close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A New General Thread

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DBradD

DBradD

There hasn't been any new topics in a while so I'm bored.

So how are everybody's programs going?

I'm still doing bodyweight-only exercises, mainly from Furey's Combat Conditioning book. I'm happy with the results so far. I can do A LOT more pushups, handstand pushups, squats, and pullups now than 6 weeks ago. Arms and legs have actually grown a little too!

I started doing a little crossfit stuff (mainly just adding in some track work and more pullups), but I'm discouraged by the amount of equipment I'd have to buy to really get going with it. I guess if I was psyched enough, I'd shell out the cash, so apparently I'm not that psyched. When/if I start to plateau, maybe that'll give me some motivation to look into it more.

My wife is pregnant with our 2nd, which was a huge pleasant and terrifying surprise. That's wrecked our very precise diet for about the last month, but I can't see a change in the scales or bodyfat percentage.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Brad,

First, congratulations!

Second, I just had my second week off in the last month or so. So I'm starting a new cylce geared toward improving my snatch and clean and jerk. Lots of singles of the quick lifts along with pressing and front squats. I may also add a DL day, not that I need it to OL, but because I've never reached any of my DL goals.

Thirdly, I have gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the year so I'm going to eat cleaner and up my cardio.

But all in all, all is well,
    Jack

3. DBradD

DBradD

Thank you very much.

Are you gearing up for a competition? Maybe we could catch you on one of the many ESPN channels.

"Now attempting a clean and jerk of 200kg is California Jack."

There really needs to be more weightlifting (note the correct usage of "no space") on TV.

4. California Jack

Brad,

No comp for a while. I'm still learning and having a terrible time with the snatch. Clean and jerk is OK I just need to get stronger. Oh, and I'm no whre near 400kg.:)

You're definetly right about TV coverage.

LOL!:beer:

Oh yeah, to my current program I will also be doing Behind the Neck Push Presses and Behind the neck Jerks. Lots of sets, low reps. You know, all the Bodybuilding stuff I do:) :supergrin: :freak: No, seriously, my jerk is what holds my C&J back. I can clean way more than I can jerk.

Maybe, If they ever televise contests with weak old men.

5. DBradD

DBradD

Hey Jack, you ever try handstand pushups? I swear my delts and triceps seem to be mauled much worse from them than from overhead press, behind the neck press, etc. Maybe I just enjoy them more so go at it harder. Also, I don't go down as far (top of my head limits me currently), so maybe that has something to do with it. Currently, I do 5 sets of between 8 and 10. I can't do them unsupported yet, so I do them with my back to the wall, feet touching the wall for balance. Anyway--just a wild idea.

Waaaay back when, I remember a 50-some year old guy who was tremendously strong in some of the drug-free powerlifting contests I attended. I forgot his name, but I'm pretty sure that he squatted and deadlifted over 600 and benched somewhere around 400. I think he was in the 220 class. All these are in Christian units (lbs) not Pagan units or monkeymeters (kg) so I can understand them. Are they making you guys do bridges in SI units nowadays? So far, we've avoided them. Last I heard, AISC had a warehouse full of blaze orange SI Units Steel Manuals. LOL. Random thought mode off.

6. California Jack

DBD,

No, I have never really tried hand stand pushups. Maybe I'll give them a shot. I've recently had some success doung near limit DB presses as an assitance though.

As far as SI goes, well, back in the '90s sometime DOTs were given a deadline from Congress to convert to SI. It just so happened that the mandate came at the time we were switching over to LRFD ( we were one of the first states to do so) so or boss thought we may as well go LRFD and SI at the same time. Anyhow, I was about to start my first SI/LRFD design when I got promoted to management. I never have done LRFD or SI design.

About the time of the SI deadline, Congress repealed the mandate. Most states had never converted. We tried to stay SI, but our AGC (co0ntractor group) convinced our state politicians that somehow SI projects cost 10% more than English projects. Our state legislature than pressured our agency head to go back to English. We went full circle when most states never converted.

Your right,of course, about the system making no sense. Foundation pressures in tons/sq-ft make puch more sense than Pascals.

Jack

7. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I am down 33 pounds, 12% fat, and 13+". I have actually took a turn in my training. For a year I was doing a lot of strength training. Summer came and the weather has been great, and friends of mine have turned me on to triathlom training. Next July I intend to compete in my first triathlon. My bike and run has been pretty good, but I have to get in the pool.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Wow. Impressive.

9. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I will be impressed when I get to the level to finish it. The hardest thing for me is going to be the swim. What was really impressive with this training has been my blood work numbers. Man, did the bad numbers plummet and the good numbers come up. I have a 5k in August, 10k in October and an 8.8 mile trail run in November. After that, I will really get to work on the swim. Can you get the idea I am not a swimmer.:supergrin:

10. DBradD

DBradD

I swim about like a rock, so I can feel your pain.

11. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

You got it, the rock stroke. But my wife keeps saying to me, "Look when you started you had a hard time with running 1 mile, now you are running close to 4 miles". Gotta love the li'l lady for her support.

12. California Jack

Good job Rob! What is your training? How about some details!

13. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Nothing really set. I have been alternating running and biking days. Every two days I usually take a day off. Usually on Friday or Saturday I will do a double, where we bike first, put our bikes in our vehicles then run. I have only been at this since this May. Have my run up to about 4 miles and bike only days I do about 16 miles. On bike/run days it is 12 mile ride and 3 mile run. Once I get past my 10k in October I will throw swimming into the mix. Also have to come up with a way to get in at least 2-3 days on the weight machines. It is all about endurance. My one friend that I train with, her husband just did the Lake Placid Ironman this past Sunday. It was his third time. I will be happy to do a sprint triathlon.:cool:

14. Timothy658

Timothy658

DBradD, what type of bodyweight stuff do you do? Is it all high rep stuff? What do you have to say about the book you mentioned?

I have been weight training for 10 months, and a while back I added some body weight stuff....dips, pullups, chinups, but I have to add weight now to bring the reps down.

Also, does anyone here use solely dumbbells for chest instead of a bar? My shoulder has started to give me some pain, so instead of a barbell today for chest, I used dumbbells, and I didnt get any of the pain that I had been getting the past week with the barbell.

15. California Jack

Timothy,

Sorry, not DBD, so please excuse me. Could you tell us what your goals are? Age? Health? Previous injuries?

Part of why I'd like to know is; why do you train "chest"? If your goals require direct chest work, that is one thing, but there is a school of thought that says the body is one piece. It is not a collection of individual parts. So therefore, train the body as one piece not parts.

Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with solely dumbell work.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jack

16. Timothy658

Timothy658

My age is 27, and I have no previous injuries. Not really sure what my goals are I suppose, just to keep progressing. 10 months ago, a friend of mine bought his own bench so he could work out at home instead of going to the gym all the time. He invited me over one night, and I wasnt all that interested, but I went anyway, and I have been working out since then. First thing I did was flat barbell bench, and that has been part of our routine since then. Not really trying to specifically target the chest, but the shoulders, chest, and triceps with the bench press. I am guessing that today I didnt feel that should pain during my sets, was because with the dumbbells there was less overall weight on my shoulders as compared with the bar. So, I am planning on using dumbbells until my shoulders are completely better.

17. California Jack

A lot of people develop shoulder problems from Bench Press. I think there are exercises you can do to pre/rehab them. L-flyes are one of them. Others here can probably point you in the right direction, I can't, I don't Bench.

Some people that don't have specific goal like Powerlifting or Bodybuilding, that get shoulder pain from benching, do weighted dips instead. You already do dips, right? Just start adding weight. Weighted dips will work the same muscle groups effectively. One more benefit for weighted dips over benching, they don't require spotters.

This may be controversial here, but I think that unless you are a PLer of BBer, benching should be at most an accessory exercise.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Jack

18. California Jack

Timothy,

I just realized I mis-read your initial post. You are already doing weighted dips, right? I think between weighted dips and Standing Overhead Press, you'll be getting plenty of pressing work to your shoulder girdle. No need to bench with bar or d-bells.

Jack

19. Timothy658

Timothy658

Yep, I do weighted dips. I dont do standing overhead press, but I do the sitted version with dumbbells, and have been since almost the begining. Could you explain L-flys to me? I recently added flys to my routine....the type where you are laying on the bench, and with a slight bend at your elbows, bring your arms down to your sides and bring them back up to the top. Thanks for the help Jack.

20. DBradD

DBradD

I'm fairly new to the bodyweight-only world (former intermediate level competitive powerlifter), so I'm not claiming that I have it all together. I started with Furey's book, read about what the CrossFitters do, and have been morphing the workout at my whim, LOL.

I will probably move toward CrossFit as time goes on. They really seem to have a great program. I haven't made the leap because I find their system to be a bit complicated and confusing, so I'm still reading about it at a leisurely pace. Also, a fair amount of relatively obscure equipment is required and would probably cost at least $500 to get completely set up.

I mix these up throughout the week in "pushing, pulling, torso, legs, etc workouts)
    hindu pushups (3x about 20)
    handstand pushups (5x about 10-12)
    dips (last time was 20x4,18,15,12,9) a working in itself
    hindu squats (last night I did 500) another workout in itself
    chinups (8 sets, various hand grips)
    back bridges
    reverse pushups (think back bridge without head on the ground, very difficult)
    hanging leg raises
    no-momentum situps

Anyway, good, bad, or indifferent, that's where I am at the moment. I'm happy because I can do a lot more reps of all those exercises and I feel good in general. For what it's worth, I also took measurements yesterday and I've gained 5/16" on my arms in a couple of months, all other measurements unchanged. I don't think I ever did that in the gym. I'm happy at the moment.

I will start to add weights on dips at some point. I'm also thinking of ways of making some execises harder to cut down the reps. Examples would be going to one-legged squats and doing handstand pushups with my hands on some kind of plates or boxes so I can go down lower. I think it would be good to mix up the reps, maybe cycle them.

As for Furey's book, I think it's a good place to start. Furey is a hotdog for sure and I doubt that the system is the best. What it DID do for me was start to clue me in on the idea of doing functional exercises instead of isolation exercises. He has some recommended workouts in the back that look an awful lot like some of the CrossFit workouts. I think one could use Furey's stuff forever and stay in great shape. He doesn't recommend any pullups, which I find to be VERY strange, so I added them myself.

As for the other parts of your e-mail, I agree with what Jack typed. In the long run, it really depends on what goals you settle upon. If you want to look like a bodybuilder, train like one. If you want to be extremely strong, learn to train like a powerlifter. If you want to be explosively powerful, train like an olympic style weightlifter. What am I training like? Don't know yet, LOL. My current idea of good functional fitness, I guess would be the best description.