close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Rant

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Billy10mm, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Here it is the next day and I'm still PO'd - pretty much at everyone. I wanted to do one thing this weekend, go the range with the new H&K P30S my wife just received. That's it, just one thing.

Saturday I wasn't able to be cause of things my wife wanted me to take care of, but that was okay, because I had time after my kids swim lessons Sunday morning to go for a few hours. Later Sunday afternoon, my wife's family is coming over for dinner - but that's not till 4PM so I have plenty of time to go to the range.

At swimming, I turn to my wife to remind her that as soon as we get home I'm grabbing my gear and heading out to the range and I see the surprise in her eyes. Oh no. Turns out her oldest sister had asked her to move dinner a few hours earlier because she wants to make it to her own swimming lesson in Brooklyn at 6PM. So my wife moved it up to 1PM, at her sister's request, and since she has to start cooking immediately when she gets home, I get relegated to clean-the-house duty. Okay. Am I upset? A little, but at least my wife is really apologetic and is acknowledging how screwed up this is to me.

So we rush home from swimming and I tell the kids there is no TV, we have to clean. One of them is putting away toys, the other is putting away books. I'm making the bed, vacuuming, and scrubbing down the bathroom. At 1:05 we finish, sweating. House looks good. No one is here yet.

1:15, 1:30, 1:45, 2:00, 2:15 ...

2:21 the oldest sister sends my wife a text message saying that she's waiting for mom (she was going to be picking up mom and another sister on her way up here from the city) and will be late. (NO, really!?!?)

Minutes later, the phone rings, its my wife's brother. He's calling to tell us that he just left his house (in NJ) and hit bridge traffic, and that he's going to be late. (What The !@^#%$&)

3:10 - everyone arrives at the same time. One out of 6 adults make a passing comment as they walk in the door, "Hi, sorry we're late ....". The oldest sister starts complaining about how mom held up her, and now she's going to have to rush to make it to her swimming class. I walked away, went to our bedroom, and tried to calm down. On what planet is this behavior acceptable?

I was livid the entire night. I'm typically a pretty jovial person. When the oldest sister at one point asks me why I look mad, I told her that I didn't sleep well because of allergies. A bottle of wine later I was feeling better, but as soon as the wine wore off later that night, I was livid again. Barely slept last night. Those two hours would have been perfect range time. I think the worst part is that my wife hasn't said anything to anyone. I understand why - no one in her family accepts fault for anything at any time. Everything is always someone else's fault, so if she says something, they'll just start blaming other people and refuse to acknowledge their own actions - so it just becomes a lose-lose.

But that just makes me more enraged. &*^!#$%(^$%!#(*$%!

Sorry, had to rant. Range is closed today, but I'll be taking off work tomorrow and doing whatever the hell I damn well please including putting lots of 9mm and 10mm holes in paper and various other water-filled objects. Maybe I'll go see Oblivion too and dream of a world where I get to send people at will to an empty planet.

2. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Ah, stuff happens. Even if they informed you ever second of their current status starting at 1pm, you wouldn't have gotten out. Best to just let it go.

4. captainstormy

captainstormy

Life is to short to sweat stuff like that. Not saying you can't be annoyed about it not getting to have some range time. But being upset about it still seems a bit much to me.

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Why we long time quit having folks over for dinner. We meet in a restaurant. Wait 15 minutes then order. Don't even have to do the dishes. Life is good!

6. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

People who get invited to dinner at our house know that if they pull that sort of thing on us it will be their last invite. That goes for family too. Fortunately my inlaws are just fine.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:agree:

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So what I read is the OP was not adequately prepared for the day. He seemed to run out alcohol.

Lesson: make sure and have enough wine (beer or hard stuff) on hand to make it through the day with family.

9. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

First thing to make me laugh in 24 hours. Thanks for that, and all joking aside, I think I'll take you up on that recommendation.

10. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Was dessert served in a timely fashion?

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

It's things like this that sometimes make me wish I was still single. Life is simpler and more enjoyable.

12. jcrow

jcrow

Go hug your wife and kids and be thankful they are safe and healthy.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Second thing to make me laugh. I'm glad I posted. =)

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sorry your day was screwed up. I guess it is a balancing act between your desires and family desires.

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

15. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Hopefully you'll get out shooting soon. :wavey:

16. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

Communication breakdown:
    If your wife had kept you in the loop you could've had the oldest sister meet you at the pool for the kid's lesson, thrown her in the deep end, and been at the range by 1:00.

With dinner that early, I would've just gone to the range afterward. Doesn't sound like the latecomers were interested in visiting anyway, just a free meal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Yeah, but single people are less happy and die sooner.

OP, Your wife owes you a day at the range.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  18. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Feel your pain! Time to me is precious. Come Summer, I boat when it's not raining on weekends......plan a Wedding or some big Family Party May 25 - Sept 6th....don't plan on seeing me there. I keep it simple.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It was, but it sat in the dish for 30 min while everyone stared at it.

20. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

That sucks. I don't think people who are not punctual know how much is ticks those of us who are.

I've always been a "get their early/stay late" kinda person. Now having a family, I realize that you gotta squeeze every last ounce out of a day to get anything done. All it takes is one person being 30 minutes later to throw off the whole rhythm.

Enjoy the range day tomorrow!