close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A partial answer to an old queston (OK)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by blackjack, Mar 27, 2010.

1. blackjack

blackjack

Will my carry permit get me out of a ticket?

Last night, I was returning from Oklahoma City to the Tulsa area via the Turner Turnpike/I-44. At the exit before my exit I noticed the Oklahoma Highway Patrol conducting random vehicle checks on exiting vehicles. I had heard on my scanner there was some sort of enforcement action going on that evening as I departed towards OKC but thought nothing of it as I thought it was speed-related.

I arrived at my exit, went thru the PikePass lane and turned down the ramp toward the highway to the house. Making the turn, I saw they had a simlar random check operation so I got out the license, permit, vehicle registration, and insurance while waiting in line. I pointed out the permit and said I was carrying as required by OK law. The trooper asked where it was, I responded with "on my hip", he handed my papers back to me and wished me a good evening. The cars ahead of me had at least been slowed for a full review of their papers but as soon as we discussed the permit and firearm, I was on my way.

It was an interesting exchange and, of course, I wasn't being stopped for speed so that was why I noted this was a partial answer in a unique situation.