close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Question for the board

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Dnew, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

I'm old and my eyes don't work so good anymore so I wear the lineless bifocals. They work great until it's time to focus on the front sight, then they don't work so good anymore. To get the front sight in focus I have to tilt my head back which doesn't lend to a good stance. Also the target is a big blur, but the front sight is clear...what to do?

I tripped over a neat little device made by the Merit Corp. of NY...

http://www.meritcorporation.com/index.html

It is an improvement as I can now hold my head in a somewhat proper position...and now the 64K$ question. Can I use this little gismo for GSSF competition???

I have looked for an email address for GSSF to no avail, could call them but don't want to waste their time on the trivials - so I put it to the boards knowledge and wisdom of all things Glock and GSSF...

What say ye?? And thanks!!

Dee

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I don't know if it's legal or not but since it doesn't attach to the gun there may be no problem. I've never seen anyone use one at a match but I would think it would be a greater hinderance than help. The aperture device works well when you're not moving or in a hurry. A better or maybe the best solution is to have a set of glasses setup with your dominate eye set for the front sight and your non dominate eye set for distance. Us more seasoned guys have to make adjustments the younger guys don't have to deal with. I've found the glasses to be the ticket for me.

3. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Amen to Jerrys' response...I did try this system...for targeting shooting on targets that you did not have to worry about acquistion quickly they worked, the GSSF course did not. I also went to the Optometrist ( about 4 visits) in 2 years and can see the front sight with the dominate eye and the D1 out to 25 yds with the opposing eye, I only use the dominant eye to sight but can see hits after the fact, unfortunately the younger eyes have that advantage but I feel that as we age wisdom and persistance seem to replace that what was lost ....good luck ;f

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I don't know if its legal or not but a little bird tells me no. I also can see where it would work on stationary target shooting but in GSSF type shooting you must aquire multiple targets at every stage( 5 D-1's at 5 to Glock, 4 D-1's and 3 steel at Glock "M" and 6 steel plates on the plates stage). Therefore I don't think it would be anygood.

I also wear bifocals and have a cataract in my weak eye to boot. The optomertist is you best bet. Talk with him/her and explain what you are doing and they can probably be a lot of help. Until I had new glasses made last Aug. I to had a choice of front site or target and either way couldn't see the scoring rings on a D-1 at 25 yards. Now I can shoot with both eyes open, see a sharpe front site and the target rings at 25 yards.

As Jerry says "us more mature" folks have a few added challenges, but it can be conquered.

See ya at Statesville. Remember I will be the old guy with the Team Sidearmor shirt but still the best looking.;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

5. Glockshot

Glockshot

I have lens implants in both eyes after I was found to have cataracts. The one in my right eye has a laser that picks up the device put onto my front sight (Bo-Mar) immidately with no problem. I do feel a slight twist in my neck as the eye goes immediately to a sight picture however my surgon told me that would go away after a while. But Don good buddy, how in the heck can you see those scoreing rings at 10,15, and 25yds.;d

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Glockshot:Very Carefully . Its a challenge for sure. I imagine I will see a big difference when I get that darn cataract removed and the implant installed. Say where did you find the Lazer Implant? Maybe with that I could give Bobby and Tom some competition. ;g ;g ;g ;g ;g See ya at Statesville. Travel safely and good luck.

7. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

Thanks folks for the input...although I haven't tried the opticle gismo yet, it sounds reasonable that it won't work too well whilst on the move as in GSSF shooting. I guess a special pair of glasses, as suggested, will be the best bet...I'll probably end up doing Statesville with my nose pointed slightly up in the air, so I can see the front sight mind you. It's not pretty, nor is it the most effective method as my weight is aft instead of fwd - oh well...

Thanks again for the expertise...

Dee

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dee,

I, too, share your problem. I'm nearsighted, wear bifocals, left eye dominant and right handed. I can see the front sight picture perfect without my glasses and often shoot with just plain shooting glasses. I cannot always see the D-1 scoring rings, but I know where they are.

I've got one of those gadgets, which works fine for bullseye, slow fire shooting, and helps when shooting at an indoor range.

Regardless which solution you settle on, do not wear dark glasses. The clear lenses force your eye pupil to reduce it's size greatly due to the bright sun. This reduction in size increases your depth of field vision, just like a camera lens. It's mother nature's version of that gadget.

There is a optician that is a master IPSC shooter in my area. He also suggests your dominant eye lense to be for focus on the front sight and your other lense for distance.