close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Naked Glock!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Azra'il, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Azra'il

Azra'il

ANY one out there who got a Glock where the black finish is polished away, and where no further surface treatment(s) are done, only the naked tenifer appearence?

PLEASE post a picture, I want to know how close the naked tenifer is to ROBAR companies NP3 finish. I think it's in the same color spectrum!!

2. VN350X10

VN350X10

I don't have pictures, but I have glass beaded several Glock slides for folks who just didn't want the black oxide. But here's the catch, no two slides have been the exact same color. They range from a dull silver, almost like electroless nickel that hasen't been buffed, to a honey gold color that almost looks like a bronze alloy, with many shades in between those two extremes.
    When a customer wants the black removed, they have to sign a release form for the shop & gunsmith (ME!) releasing us from responsibility for color, as we don't know what it will look like until the slide is blasted.
    Throw it in the glass bead tank & take your chances...

good luck
    uncle albert

3. Azra'il

Azra'il

Thanks for your reply!

Since you are the expert I have some questions:
    1. Bead blast, and glass blast is it the same?
    2. Since the tenifer of GLOCK is only 3-10 microns, would'nt it blasting away the tenifer during blasting?
    3. How much does the blasting remove 1-2 microns?
    4. After blasting the black cosmetic surface off, one can just apply hardchrome without material failure onto the tenifer?
    5. Have you ever heard about microblasting?(using synthetic ruby, instead of glassbeads)

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

Glass blasting is just another name for bead blasting. The full name is Glass Bead Blasting, I just call it by it's common shorter name.
    2) The Tennifer is a VERY hard surface treatment, similar to nitriding, but uses cyanide in the process. You won't find it being done in the U.S.A., thank you E.P.A. ! Porsche uses it as a surface hardening treatment on it's crankshafts.
    3)I'm not sure how thick the black oxide is, but it is porus(sp) & does hold oil.
    4) Not sure, but I think that the Tennifer is so hard & slippery that hard chrome won't stick to it. Besides, Tennifer is harder than hard chrome & has less friction. It is a far superior surface to hard chrome.
    5) The only application of microblasting that I've encountered is in final finishing of dies, usually for stamping. Using diamond, ruby or saphire would remove the Tennifer, as all are harder & significantly more abrasive than glass beads.

uncle albert

5. Azra'il

Azra'il

Well!

That's funny, and very confusing, I've been told that people are hardchroming directly onto the tenifer without problems.
    If tenifer is a bad substitute for hardchrome, then what is it other companies do? Such as Tripp Reserach, and many others? They from what I understand apply the hardchrome directly onto tenifer!

Second, I've read that microblasting DO contain ruby, sapphire, but the process is actually the ONLY process compared to glass bead blast that would NOT remove ANY material!

Third, I've seen a GLOCK done in hardchrome where the hardchrome doesn't cover all the internals, and left some of the slide ejection port with bare tenifer(the golden,greyish titanium color). And it didn't rust at all on the spot where the hardchrome didn't cover, so that must EXPLAIN that the hardchrome is applied onto the tenifer!

With this problem, I hope other GLOCK owners who got their glock hardchromed join in the discussion and see if there is a durable issue on glock's with tenifer and hardchrome mixed, regarding chipping, and crack of the hardchrome, if some expirienced this, then the answer must be the tenifer making the problem beneath!

6. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

This is actually a lie mostly brought about by Glock itself. Tennifer is done in the US, so is Melonite. Mostly in the automotive industry for pistons in Toyota's. There are facilities that can and will dip firearms parts in these two but not equipped to take full firearms since they are not FFL. One company is Moore McMillen Industries. They can even do barrels.

7. USAret

USAret

OK Naked but the Tennifer is still intact and no problems with rust or anything else. Just an experiment on an old G22 of mine. I now call it my "nickel plated sissy Glock".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]

8. lee2

lee2

but uses cyanide in the process. You won't find it being done in the U.S.A., ...........

where did you get your information.
    theres a lot of plating shops in the US tha use cyanide.
    especially in the electronic circuit board shops.
    i know this for a fact.:upeyes:

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

I stand corrected about the cyanide. A call to a local circuit board mfgr. revealed that while they CAN use a cyanide proscess, they must recycle & proscess their own water used, as it cannot be released into the normal disposal channels. I was also informed that as a matter of legal technicality, as a plating type operation, the water that they buy from the local municipality CANNOT be released, as the EPA guidelines for their discharge water are more stringent than the guidelines that cover the water they are purchasing !

Cyanide was commonly used for gold refining, but has now been eliminated from that industry also. As far as there being Tennifer applied in this country on automotiver parts, further research on my part seems to be warrented. I will check into this, as I hate to post faulty information !

uncle albert

10. Azra'il

Azra'il

The picture was a big help!

A couple of questions:
    1. What did you do to make it look like that? Polish, or bead blasting?

2. Before the high-polish final touch, how did the mate-surface look like, was it like Hardchrome, or dull grey with darker spots, and stains?

11. swatemintx

swatemintx

love the pics. Good job

12. USAret

USAret

I started with polishing compound and my Dremel tool. Soon saw that the "Black" was gumming up the pads so I switched to 600 grit wet/dry. Then 800, then a medium polishing compound with Dremel tool. Then a finer polishing compound with Dremel, then final polish with my big motor/polishing wheel and jewelers rouge.

Next time I'm going to farm out the initial strip and polish to a bead/glass/sand blast shop (as soon as I find out what medium is best). Because it was just too much time invested in what started out as a simple job. BTW the Barrel is already pretty much polished to a 800 grit so I only used polishing compounds on the barrel.

It just got to looking more and more like a piece of stainless as the black came off. Some spots took more work than others, after all it is a piece of really hard carbon steel.

As to the Hard Chrome depends on what you define as hard chrome. As usually used on firearms it looks like that pretty much now. As on a car part i.e. chrome engine parts, bumper, etc... well that is just a matter of more and more polishing. I guess if you got the sides of the slide to "shave with" finish then it would become a BBQ Gun.

13. Azra'il

Azra'il

Well thank you for your input.

I don't think I have the courage to do a dremel work on mine. Some prectice first.

I was just wondering if blasting off the black could imitate the hardchrome used in firearms industry then it would be more better than a hardchrome onto the tenifer. So it was firearms hardchrome and not car industry like bumpers I meant.

Thank you.

14. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Similar process as USAret, except I used 400 then 1000 grit sandpaper w/ WD-40.
    [​IMG]

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

You're supposed to shoot it.......not polish it !!

Polishing is for bayonets !!!!!

:50cal:

uncle