A question for Hotmail E-mail users.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Jan 20, 2010.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had a hotmail e-mail account for some time.
    I originally set it up so I could give it out instead of my real e-mail address.

The problem is, now I get a lot of recurring unwanted mail, legitimate stuff but unwanted, so I have to continuously delete this stuff every time I open hotmail.

The question is, is there a function in hotmail to automatically delete or not accept chosen senders? Maybe like a spam filter?

I have too many necessary contacts using the current address to just close it out and open a new one.

2. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I have used it for exactly that for years... (Thought I'd have to throw it away waaaay before now, but that never happened..)

Your solution is to designate those as 'junk'... Then they will languish in the junk folder for a month, then be automatically flushed. in the meantime, you can look at them and see if anything of interest made it into the junk folder.....:supergrin:

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

At present replacing the hotmail account isn't a option, maybe if it becomes too big a problem later. Thanks for the link, I'll save it for possible future use.

I saw that but I didn't try it. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Once I call a address "junk" does hotmail automatically send that address to the junk folder. If I still have to manually send the unwanted e-mails to the junk folder I wouldn't be saving any work.

5. gdvan01

gdvan01

Roger that. Finally got the wife to dump Hotmail and get a Gmail account.

6. bchandler

bchandler

I have both hotmail and gmail accounts, and in each the spam goes to the spambox automatically. I occasionally get one along with legit e-mails in hotmail which I need to manually delete, but its no big deal. I've given out my hotmail to pretty much every online form out there and don't get much spam in my inbox, so the filter does a good job. Hotmail still works fine for me many years later, don't see why the hate exists.

7. fiasconva

fiasconva

Go to your options and set up your junk mail box. Most of that crap will go there instead of your inbox. Then you can empty the junk mail box when you check your email. Very simple and works great for me.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.:)

9. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

yes every time you get unwanted email joust market Spam and remove from your address book

10. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

You can also create folders to receive all from specific sender or senders.

That way if there is one or more that send stuff that you want to filter out from your inbox but you want to review them from time to time before flushing the folder, you can do so.

The INBOX is really just a default location to receive anything that you haven't designated a different box for.
    You can create as many "inboxes" as you wish and direct anything recived from any sender to them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010