Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Brad,

First, congratulations!

Second, I just had my second week off in the last month or so. So I'm starting a new cylce geared toward improving my snatch and clean and jerk. Lots of singles of the quick lifts along with pressing and front squats. I may also add a DL day, not that I need it to OL, but because I've never reached any of my DL goals.

Thirdly, I have gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the year so I'm going to eat cleaner and up my cardio.

But all in all, all is well,
Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Brad,

No comp for a while. I'm still learning and having a terrible time with the snatch. Clean and jerk is OK I just need to get stronger. Oh, and I'm no whre near 400kg.:)

You're definetly right about TV coverage.

weightlifting (note the correct usage of "no space") on TV.
LOL!:beer:

Oh yeah, to my current program I will also be doing Behind the Neck Push Presses and Behind the neck Jerks. Lots of sets, low reps. You know, all the Bodybuilding stuff I do:) :supergrin: :freak: No, seriously, my jerk is what holds my C&J back. I can clean way more than I can jerk.

Maybe we could catch you on one of the many ESPN channels.
Maybe, If they ever televise contests with weak old men.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
DBD,

No, I have never really tried hand stand pushups. Maybe I'll give them a shot. I've recently had some success doung near limit DB presses as an assitance though.

As far as SI goes, well, back in the '90s sometime DOTs were given a deadline from Congress to convert to SI. It just so happened that the mandate came at the time we were switching over to LRFD ( we were one of the first states to do so) so or boss thought we may as well go LRFD and SI at the same time. Anyhow, I was about to start my first SI/LRFD design when I got promoted to management. I never have done LRFD or SI design.

About the time of the SI deadline, Congress repealed the mandate. Most states had never converted. We tried to stay SI, but our AGC (co0ntractor group) convinced our state politicians that somehow SI projects cost 10% more than English projects. Our state legislature than pressured our agency head to go back to English. We went full circle when most states never converted.

Your right,of course, about the system making no sense. Foundation pressures in tons/sq-ft make puch more sense than Pascals.

Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Timothy,

Sorry, not DBD, so please excuse me. Could you tell us what your goals are? Age? Health? Previous injuries?

Part of why I'd like to know is; why do you train "chest"? If your goals require direct chest work, that is one thing, but there is a school of thought that says the body is one piece. It is not a collection of individual parts. So therefore, train the body as one piece not parts.

Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with solely dumbell work.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
A lot of people develop shoulder problems from Bench Press. I think there are exercises you can do to pre/rehab them. L-flyes are one of them. Others here can probably point you in the right direction, I can't, I don't Bench.

Some people that don't have specific goal like Powerlifting or Bodybuilding, that get shoulder pain from benching, do weighted dips instead. You already do dips, right? Just start adding weight. Weighted dips will work the same muscle groups effectively. One more benefit for weighted dips over benching, they don't require spotters.

This may be controversial here, but I think that unless you are a PLer of BBer, benching should be at most an accessory exercise.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Timothy,

I just realized I mis-read your initial post. You are already doing weighted dips, right? I think between weighted dips and Standing Overhead Press, you'll be getting plenty of pressing work to your shoulder girdle. No need to bench with bar or d-bells.

Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Here is a link for L-Flyes......... http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/lflye.html

They are a shoulder pre/rehab exercise. They help a lot of people with shoulder pain from benching.

Can't help but give a little unsolicited advice. I think if at all possible, you'll be better off doing your presses standing. It will help with core strength. Train your body to work together and standing is more functional for everyday living. For example, how many times do you sit down before trying to lift a heavy object to put up on a shelf overhead?

A little more unsolicited advice: if you still want to bench, you could try close grip bench press(more load to triceps though) or Incline bench press. Some people that get shoulder pain from benching have success with these.

Good luck, keep us posted on your successes,
Jack

· Registered
5,196 Posts
I've been thining about this a little. If Furey wanted a program that needed no equipment, I wonder if he meant to say dips instead of pullups. It would be a lot more believable if he said handstand press would help out on dips. I just can't see how they'd do anything for chins.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Brooks Kubik has a body weight course out now too. The only thing I know about it though, is that it is EXPENSIVE. Or, at least, it use to be, I haven't checked recently. I do know that Brooks covers pulling though.

never good to leave a glaring hole because we naturally wonder about the rest of the book.
That was my thought. I guess you seperate the useless from the useful info in a book like that with common sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.