close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A problem with my Dillon

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by saddleman, Mar 25, 2010.

1. saddleman

saddleman

I have a Dillon Square D in 9mm that I bought used. I have loaded a few hundred rounds and the last 40 or 50 have started to bulge at the bottom of the shell. When I put it in the case gauge, about 1/8 sticks up. My gen 2 G19 shoots them fine but it will eat anything, Melissa has a XD, a bit of a sissy when it comes to ugly ammo, it won't even think of shooting this stuff. At station 2, I gauge the shell and it is OK but when it seats the bullet is when the bulge comes. Anyone have this problem and maybe a cure for the BULGE?
    Thanks in advance

2. catwrench

catwrench

I had the same thing happen on the dillon 550B loading speer 147gn.GDHP 9mm .355 dia. bullet/unique powder/3.8gn.charge/oal 1.130/cci primer # 500. and i got the hour glass figure on bullet . they would case guage fine and they would fit in the chamber of my glock 9 x 19 fine.i posted on a different sight and the guys told me that some bullets have this problem,never had it happen with any of my other rounds i have loaded.so anyway test fire rounds at range worked fine,But I HAD VERY LITTLE HOUR GLASS FIGURE ! and they would case guage fine. just will not use speer 147 gn. bullets. mybe some of the other guys my have a better ansewer for you.

3. BHP9

BHP9

You need to get rid of the "Glock Bulge".

Roll sizing the brass (which is what I do) with a CasePro100.

Using the EGW/Lee undersize die, which means that you will need a single stage press because of the SDB proprietry thread size.

4. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

Make sure that your sizing die hasn't backed off a little and that it is properly adjusted. If it was making ammo properly before, chances are something has come loose.

5. D. Manley

D. Manley

Based on the highlighted portion of your post, I don't think you have a sizing issue but rather, one either in seating or crimp. If the sized case passes the case gauge and fails after seating the bullet, there's your answer. Check the flare on the case mouth and be sure you're able to seat the bullets straight. Double check the crimp and be sure you are within specs there. I don't think this is going to come into play but on the SDB, check and be sure the blue plastic spacer between the tool head and frame has not worn or compressed...this can allow a small amount of movement in the tool head as the ram exerts pressure when cases enter the dies.

6. coal

coal

Have you changed bullets? That's my first thought. Is this once fired brass? Check the brass having issues; is it all the same make? Also, be sure the ram is going though the complete range of movement. Check to be sure the shell plate and toolhead bolts are tight, and check all bolts/screws while you are at it.

Case check after stage 1 (resize) with the XD barrel. The case guage and barrel chamber can/will differ. I prefer Midway case guages because nothing fits in them that won't fit in any barrel I've owned.

I get varied bell in my 9mm depending on bullet make/type, as well as brass used. Regardless of the blah-blah-blah folks say about the SDB, Dillon dies and the (supposed) magical Lee FCD, I've run thousands and thousands though stock SDBs with no issues. I've run SDB 9mm reloads in Glock, Storm Lake, LWD and KKM barrels.

IMO:
    1) If you've changes bullets, change back or shoot 'em though the Glock.
    2) Check your bell, check your press (see above).
    3) That XD chamber is too tight; a "match" chamber is not needed in a defensive gun. I'd get a gun that feeds what my Glock and 1911 feeds.

Good luck. :thumbsup: