close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

a question about shar pei

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by RyanTx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. RyanTx

RyanTx

My wife is interested in getting a shar pei. She called around and found a 3 year old house trained female that is in need of a new home. Do you have any negative or positive thoughts on the breed?

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ryan,
    I am sure you will hear both good and bad on the breed, I, however would not recommend them. First off, lots of skin, health problems due to wrinkles and breeding problems. Second, this breed seems to have LOTS of attitude. I equate them to a Chinese pit bull with aids. Have you ever had a dog professional trained? Are you and your wife the type to handle an extremely dominant breed? They need some form of exercise to wear the aggression out of them, (not being out in the yard by themselves). Do you have small children? Answer these questions and go visit the dog in question. How does it act? Is it wearing a collar? What type of collar? Can the present owners make the dog do something it doesn’t want to do? Such as take food or favorite toy from it? Usually from my experience someone selling, giving away a dog at 3 years old is highly suspicious. Sounds to me like the owners tried to make the dog do something it didn’t want to do and the dog snapped at them or bit them. Now if there are no small children around that can be handled relatively easily with professional help.
    Again I would talk with the wife and find out why she wants this breed and has she ever had any hands on experience with them. If she wants one because they look cute and cuddly, than absolutely NO WAY.
    Not properly handled this breed is an intense fighter with lots of heart and does have the capability of killing or maiming a human being.
    Hope this helps some and if you have further questions shoot me a pm (or post).

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Right; unless properly trained they are like a combination Chow Chow and Pit Bull.

Headstrong and unpredictable. A bad combination, especially with any kids around the house/neighborhood.

Some are sweet (most are, when properly trained) and some are chained outside for their entire lives (bully dogs & weak owners).

You could go see the pooch by yourself first; that way if it is 'cute' the wife won't be a bad influence by letting her emotions overcome sense!

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I had one at one time. Put it to rest with a 12ga. I'll never own one again, it chewed up everything and bit my nephew in the face.

5. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

there was one in my training class. the owner had her hands full!! he was a nice looking dog but very headstrong and stubborn. plus he wasn't too fond of the other dogs. when we asked her if she'd ever get another one, she said no.

i would be a little concerned why the owner was getting rid of a 3 year old as previously mentioned.