close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A question for the motorcycle gurus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by EM87, Jan 30, 2010.

1. EM87

EM87

First some information:

My riding history:

I took the MSF class at 16 (I'm 22 now) and spent a lot of time learning how to ride safely. I rode around my neighborhood on a CB450 and a '93 Katana 600 until my friend who owned the bikes was comfortable enough to let me on the road with them. I got a bit of practice on those bikes before I bought a '93 Suzuki Katana 600 (same as my friend's) at age 18. I laid it down once (the first day I had it) and learned a lesson about safety and stupidity. I was a much safer rider after that. I rode it for a few years before it broke down and I was broke with no money to fix it, so I got rid of it.

Two summers ago (age 20/21) I took a trip to NC and rented a HD Fat Boy (new that year, only 200 miles on it). I took a day trip on it with the girl I was visiting on the back. Man, what a great bike! I was so comfortable on it and had no trouble handling it at all, even with a passenger. (I'd gone to church with this girl in middle school before she moved down to NC and became a stripper. Who'd have thought? It was a fun trip! :supergrin:) I scraped the floorboards up a bit on some turns, which reminded me that I was on a cruiser, not my old Katana.

Last summer I went down to NC again, but this time to visit family. My birth grandfather (I'm adopted) has a Goldwing. He let me ride it, which I did with minimal trouble. That's one heavy bike! I was safe with it but had a little trouble getting used to the weight at first. It got a lot easier after a few hours of riding. Come to find out, I was the only person he'd ever let ride that thing. I was honored! Later that summer (for my 22nd birthday) I got the chance to ride another large bike. I wish I could remember what it was, but I can't. It was about the size of the Fat Boy. I had no trouble handling that either.

The point I'm trying to make through relaying my experiences on these various motorcycles is that I'm comfortable with bikes of all sizes.

My motorcycle preferences:

I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent on all the cruisers I mentioned riding, as they were extremely comfortable. The thing I didn't like though, is that they're definitely not sportbikes. I want to be able to ride the twisties without scraping floorboards! If I were to buy a new bike (which I'm hoping to be able to afford soon) I want something that is comfortable and sporty.

I absolutely love how the Yamaha YZF R6 looks. The 2005 Raven edition was my dream bike until I actually sat on one and found out how uncomfortable it is. The Honda CBRs look really nice too. However, due to the lack of comfort, these bikes are out of the question. Last year I sat on an Aprilia Shiver (an orange one! 750 cc's) and loved it! It looks sexy and is comfortable too! That would be what I would get, except I can't afford it. I would like a 600 or a 750. No liter bikes for me. I'm looking for something less expensive than the Shiver, but still sporty and comfortable. Also, it has to be within my limited budget.

If you're still following the novel I've written here, I have come to the part where I ask the question!

The question:

What would you folks here at the GT brain trust recommend for a bike that is comfortable, reliable, sporty, and cheap? To save cost, a used bike is a must.

2. Powder

Powder

used Honda VFR

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Very good call here.

4. MitchellB

MitchellB

I've only owned a few bikes over the years and I got to agree, a large bike like I got now (1500 Vulcan Classic) is not as nibble in the twistys as some of the smaller bikes I've owned (scraped the floorboards more than once), but it is a more confortable ride in the saddle all day long. I had couple of older 1000cc Sportsters that were a lot of fun to ride. They were about the best bikes I rode that cornered good, rode decent and had plenty of power when I needed it. While not as confortable as a larger bike, they were still a better all day ride than either my CB750 or Triumph that I once owned. I'd consider a used Sportster. They can often be found for a reasonable price, look great and have a pretty decent trade in value.

5. Conrad559

Conrad559

I think you would be perfect on a sport touring bike. Something like a V Strom, FZ1, or even an SV650. the Sv's are cheap, tons of parts availability, they're comfortable, and they still handle very well. good luck with your decision :D i love my '08 R6

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

When I was 22, I had a Harley too.
    I recommend a 2002-2005 Aprilia Tuono. Wonderful bike but with extremely low retail value. Italian styling and performance with Japanese reliability. Maintenance is simple: change oil every 4500-miles, check the valves every 24,000-miles. Even if valve adjustments were needed, it ain't much to do them.

I loved mine and I cursed myself every stinking time I thought about it - I killed her in a crash. Sure, I got another one' a newer and faster model but it wasn't the same.

The 2002-2005 Tuonos were ferocious. Power delivery comes on with a bang, suspension is capable but requires a lot of fine tuning, brakes will stop on you a dime or flip you over your head. It wasn't a bike for the faint of heart.

Here's one on Craig's list for $6500 though I think that realistically it should be around $5000. Damn, she looks just like my old one.:crying:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/1571126822.html

7. EM87

EM87

I'll look into the VFR. From a quick google image search, they look pretty cool. I probably can't afford a newer one so I have to ask, what's a good year for that model? Is it something I could get for under 2 grand?

The Sportster looks like too much of a cruiser for me, but it's a nice bike. I think that may have actually been the bike I rode for my 22nd bday (the one I couldn't recall in my first post.)

I know I'm being picky, but I don't really like the looks of the SV 650. It's not quite sporty enough for my taste. I've heard a lot of good things about them over the years though. If I got a chance to ride one and it was really comfortable, I might change my mind. :p

It's been so long since I've been in the market for a bike. Is there a good website for buying a used bike? cycle trader?

8. HDMotorcop

HDMotorcop

I'd look at a Kawasaki Concours or BMW RT. Both available fairly reasonably used.

9. EM87

EM87

Ooh, that one looks nice. Was it comfortable to ride?

Also, Conrad mentioned something in the sport touring category. Any suggestions other than the SV650?

Also, my budget is very limited. I doubt I'll be able to get any of the bikes mentioned here with the money I have. I'm looking at about $2k right now...

10. Conrad559

Conrad559

you'll have a really tough time finding something you truly want in the $2k range. you might be able to get a Kawi 250 at that price.

If you're not a fan of the sv650, the yamaha FZ1 and FZ6 are also great bikes. The FZ1 has plenty power (detuned R1 motor) and it's quite comfortable. If u could maybe come up to the $4k range, you'd def. find something nice

have you ever looked into a supermotard? it's essentially a dirtbike with street tires. They handle like nobody's business, extremely light weight, nice torquey bottom end and decent prices. Look into a Suzuki DRZ400 or Yamaha WR250X (71MPG!!!)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  11. 357ruger

357ruger

Not a guru but did start off with a yamaha 60 about 36yrs ago:cool:I bought a honda vtx 1300R and have nothing but good to say about it.Weight is about 700lbs but is not top heavy.Mine is an 06 model and paid $5500.00 with some custom paint(engine painted black).Had 6200mi on it.Started to get an 05"C" model but dealer would not come down on price of $5800.00+tax.I bought this from an individual so straight cash.Already had a passenger backrest so I added some cobra longs and US saddle bags and mustang seat.Good for an all day ride.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  12. Smashy

Smashy

Something from the '80s...

[​IMG]

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Comfortable enough for me to do 1000-miles days on it. Took me a day and a half to ride from LA to Corpus Christi.

It isn't as comfortable as a rolling barcaloungers sold by Honda (Goldwing), BMW (RT, LT) or Harley (Road King), but it also doesn't bore you to death either.

14. imsuchahotdog

imsuchahotdog

before i got my R1 i had an 07 R6 which i really enjoyed. alot of these bikes its rider preference so go ahead and hit up a motorcycle store and take a seat in a couple of them. i really enjoyed my old R6, and miss it at times
    [​IMG]

15. Conrad559

Conrad559

well, since we're posting pics now...:whistling:
    [​IMG]

16. EM87

EM87

Yeah, I didn't have much hope for a nice bike for only 2 grand. I'll have to save up a bit more or take out a loan, I suppose.

I haven't looked into a supermotard, but I have a friend who had one for a while. I'll ask him what he thought of it.

Oh no.... a picture thread! I'll be watching this one all night now, haha.

17. 357ruger

357ruger

18. EM87

EM87

19. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Go sit on a Ninja. If you're handy, buy two that've been wrecked and put them together. If I was to buy another bike now, it would probably be a 750 Magna. I once rode a Goldwing that had been stripped of all the extra junk that has no business being on a motorcycle anyway(trunk and radio, are you kidding me?). Was pretty slick, I thought. I believe the Valkyrie(same engine as the Goldwing without all the googahs) would be similar.

I'll buy another bike just as soon as a new motorcycle-only road system gets built.

20. 357ruger

357ruger

That's just a video off you tube.It will get up to 100 pretty quick and clear the front tire in second gear.I don't have the windshield or fairing or any of the other stuff.I think it's sporty enough and very comfortable to ride.Cobra's are a little louder than I expected but not bad if you don't get on it hard.I sometimes think about the "C' model with 4" risers and a 240 rear tire.:supergrin: