Glock Talk banner

A New General Thread

1302 Views 30 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  California Jack
There hasn't been any new topics in a while so I'm bored.

So how are everybody's programs going?

I'm still doing bodyweight-only exercises, mainly from Furey's Combat Conditioning book. I'm happy with the results so far. I can do A LOT more pushups, handstand pushups, squats, and pullups now than 6 weeks ago. Arms and legs have actually grown a little too!

I started doing a little crossfit stuff (mainly just adding in some track work and more pullups), but I'm discouraged by the amount of equipment I'd have to buy to really get going with it. I guess if I was psyched enough, I'd shell out the cash, so apparently I'm not that psyched. When/if I start to plateau, maybe that'll give me some motivation to look into it more.

My wife is pregnant with our 2nd, which was a huge pleasant and terrifying surprise. That's wrecked our very precise diet for about the last month, but I can't see a change in the scales or bodyfat percentage.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Here is a link for L-Flyes......... http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/lflye.html

They are a shoulder pre/rehab exercise. They help a lot of people with shoulder pain from benching.

Can't help but give a little unsolicited advice. I think if at all possible, you'll be better off doing your presses standing. It will help with core strength. Train your body to work together and standing is more functional for everyday living. For example, how many times do you sit down before trying to lift a heavy object to put up on a shelf overhead?

A little more unsolicited advice: if you still want to bench, you could try close grip bench press(more load to triceps though) or Incline bench press. Some people that get shoulder pain from benching have success with these.

Good luck, keep us posted on your successes,
Jack

· Glock 35
1,053 Posts
Brad: Furey doesn't have pullups in the Combat Conditioning book because he was trying to sell it as exercises without any equipment. He does endorse pullups/chinups in their various forms.

I don't have a chinning bar at home, so handstand pushups work quite well.

And congrats on kiddo numero dos being en route.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Originally posted by Matt19
Brad: Furey doesn't have pullups in the Combat Conditioning book because he was trying to sell it as exercises without any equipment. He does endorse pullups/chinups in their various forms.

I don't have a chinning bar at home, so handstand pushups work quite well.

And congrats on kiddo numero dos being en route.
I can appreciate the idea of not needing any equipment. I do, however, get sore in very different places from pullups and handstand pushups. I bought a power tower for $99 from play it again sports a few weeks ago and have been doing a lot of pullups too--dips also.

As for numero dos -- thanks dude. It's both exciting and scary because I'm in school.

DBD

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by California Jack
Does Furey actualkly suggest that handstand pushups are an alternate to chins?:shocked:
Sorta kinda.

Nowhere in the book is a single pulling movement. Near the back of the book, there's a FAQ section. One of the question is:

19. I noticed that you don't have any pulling type movements in your program. Do you not think they are important?
Pulling movements are important, but you're going to find something to surprise most people. I want you to work on the handstand pushups until you can pop off 15 of them without any trouble. When you can do that, go test yourself on pull-ups and let me know how well you do. I think you're going to be amazed.
Well, I still like the book in general, but I tried this and it didn't work out that way for me. I could do probably more like 12 handstand pushups. I added pullups to the routine, I couldn't do any more than I ever can when starting them up after being off a while. I did 5-6 sets of as many as I could do, with various grips. I think I started out around 6-8 and ended up around 2-3, LOL. My lats and biceps were so sore the next couple of days that I could hardly move them, indicating that they were totally out of shape after about 6 weeks of Combat Conditioning. I really don't know where he got that idea because he's talking about a pushing movement and a pulling movement. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't feel any interaction between the two.

There are a few other things like that in the book that just don't make any sense. I still think it's a reasonable introduction to bodyweight exercises and in general, could help to keep a person in shape over the long haul. It is not technically precise and complete, however.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
I've been thining about this a little. If Furey wanted a program that needed no equipment, I wonder if he meant to say dips instead of pullups. It would be a lot more believable if he said handstand press would help out on dips. I just can't see how they'd do anything for chins.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Originally posted by California Jack
I believe you Brad, I'm sure you typed it right. I'm just so flabergasted by the statement I was trying to find an explanation

I guess the real explanation is so he could sell books and try to cover some glaring holes.

Jack
I agree and I think it was a pretty bad mistake to let the holy grail of "no equipment" cause this issue. It's never good to leave a glaring hole because we naturally wonder about the rest of the book. I wonder if Cosgrove's DVD is better. I might pick that up at some point.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Brooks Kubik has a body weight course out now too. The only thing I know about it though, is that it is EXPENSIVE. Or, at least, it use to be, I haven't checked recently. I do know that Brooks covers pulling though.

never good to leave a glaring hole because we naturally wonder about the rest of the book.
That was my thought. I guess you seperate the useless from the useful info in a book like that with common sense.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.