Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just renewed my amateur radio license on line. It took less than five minutes, and they didn't even charge me for my vanity callsign. (I wonder when that happened...)

I've been a ham for over 55 years and this was the easiest renewal yet!

Just thought I'd share. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

(update below)

·
Mentally Frozen
28,465 Posts
That was very informative, and educational.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,568 Posts
It's pretty sad that .GOV requires a license to operate a damn radio to begin with. They got their $$$, though.

It's to prove you have the fundamental aptitude not to interfere with the communications of others. That's it. We don't want every clown walking all over Public Safety or Air Freqs because they were protesting the gubmint's heavy hand of the airwaves.

...and it doesn't cost anything to get licensed.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,568 Posts
In English, please.

"Chat" - to talk
"Roulette" - A game of luck

"Chatroulette" - You never know who you will get to talk to because the ionosphere conditions constantly change which can increase or degrade your ability to communicate.

...it's not always an old guy, but many times it is :)

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update
The license was renewed for another 10-year term overnight.
There must be no humans involved in the renewal process anymore. It seems like an overnight computer run to me. I've printed out my official copies, and am good to go until 2030, if I'm still alive by then. (I'll be 80 years old...)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Update
The license was renewed for another 10-year term overnight.
There must be no humans involved in the renewal process anymore. It seems like an overnight computer run to me. I've printed out my official copies, and am good to go until 2030, if I'm still alive by then. (I'll be 80 years old...)
So, what you are saying is that the government is starting to be run by artificial intelligence.

Hmm....

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
It's pretty sad that .GOV requires a license to operate a damn radio to begin with. They got their $$$, though.
A limited resource and too many idiots in the world.

Reactions: jame

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, what you are saying is that the government is starting to be run by artificial intelligence.

Hmm....
May be... Of course, the use of computers has streamlined things, but I am beginning to wonder how involved in decision-making silicon based intelligence is becoming.

·
Tin Kicker
10,395 Posts
"Chat" - to talk
"Roulette" - A game of luck

"Chatroulette" - You never know who you will get to talk to because the ionosphere conditions constantly change which can increase or degrade your ability to communicate.

...it's not always an old guy, but many times it is :)
That was also a website 10-15 years ago. You would log in and be randomly connected to another video chatter somewhere in the world. It was intended to bring people together who otherwise would never meet or even seek each other out.
At least that was the idea.
In less than a year, odds were you would be randomly connected to...some middle aged dude playing with himself.
The site's popularity quickly plumited.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,568 Posts
That was also a website 10-15 years ago. You would log in and be randomly connected to another video chatter somewhere in the world. It was intended to bring people together who otherwise would never meet or even seek each other out.
At least that was the idea.
In less than a year, odds were you would be randomly connected to...some middle aged dude playing with himself.
The site's popularity quickly plumited.

Dick pics, ruining first impressions for more than 15 years...

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I wish ham radio really made ham come out of the receiver.

Then I'd be really interested.

Perhaps more so if there were a bacon radio.

·
NRA Life Member
29,343 Posts

Hmm....
I'll take artificial intelligence over natural stupidity anytime.

Reactions: Gray Dood
1 - 17 of 17 Posts