close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A question about Cat Litter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bullman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

My little girl wanted a new kitty for her birthday earlier this year so we now have two cats.

Maybe I just didn't notice it before, or this new cat is better at producing that ammonia smell..... I mean like walking past an anhydrous tank bad. This got me thinking.

I have a lot more used cat litter now. I have heard of people using it on their property to keep the gophers and moles away but does it have any other uses. Some fertilizers are made of ammonium nitrates, would cat litter fall into this catagory and make a decent fertilizer? Could I just dispose of all our old cat litter on our garden site and have a rockin garden next year?

2. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

I would imagine it would depend on the litter. Some litters are synthetic, some have odorizers - hard to say what they'd do to garden soil. The synthetic ones might never break down...?

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Interesting question,especially about the gophers and moles.
    Moles are tearing up my back yard.

I have 10 cats, so have a lot of litter boxes in the house and shops. I've just been spreading the litter down the driveway where the next big rain washes it away. Be nice to find use for it, like driving away the moles.

4. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

My mom has a friend that plays monday night dominos with her that uses her used cat litter to keep moles and gophers out of his earthen pond dam.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The five litter boxes need changing. I'll spread them out over the mole runs and see what happens.

I've tried everything to get rid of the little ******** but nothing works.
    The cats are too fat and lazy to get them.:)

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I thought the cheap cat litter is just clay. After the do-it-yourself family cars oil changes, we use it to soak up any oil that dropped/spilled onto the driveway. Pour some of the cat litter onto the oil spot and grind litter with feet into finer particles. It'll wash away with the next rain.

7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I'm wondering if there is something that the manufacturers are leaving out of cat litter now to make it more "eco-friendly" or to not damage septic systems (some people flush used cat litter down the toilet - even the non-flushable type).

There is something you can add to the litter - it comes in a yellow can about the size of a large can of Red Bull. I think it is made by one of the major cat litter manufacturers but if you sprinkle it into the box and stir it in it will kill the ammonia smell.

BTW - here is something I am trying to clean the cat box - I bought a cheap plastic collander and a pickle bucket from Firehouse for $2. I put the collander in the bucket and dump the litter box into the collander. If the collander is the right type (needs to have a lot of holes near the bottom - I bought mine at Ingles) it will sift all of the urine clumps and feces out of the litter. I tried it last night and it works pretty well. Probably easier than digging all the crap out of the box.

I use this same type of setup to separate the media from my fired brass as well after cleaning it in the tumbler.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  8. SunGunner

SunGunner

Add baking soda to the litter to significantly cut down on the smell. We buy scented Publix brand litter and buy the large containers of baking soda, comes out a lot cheaper than the expensive brands and works much better on the scent.

9. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

We have 5 cats and 4 litter pans. Pans are in the basement. The pans get scooped twice a week and completely cleaned once a month. We add baking soda when we completely clean them out. We use the regular cat litter - no special clumping stuff or any of that chlorophyll junk. Not knocking it but, as long as the pans are cleaned, we have no odor problems.

Every year someone comes out with a new fangled device or litter to elliminate or mitigate "the duty" of cleaning the cat pan. It all adds to the cost of keeping and taking good care of your cat. So, unless you can train the cat to go in the toilet, or buy the latest greatest gadget or litter, you'll always need to deal with the kitty poop!

What it really all comes down to is the littler pan does not clean itself - even if you get an automatic one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Cat litter is made from processed shale. You don't want it in your driveway, garden or septic system! Best buried in the landfill.

We keep 2 covered litter boxes for 3 cats and use clumping litter. I scoop it daily, sprinkle a little fresh litter on top, and change it completely at 8-12 days. A heavy metal scoop is quick and efficient.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Duranimals-DuraScoop-Litter-Scoop-colors/dp/B001DCAAP4/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_20"]Amazon.com: Duranimals DuraScoop Cat Litter Scoop (colors may vary): Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411q-lCPG2L.@@AMEPARAM@@411q-lCPG2L[/ame]

A covered box is nice. We still use an old Booda box we got 16 years ago but this one with steps to help contain the litter looks smart.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cleanstep-Cat-Titanium/dp/B0002DH8L4"]Amazon.com: Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Titanium: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31-uTv9jrQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31-uTv9jrQL[/ame]

11. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Well, I guess I have learned what I wanted to know then.

12. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

It may not be the litter.

I noticed the same thing once, bought more expensive litter and the problem did not go away. We took our cat to the vet, he needed to go anyway for some shot or something. The vet (who is very good) immediately told us he had a urinary tract infection. We got prescribed a pill, but the vet's main idea was to get him drinking more water. We started changing his water more often (2-3 times a day) and for a couple weeks upped the wet food. He got better and now we still change the water a lot to keep him drinking more.

You should keep in mind it might be a problem with the pee, and not the litter!

13. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

You didn't learn:

"My name is Euell Gibbons. Did you know that cat litter is edible?"

:supergrin:

I agree with inthefrey. You can go broke buying fancy cat-care stuff and the cats don't really care.

I also have always wondered why cat and dog food bags and cans are always labeled as being yummy, delicious, tasty! Do they think the cats and dogs are reading that? :headscratch:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. TransAm-98

TransAm-98

We use the Blue Buffalo litter. Our cats have always been picky about their litter, and since we started using it we haven't found any new surprises around the house. It also does a good job of fighting off odors by itself, but if it starts to get ripe just mix some baking soda in with it.

15. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Using cat (or dog) feces for fertilizer is very NOT RECOMMENDED. If you use that for fertilizer and your kid plays in the garden, that's a great way to get toxoplasmosis and assorted nasty worms. Also, if you put baking soda in it to cut down on the smell, and then use it in your garden you will screw up the soil pH pretty quickly.

If you want fertilizer, get a rabbit.

16. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

This is the kinda stuff I wanted to know, thanks. but I am not going to get a rabbit:supergrin:

17. Schrag4

Schrag4

You should try "The World's Best Cat Litter" (that's what it's called). It's a bit pricey but it cuts down on the smell, it's easy to scoop, and it's safe to flush down the toilet.

I don't know anything about warding off rodents.

18. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

You have to use the used cat litter to ward off the rodents. Seems that the cat pee smell worries them about the presence of predators.

19. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Borrow someone's pit bull for a few nights. No more moles, gophers, etc.

20. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I read in the vet column in the paper a couple weeks ago that cat boxes should be scooped 4-5 times a DAY. :faint:

He said if you disagree than you should try only flushing your toilet once a day or so and see how it works for you. I think that sounds like a LOT of work, but it would certainly cut down on odor. :dunno: