Glock Talk banner

A New General Thread

1302 Views 30 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  California Jack
There hasn't been any new topics in a while so I'm bored.

So how are everybody's programs going?

I'm still doing bodyweight-only exercises, mainly from Furey's Combat Conditioning book. I'm happy with the results so far. I can do A LOT more pushups, handstand pushups, squats, and pullups now than 6 weeks ago. Arms and legs have actually grown a little too!

I started doing a little crossfit stuff (mainly just adding in some track work and more pullups), but I'm discouraged by the amount of equipment I'd have to buy to really get going with it. I guess if I was psyched enough, I'd shell out the cash, so apparently I'm not that psyched. When/if I start to plateau, maybe that'll give me some motivation to look into it more.

My wife is pregnant with our 2nd, which was a huge pleasant and terrifying surprise. That's wrecked our very precise diet for about the last month, but I can't see a change in the scales or bodyfat percentage.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much.

Are you gearing up for a competition? Maybe we could catch you on one of the many ESPN channels.

"Now attempting a clean and jerk of 200kg is California Jack."

There really needs to be more weightlifting (note the correct usage of "no space") on TV.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jack, you ever try handstand pushups? I swear my delts and triceps seem to be mauled much worse from them than from overhead press, behind the neck press, etc. Maybe I just enjoy them more so go at it harder. Also, I don't go down as far (top of my head limits me currently), so maybe that has something to do with it. Currently, I do 5 sets of between 8 and 10. I can't do them unsupported yet, so I do them with my back to the wall, feet touching the wall for balance. Anyway--just a wild idea.

Waaaay back when, I remember a 50-some year old guy who was tremendously strong in some of the drug-free powerlifting contests I attended. I forgot his name, but I'm pretty sure that he squatted and deadlifted over 600 and benched somewhere around 400. I think he was in the 220 class. All these are in Christian units (lbs) not Pagan units or monkeymeters (kg) so I can understand them. Are they making you guys do bridges in SI units nowadays? So far, we've avoided them. Last I heard, AISC had a warehouse full of blaze orange SI Units Steel Manuals. LOL. Random thought mode off.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Rob96
I am down 33 pounds, 12% fat, and 13+". I have actually took a turn in my training. For a year I was doing a lot of strength training. Summer came and the weather has been great, and friends of mine have turned me on to triathlom training. Next July I intend to compete in my first triathlon. My bike and run has been pretty good, but I have to get in the pool.
Wow. Impressive.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Timothy658
DBradD, what type of bodyweight stuff do you do? Is it all high rep stuff? What do you have to say about the book you mentioned? ...
I'm fairly new to the bodyweight-only world (former intermediate level competitive powerlifter), so I'm not claiming that I have it all together. I started with Furey's book, read about what the CrossFitters do, and have been morphing the workout at my whim, LOL.

I will probably move toward CrossFit as time goes on. They really seem to have a great program. I haven't made the leap because I find their system to be a bit complicated and confusing, so I'm still reading about it at a leisurely pace. Also, a fair amount of relatively obscure equipment is required and would probably cost at least $500 to get completely set up.

I mix these up throughout the week in "pushing, pulling, torso, legs, etc workouts)
hindu pushups (3x about 20)
handstand pushups (5x about 10-12)
dips (last time was 20x4,18,15,12,9) a working in itself
hindu squats (last night I did 500) another workout in itself
chinups (8 sets, various hand grips)
back bridges
reverse pushups (think back bridge without head on the ground, very difficult)
hanging leg raises
no-momentum situps

Anyway, good, bad, or indifferent, that's where I am at the moment. I'm happy because I can do a lot more reps of all those exercises and I feel good in general. For what it's worth, I also took measurements yesterday and I've gained 5/16" on my arms in a couple of months, all other measurements unchanged. I don't think I ever did that in the gym. I'm happy at the moment.

I will start to add weights on dips at some point. I'm also thinking of ways of making some execises harder to cut down the reps. Examples would be going to one-legged squats and doing handstand pushups with my hands on some kind of plates or boxes so I can go down lower. I think it would be good to mix up the reps, maybe cycle them.

As for Furey's book, I think it's a good place to start. Furey is a hotdog for sure and I doubt that the system is the best. What it DID do for me was start to clue me in on the idea of doing functional exercises instead of isolation exercises. He has some recommended workouts in the back that look an awful lot like some of the CrossFit workouts. I think one could use Furey's stuff forever and stay in great shape. He doesn't recommend any pullups, which I find to be VERY strange, so I added them myself.

As for the other parts of your e-mail, I agree with what Jack typed. In the long run, it really depends on what goals you settle upon. If you want to look like a bodybuilder, train like one. If you want to be extremely strong, learn to train like a powerlifter. If you want to be explosively powerful, train like an olympic style weightlifter. What am I training like? Don't know yet, LOL. My current idea of good functional fitness, I guess would be the best description.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Originally posted by Matt19
Brad: Furey doesn't have pullups in the Combat Conditioning book because he was trying to sell it as exercises without any equipment. He does endorse pullups/chinups in their various forms.

I don't have a chinning bar at home, so handstand pushups work quite well.

And congrats on kiddo numero dos being en route.
I can appreciate the idea of not needing any equipment. I do, however, get sore in very different places from pullups and handstand pushups. I bought a power tower for $99 from play it again sports a few weeks ago and have been doing a lot of pullups too--dips also.

As for numero dos -- thanks dude. It's both exciting and scary because I'm in school.

DBD

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by California Jack
Does Furey actualkly suggest that handstand pushups are an alternate to chins?:shocked:
Sorta kinda.

Nowhere in the book is a single pulling movement. Near the back of the book, there's a FAQ section. One of the question is:

19. I noticed that you don't have any pulling type movements in your program. Do you not think they are important?
Pulling movements are important, but you're going to find something to surprise most people. I want you to work on the handstand pushups until you can pop off 15 of them without any trouble. When you can do that, go test yourself on pull-ups and let me know how well you do. I think you're going to be amazed.
Well, I still like the book in general, but I tried this and it didn't work out that way for me. I could do probably more like 12 handstand pushups. I added pullups to the routine, I couldn't do any more than I ever can when starting them up after being off a while. I did 5-6 sets of as many as I could do, with various grips. I think I started out around 6-8 and ended up around 2-3, LOL. My lats and biceps were so sore the next couple of days that I could hardly move them, indicating that they were totally out of shape after about 6 weeks of Combat Conditioning. I really don't know where he got that idea because he's talking about a pushing movement and a pulling movement. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't feel any interaction between the two.

There are a few other things like that in the book that just don't make any sense. I still think it's a reasonable introduction to bodyweight exercises and in general, could help to keep a person in shape over the long haul. It is not technically precise and complete, however.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Originally posted by California Jack
I believe you Brad, I'm sure you typed it right. I'm just so flabergasted by the statement I was trying to find an explanation

I guess the real explanation is so he could sell books and try to cover some glaring holes.

Jack
I agree and I think it was a pretty bad mistake to let the holy grail of "no equipment" cause this issue. It's never good to leave a glaring hole because we naturally wonder about the rest of the book. I wonder if Cosgrove's DVD is better. I might pick that up at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.