Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Sneet
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be first in line for a table at the Smashburger in the Southwest terminal at DEN. A four top opened up. There was a tall woman behind me, eyeing the same table. I asked if she would like to join me, and share the table. She looked at me skeptically from behind her mask. I told her she didn’t have to talk to me, we could just share the table. That made her smile. I could tell because her mask moved up.

We were seated, and safe from the Chinese Virus, because of our lower level, we removed our masks and introduced each other. Her name was Roseanne, and she was an elected school board official in her town. She was having a rough month. She’d been to a lot of funerals.

We talked about education, parents, and the importance of hearing the stories of our elders. She told me about finding a box of photos not seen for many years. Asking her Aunt about them, she started telling the stories behind the pictures. Rosanne had turned on her phone and was recording the whole thing. Brilliant!

We talked about education in the time of the virus. In her town, they went to a lot of trouble, jumped through a lot of hoops, but kept the kids in school. Except for the ones that didn’t want to, and they zoomed. But were able to keep things as normal as possible. You only hear how bad it is in the big cities, but the smaller towns seem to be doing ok.

We both remarked about how nice it was to actually meet a new person and have a conversation. Everyone in the airport, and on the flights, has their mask on, earphones in, and eyes on their phones. Nobody talks. It’s very quiet on the planes. I’m guilty of the same thing. Why not? There’s nobody to talk to.

She asked me what I did for a living, and when I told her, her eyes lit up, and she told me her husband is a pilot, and flew a few different types of light planes. She told me some stories of their flights. She said her husband would be so envious of what I flew. I gave her my card, and told her next time they came to Vegas, I’d give them a tour of the operation and put her husband in a 550.

She asked for my story, and I told her about my very first job at the FBO, cleaning the barf out of a Cessna 150. Fueling and washing planes to earn money for lessons, and driving the Lav Truck and loading bags at America West. I told her about 20 years in the Air Force and AF Reserves, 5 years of flying Grand Canyon tours and how that led to what I’m doing today, and the people that helped me along the way. I mentioned that it’s still possible, in America, to have a modest education, and still do what you want to do. If you’re willing to work for it.

She told me she was giving a speech in a few days, and asked if she could use that. Very nice of her to say. I told her she could. I asked if she had aspirations for higher office, and she said some people want her to run for State Legislature. I told her she should, that she has the chops for it. I hope she does. I told her about my friend, Annie, who’s shaking things up in Carson City as we speak.

We talked right up to flight time for both of our flights. I asked if she would allow a random stranger to pay for her cheeseburger. She smiled and said that was very kind. We shook hands and went our separate ways. In this crazy time we are in, it was a genuine pleasure to meet someone and have a conversation. A unique experience these days.

·
Mentally Frozen
27,733 Posts
Cool story Bro.

I thought it was going to lead somewhere else, but you kept your sense about it.

·
****** Viejo
29,383 Posts
I happened to be first in line for a table at the Smashburger in the Southwest terminal at DEN. A four top opened up. There was a tall woman behind me, eyeing the same table. I asked if she would like to join me, and share the table. She looked at me skeptically from behind her mask. I told her she didn’t have to talk to me, we could just share the table. That made her smile. I could tell because her mask moved up.

We were seated, and safe from the Chinese Virus, because of our lower level, we removed our masks and introduced each other. Her name was Roseanne, and she was an elected school board official in her town. She was having a rough month. She’d been to a lot of funerals.

We talked about education, parents, and the importance of hearing the stories of our elders. She told me about finding a box of photos not seen for many years. Asking her Aunt about them, she started telling the stories behind the pictures. Rosanne had turned on her phone and was recording the whole thing. Brilliant!

We talked about education in the time of the virus. In her town, they went to a lot of trouble, jumped through a lot of hoops, but kept the kids in school. Except for the ones that didn’t want to, and they zoomed. But were able to keep things as normal as possible. You only hear how bad it is in the big cities, but the smaller towns seem to be doing ok.

We both remarked about how nice it was to actually meet a new person and have a conversation. Everyone in the airport, and on the flights, has their mask on, earphones in, and eyes on their phones. Nobody talks. It’s very quiet on the planes. I’m guilty of the same thing. Why not? There’s nobody to talk to.

She asked me what I did for a living, and when I told her, her eyes lit up, and she told me her husband is a pilot, and flew a few different types of light planes. She told me some stories of their flights. She said her husband would be so envious of what I flew. I gave her my card, and told her next time they came to Vegas, I’d give them a tour of the operation and put her husband in a 550.

She asked for my story, and I told her about my very first job at the FBO, cleaning the barf out of a Cessna 150. Fueling and washing planes to earn money for lessons, and driving the Lav Truck and loading bags at America West. I told her about 20 years in the Air Force and AF Reserves, 5 years of flying Grand Canyon tours and how that led to what I’m doing today, and the people that helped me along the way. I mentioned that it’s still possible, in America, to have a modest education, and still do what you want to do. If you’re willing to work for it.

She told me she was giving a speech in a few days, and asked if she could use that. Very nice of her to say. I told her she could. I asked if she had aspirations for higher office, and she said some people want her to run for State Legislature. I told her she should, that she has the chops for it. I hope she does. I told her about my friend, Annie, who’s shaking things up in Carson City as we speak.

We talked right up to flight time for both of our flights. I asked if she would allow a random stranger to pay for her cheeseburger. She smiled and said that was very kind. We shook hands and went our separate ways. In this crazy time we are in, it was a genuine pleasure to meet someone and have a conversation. A unique experience these days.
Great feel good story, Tony. I'm glad you enjoyed that. tom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great story. The world needs more kindness and human interaction. I always try to make people smile. A compliment on performance, offering a seat, holding a door.... small gestures to brighten a day.

I think the internet and smart phones are making this more rare. Add the masks and it’s only getting worse. People need that human connection. You did good, sir.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
That is a lovely story of how you spent an enjoyable time before your flight, and made a new friend at the same time. 💖

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Great story!

Reminds me of two Airport stories.

Our VP of sales (before me) was at an airport bar,. He took up a conversation with a guy and they both exchanged cards. They were both having delayed flights.

A couple years later the VP's wife gets a call at home. It seems the guy he met remembered his name but lost his card. Long story short we landed a multi--million dollar contract for machining Mini Cooper rocker arms.

Same VP on a flight sat next to a guy who was returning from a meeting with Sears (long time ago). He was trying to sell his specialty hand tool company. Sears rejected him. Our VP struck a deal in flight and we bought the company.

You never know what will happen when you start a conversation with a stranger.

Again Tony, thanks for sharing!

·
Pinky Out
60,167 Posts
I was at the grocery store today and in the produce department I kept passing this chick with modern/hippie clothes, no makeup, a low cut shirt showing a beautiful complected chest that led to cleavage of what appeared to be soft natural bewbies.

We made eye contact a few times and got a smile once. We both were watching what each other was putting in our carts.
I was getting ready to offer to cook her dinner or some sort of opening but then I noticed her twitching her mouth.
The more I looked the more it reminded me of someone who has done a lot of speed and got the tick.

I aborted the mission and moved on to the meat section.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Was there two weeks ago between flights.
Was hungry and wanted to try Smashburger, but there was a line so I said F it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I was at the grocery store today and in the produce department I kept passing this chick with modern/hippie clothes, no makeup, a low cut shirt showing a beautiful complected chest that led to cleavage of what appeared to be soft natural bewbies.

We made eye contact a few times and got a smile once. We both were watching what each other was putting in our carts.
I was getting ready to offer to cook her dinner or some sort of opening but then I noticed her twitching her mouth.
The more I looked the more it reminded me of someone who has done a lot of speed and got the tick.

I aborted the mission and moved on to the meat section.
See: You ARE maturing!! 😏

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

Wow a, and I thought his was to be a Penthouse story :) :)

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
[QUOTE="G19Tony, post: 30392674, member: 43747"
I told her about 20 years in the Air Force and AF Reserves, 5 years of flying Grand Canyon tours and how that led to what I’m doing today, and the people that helped me along the way. I mentioned that it’s still possible, in America, to have a modest education, and still do what you want to do. If you’re willing to work for it.
[/QUOTE]
Nice meeting.

As to what you flew, maybe you've mentioned it before but I've never heard what that is. So, hopefully you won't mind relating what you did fly in the USAF. Thanks, Don

1 - 20 of 46 Posts