A newbie Hunter questions...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Gatman, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gatman

Gatman

A friend of mine is a big hunter and says I would really like hunting a lot. I am from the city as opposed to the country. I am looking to start hunting. I think we are going to hunt deer using a bow. I wanted to get some advice on where to get a good bow, camoflauge (spelling?), arrows, and other hunting equipment. I have never hunted before but would like to start. We will be hunting primarily in IL and WI.

2. vafish

vafish

Bow hunting.

Practice a lot. Then practice some more. Then practice shooting from a tree stand. I gave up bow hunting about 10 years ago because I wasn't practicing regularily and I missed a couple deer. I figured if I wasn't going to practice I didn't deserve to bow hunt.

If your buddy is a big bow hunter he should know the local places to get a bow and arrows. Bow set up is very important. You may pay more at a small local shop than you will at a big mass retailer, but they will set you up right.

Other than the Bow and arrows, a decent knife, and a good tree stand are must have items in my book. Lots of other stuff you can buy, some works some doesn't.

As far as camo, staying still is more important than what camo you wear. Just about any commercial camo or military BDU's will break up your outline. Just make sure you buy it for your weather conditions. You can't sit still if you aren't comfortable.

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

patience, planning, and preparedness

4. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

I found that hunting squirrels with a .22 is a good way to get ready for deer season. Preseason scouting for deer with a camera also helps me slow down in the woods. There's no substitute for just spending some time in the woods and learning from those around you. Half the battle is learning how to stay still long enough to see the game.
    Jim