close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A question about must inform states

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by glocked-up, Feb 15, 2010.

1. glocked-up

glocked-up

When stopped in a 'must inform' state, are you required to inform the officer only when you have your firearm on your person/or readily accessible i.e. in the console, glove box etc...Can someone chime in and shed some light on this subject?

Say you get stopped and your firearm is in the trunk....must you inform?

2. 2afreedom

2afreedom

We were told that even if we had no firearm in the vehicle to tell the officer that we had a permit and that we were not carrying. This is the law in my state and that way there's no surprises when the officer runs your license and sees you have your CHP. For me informing is just a courtesy and I do it even in states that I am not required to. Here in the south most officers don't make a big deal about it.

3. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I inform them that I have a permit, and that I'm carrying. At the two random checkpoints, I did this while I had both hands in plain sight on the steering wheel.

While changing a tire in the emergency lane of I-40, I let the officer know that I had a permit, but that I'd put the firearm in a lock box in the car.

When being interviewed in my home by an officer responding to a call, I informed him, then kept my my hands in sight during the interview.

I've had positive reactions every time. Three of the four times, I was thanked for handling the situation the way I did. The fourth (the home visit), after the interview, he asked me what I was carrying and we had a brief discussion about guns.

Maybe people that live in other states or communities have more problems. But here in NC, the police are generally supportive of CCH permits.

4. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

In Utah they know as soon as they run your plates so it's a real good idea to inform whether you're packing or not.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

As a carrying traveller you should always check the specifics of any carry law where your feet touch the ground. While you're at it, make sure you're up on the current deadly force statutes. You can start at handgunlaw.us and drill down or follow links to the indiv state statutes you're interested in. It might be required up front, it might be required only if you're actually carrying, it might be required only if they ask. Up to you to know. There is no one-size fits all. It's not like trying to read the health-care bill; just a small amount of research and you'll be better for it.
    ;)

If you've got a firearm secured in the trunk in the normal manner while transporting it, I'm not aware of any state that requires you to divulge that up front.

6. dosei

dosei

The laws vary from state to state, like all state laws do...

7. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Know the laws for each state you are in. In Texas, we are required to notify. I do so.
    I prefer not to get stuck in a "gray area", so whenever carrying and I deal with LE, I let them know.

(As an example, I was involved in a fender bender. When the officer responded, I notified him. He said "Thanks for letting me know." and that was it.)

8. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

What state are you talking about?

9. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

No requirement to inform in NY. But if he asks me to step out of the car for any reason I will inform him.

10. WarCry

WarCry

Doing the research on things like requirements to retreat, etc, are one thing. To me, the notification is an easy solution...

Just tell 'em. If you're carrying legal what harm will befall you for giving them this information. Are you worried about the 'horror' stories where they disarm you for a few minutes why they process the stop? In my opinion, that's just a shade too far to the paranoid side of the line.

And for those who have, in other threads, expressed concerns about some officers' firearms handling skills (or lack thereof), why not clear the weapon? that's what you would do if you were handing it to a friend, right?

11. glocked-up

glocked-up

I will check that site out

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I would not recommend making a unilateral decision to do that.

13. glocked-up

glocked-up

14. glocked-up

glocked-up

Oklahoma
    I know Oklahoma is a must inform state. But have wondered under what circumstaces to inform. No doubt I would inform if pistol is in center console loaded or on my person or in the passenger seat under a sweater etc...but what about locations where the pistol is not easily available?

15. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Find out what the law requires. Personally, I would inform if pulled over, even if it was anywhere, in any condition in the vehicle. If it's a must inform state anyway, and you are carrying the gun legally, it's better to inform than have the officer discover it.

This is just my opinion. Again, find out the requirements for Oklahoma.

16. dbrook67

dbrook67

In Ohio it is linked to your drivers license so it would be a good idea to inform. My CCW class recommended informing with standard verbiage of:

Officer I have my Concealed Carry License and my weapon is ... what would you like me to do.

Even if the weapon is not on you - inform them of that as well.

I do not believe in giving more information to the police officer than necessary - but I do not want him to be surprised when he runs my license and wonder why I didn't mention it.

Doug

17. Unistat

Unistat

In Michigan we have to inform only when we are actually carrying. The police here know about your CPL when they run your plates, so I would go the extra step and notify even when I was not carrying that I have a CPL but no weapon on me. This extra step is academic for me since I am ALWAYS carrying in my car.

When I was rear ended, I notified the responding officer and he didn't even want to see my license, bit of a grey area there, since he didn't stop me for a traffic violation. He did say he appreciated that I let him know.

When I had to restrain a violent person at church (I am in the security group), I offered, but the responding officer didn't want to see my CPL.

My rule of thumb is, if I am talking to a cop and he is doing his job in some way, I am going to let him know I am carrying, even if I don't have to. This applies when I travel to other states without "must inform" laws. I consider it safer and courteous.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  18. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Is Missouri a must inform state? I know I don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon in my vehicle but I don't know what I need to say if I get stopped.

19. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Different states, of course, will have different rules. I recommend always advising. That way you don't have to keep different rules in mind, and IMO it is just good common sense.
    That is pretty much the same thing I advise my clients.

20. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

IF you are in a state that the law requires you to inform an officer when approached for any official reason if you are carrying then you must inform. If you are not carrying you don't have to tell them anything. Only if you have a firearm in the vehicle that is loaded and ready to go or accessable to any occupants then you must inform. If you have one packed unloaded in the trunk or the back of the vehicle unaccessable to all occupants you have no legal duty to inform them about it.