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach armpit area..

So, I blew it off and took the orders to Georgia after training myself for 2 years and spending a 6 month med cruise hanging and working out with the guys from Team 8 Bravo Platoon every morning. We shared a berthing with them while we deployed to Bosnia during the Bos/Herz campaign, and they were great mentors and disappointed in me when I pulled the plug.

I've what if'd myself many times over the years..and lately it doesn't help that I'm reading "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle" and hearing of his adventures..

However, I met my wife my first week in Georgia, got a Physical Security Billet there (navy cop job) which got me the experience to get the police officer job I got when I left the Navy, which helped me land the fantastic fed 1811 job I have now.

In contrast, if I had taken the other path, I could now be disabled or maimed, or a highly trained warrior retiree with no skills that translate to civilian jobs, and too old for the 37/yo age cap for fed agent jobs, or too broken-down to work.....OR DEAD!

So....I am happy with what life has given me, and feel very fortunate, despite veering off my original path..

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Passed up a job in computers in 1980. I passed because I didn't know a single thing about them and did not have the vision of what they would become. When he sold out in the early 90s everyone who was still with him made millions.

Wish I had stayed in the Marine reserves instead of getting out. I had enough of the infantry and also had a bad knee injury so I got out. I was also married with a daughter and my father in law would help me with school. If I had stayed in I would be retiring from the reserves with 30 years in two months.

5. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

The fact that he succeeded, does not necessarily mean you would have.

There ya go: solace.

6. Padre

Padre

"Regrets..I've had a few,
    But then again, too few to mention...."

Frankie S. :)

7. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

"I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption"

Looking back in 20/20 hindsight, I sometimes wish I'd started my LE career in a different palce. If I had I'd probably be wearing a stripe or two now and wouldn't be looking for a good department during a ****ty economy. Couldn't see any of this coming and had I done things different I wouldn't have found my soon to be wife, so its hard to call it a regret overall.

8. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Who can say what might have been? Don't know how many years ago this was, but those years were spent in Florida instead of in Alaska. Did you not meet (maybe marry) someone who you wouldn't have otherwise? Weren't there experiences you had during those years that are important to you? You're comparing your life as you have lived it to an ideal that never happened. You might have hated Alaska after your first winter or after your first 1,000 mosquito bites. You might have frozen to death or drowned or gotten killed in a fire. Who knows? Enjoy the thoughts of what might have been for what they are - don't use them to trash your real life in comparison. This is the only one you get.

9. BK63

BK63

I regret not buying a lot of different stock when it first came out. I would be retired now.

10. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

My only regret is not telling my grandfather how I appreciated his input to my childhood-he was a great man.
    I also regret not knowing my grandparents on my fathers side better.

11. cmrtwister6115

cmrtwister6115

Yes there were quite a few, I was a Gun Dealer back in the late 70s and I look back now at many of the guns I had back then and sold so cheap and see what they are going for now.

12. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Should have picked different majors. Should have taken a different job out of college, far away from where I did. Should have gone back to school for grad work. Should have had kids sooner rather than later.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Doesn't matter. I am where I am and I try to be grateful for it, 'cause I could very easily be dead, if I'd made different choices.

Mrs.Cicero

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

When I was 16, I took an art class at the community college over the summer. I had to get a bunch of paperwork done to take it since I was still in high school. Late the next winter, I got a handwritten invitation from the instructor to join her for a week at the beach the following summer.

Each year, she chose a student or two, maybe three, to go to the beach with her. You did nothing but paint the entire week. Every sunrise and sunset...or whatever subject you found there you liked. It was a retreat just for painting.

I am still kicking myself for not going and that was 20 years ago. Damn.

14. badge315

badge315

I regret never having served in the military. Ironically, my father, who was a sergeant in the army, was the one who talked me out of enlisting and to remain in college. It's the only advice my father ever gave me that I wished I'd ignored.

15. CAcop

CAcop

There are times when I wish I had become a teacher. That way now with a wife and kid I would only have to be somewhere between about 0700 and 1500. The nights and weekends spent grading papers and lesson plans could be done around my time for the most part. Of course most holidays would be free rather than having to work them. Then again I might have gotten bored or hated management telling me how to teach or not being able to afford a home in the same county where I work.

I think a lot of people mistake "what would have happened if" for actual regrets. The things people really regret are things like loaning a relative a lot of money that never gets paid back or not talking to a family member for years and they die before you make peace with them.

As for my work I sometimes wish I had promoted but when I see the kind of people who did get promoted I notice they are nothing like me. They put their family second, they only have friends at work to stab in the back, and they sit in an office all day with people micromanaging them. Sure I am micromanaged out on the street but no where to the level they are. Very few of them regret not working patrol forever because the thought of not having stripes on their sleeves or brass on their collars is a fate worse than death to them.

People tend to find their place in life.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I regret that my parents passed away, other than that I wouldn't change a minute. Oh, wait, there was that one woman I fell in love with and never did anything about it.

Jack

17. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

I regret that we have 4 more years of Obama coming since things have magically turned around overnight, according to the media. So the country I love will only go further down the toilet.

18. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

If it makes you feel any better, it isn't really 0700-1500 - you end up being required to serve in some additional capacity, as a sports coach or running some extracurricular activity, or afterschool enrichment program or whatever, and that inevitably gets you home a few hours later. The one true perk - summers off - were not enough to make me stay in public ed. In fact, the entire experiment turned me from a long-haired, vegetarian, earthy-crunchy barefoot hippie into a right-wing, gun-loving, carnivore.

Mrs.Cicero

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yes.

Our church has gone through a lot of pain in the last 4 years. I am in leadership. I regret not fighting as hard as I think today that I should have on certain issues. My worst fears consistently were realized. I regret not willing to completely die on certain issues. I'd have been thrown out of leadership, or perhaps the church itself, but it was something I should have been willing to do.

Today, I will die for what is right. No fear. No compunction.

20. devildogdad

devildogdad

I regret buying a Sig Mosquito 22 last week insted of a Ruger SR22