A Question for Baseball Gurus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndyGunFreak, Apr 24, 2012.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but on occasion, I do enjoy catching a game.

As luck would have it, I started watching Humbers "Perfect Game" the other night around the 4th. Amazing pitching performance.

My question: I've noticed many times in games past, a batter will sometimes try to "steal first". This always happens when the count is full, and the catcher loses the ball (similar to what happened at the end of the perfect game) Since the batter was ruled to have swung, and the pitch went wild, the catcher got the ball, and threw him out before he got to first. Why wasn't this a strike out since it was a 3rd strike?

Hopefully that made sense, but it was the best way I could phrase this. I've wondered about this for years, and never knew anybody to ask.

2. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

As i understand it... it was a none caught ball, making it fair play because it was in the zone and batter made a swing. Therefore its still fair play.

The batter may attempt to advance to first on a third strike that isn't caught if (1) first base is not occupied or (2) there are two out.

The only time the batter is called out on a third strike that isn't legally caught is if 1st base is occupied before there are two out. In that situation, the B-R is not entitled to attempt to advance to 1st.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

3. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

On strike three, if the catcher fails to catch the ball the batter is not out and can run to first. The play at first is a force out, so the catcher can either tag the batter, or throw to first.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

What he said............also sometimes when the ball is bounced and the catcher blocked it and the batter swung and missed, sometimes the batter dosen't care to run to first and just walk off upset. I dont know if there is an exact rule that says you have to tag him or throw to first in this situation but the batter is usually out.

:50cal:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thank you, but.. Why is this?

If it was a strike, and it was strike 3.. what does it matter if the catcher caught the ball or not?

I dunno, the rule doesn't make much sense to me..

IGF

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

It's just one of the more quirky rules of baseball...like the infield fly rule.

Also...the strikeout DOES count for the pitcher's stats....but no out is recorded if the batter reaches first base.

Mario Soto once had four strike outs in one inning while pitching for the Cincinnati Reds.

7. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

At the end of the game, Ryan's "check" swing was called a strike. AJ dropped it and had to throw him out. Ryan, rather than run to 1st nearly stood there and argued the call. As soon as he was thrown out, he came right back to argue.
    I think the ump got caught in the moment and wanted to be a part of history. I don't have a horse in the race, but that sure didn't look like a swing to me and they aren't making an effort to have a replay from a different angle available.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I disagree, it looked like a swing to me.

The runner wouldn't have made it anyway, but.. I've just always wondered why that rule was there.

Guess like airmotive said, it's just one of those quirky rules.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Infield Fly is designed not to give the defensive team an unfair advantage. It freezes everyone on the bags and assures a double or triple play just by dropping the ball.

I remember years and years and years ago, Roberto Alomar pulling a double-play that way. It was awesome. (Not an IFR because only one dude on base and I think no outs.) He was right next to second, acted as if he was going to catch it. He let it drop, picked it up, stepped on second and threw to first. It was amazing to watch. Runner at first couldn't move and risk being doubled up. Fill the bags and you can be out of an inning too quickly.