close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A mouse named Brahms lives in my wife's car.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by filthy infidel, Jan 22, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

and he's decomposing. She mentioned a stench from the vents of her GX 470 last week. We went shopping and I recognized the dead mouse smell from the dash vents. I pulled the HVAC filter and it had a pile of mouse turds and some french fries and cereal from the kids' seats in the back.
    You might remember I'm and ex Benz wrench so I've chased these before. I pulled the wipers and cowling, no dead critter. pulled blower and blower housing, no critter. Pushed and pulled all vents with the shop vac, no critter.
    Inspected all vents with fiber optic borescope, no critter. Uggh.
    Pull dash, try not to crack any woodgrain. Wife pops in garage, is stunned to see the skeleton of her SUV. I tell her I should find Warehouse Mouse (you with kids know who) in the white box, she sniffs it, says "He's in there", and says she's making lunch for me.
    I wait until after lunch to find that I cannot find Warehouse Mouse. Some labyrinths in the HVAC case cannot be inspected with flaps intact, so I strategically drill 1/2" holes and inspect with borescope, NO FRIKIN MOUSE. So I have four days of tedious inspection and disassembly, with no rodent found. I reinspect the rest of the car, and find mouse turds around the childseats in the third row, but no proof of nesting or crispy corpse.
    Being that we've been down to one vehicle this whole week, I've decided to reassemble. I sprayed the snot out of the HVAC case with ZORB, filled the test ports, and reinstalled the dash. It should be back together tomorrow morning, and if need be I'll tear the rear HVAC apart.
    Again my wife was stunned to see her Lexus exploded about the garage, so whether or not I find the critter I've at least earned a month worth of payback upstairs, so at least it's not for naught. You mechanics know this- it's one thing to teardown a dash for HVAC repair while being paid, and it is quite another to do it for 'free'.

19066_1349668783970_1298855985_998744_6105316_n.jpg

2. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

He's probably under the seat.

With regard to your quid pro quo, is that regular activity or that special thing she reserves for your birthday?

:rofl:

3. napp32

napp32

lol. I had to chuckle at your wife's reaction to seeing the guts of her car scattered all over the garage.

I remember giving a quote to a customer for replacing an AC evaporator in a '70s something 450 SL. I thought he was going to need CPR. IIRC, the book labor was something like 22 hours.

4. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I 'lived' if it can be called that with a dead mouse in a wall of my office for about a month one time. Short of tearing the entire wall out there was no way to tell where it was.

Lots of candles and 'sick' days off.

5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

My dad had a dead snake in his GS300. He dropped it off and they found it and he filed an insurance claim. No muss, no fuss.

Greg

6. RenoF250

RenoF250

I had a mouse expire in the blower of my 1992 Accord. My fear of Hanta virus made me completely tear the car down to clean it. Totally disassembled the blower and let it sit in bleach water overnight. Took about 12 hours of labor plus the cost of the A/C discharge/charge.

Do you have a cat? Their nose might be able to help you find it if you can get them to cooperate. Dog might help also.

7. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Man OP, I sure do hope your wife is copacetic with upstairs time reimbursement or all that work will have been for naught.

8. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

At least it wasn't Marburg Virus. :supergrin:

9. vart

vart

Totally covered under comprehensive coverage and does not affect your rates...

Last one I saw was a 2007 VW Toureg that cost $12k to make right again.

10. filthy infidel

Well where were you last week??:wow:

It has 40K miles so we're on our extended warranty, they stated that they only cover mechanical failures so no go. I didnt' think to call our home insurance provider, I WILL look into this if the problem remains!
    Time to get back to the garage, I've been shooting all day and the car didn't put itself back together yet....:embarassed:

11. happy seal

happy seal

A couple moth ball stockings would have done the trick! A couple in the engine compartment and a couple under the kids seat. Mice hate moth balls!

12. filthy infidel

I never found a mouse inside the car. I literally dissected the HVAC case via fiber optic scope. I drilled access ports to areas that cannot be scoped otherwise. No mouse.
    Two days ago I reassembled the vehicle. I've driven it around locally and don't smell anything yet. It has been thoroughly cleaned.
    I purchased an ultrasonic rodent repeller for the garage, and today set two mousetraps baited with peanut butter.
    Two hours ago I removed a mouse from one trap and reset it.
    Ten minutes ago I removed a mouse from each trap (total of three now), and reset them.
    These things can eat a bag of c0(k$. I remember trapping a family of five in my first home. I kept that place cleaner than a preacher's conscience, finding mouse droppings on my countertop was the ultimate insult.
    :faint:

13. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Leave the dead mice in the traps for a few days.

14. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Hawk Mouse Bait Chunx.
    I buy mine at a local feed store in 1lb. blocks.
    This stuff will rid your house of mice in a matter of days.
    It's like mouse crack, they cannot get enough of it. I've had them climb over a peanut butter baited trap to chew through the Hawk bait bag.
    And for some reason when they die from it the smell only lasts a day or so.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  15. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Mouse is in the roof between the double panels.

Or could be under the carpet, or the kick panel.

or could be .............:cool:

16. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

why leave the dead mouse in the traps?

17. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

:puking:
    I had an 08 passat with a couple dead ones in it. They (the customer) filed a comprehensive claim, we replaced the carpet and pad, the CAF and we had a cleaning company come in and ****** all the fabrics. Came out mint.

On a side note, while I was ripping out the carpet and interior I found 3 baby mice. I took one of the hairless babies out and thought it was moving, so I put it out in the sun. It was full of maggots.
    :puking:
    My name for like 2 weeks was "Barfolamew"

18. brboyer

brboyer

Rat Crack :rofl:

Not always the case. The wife saw a RAT in the laundry room last week, I put this stuff out - put screw through hole in middle into the baseboard. First cube gone 30 minutes later. Put more out, next day that cube was gone, next day put two more out, they were gone that day, next day same thing. Finally no more activity on the latest cube. That was 5 days ago.

Came home yesterday, walked in back door...smelled like dead rat.....:puking:
    So this morning, I start sniffing around to find his resting place....finally found where I thought it was...behind the fireplace! How the heck am I going to get in there...

Fast forward to this afternoon when wifey gets home from work:whistling:
    Our bedroom was trashed. I had to move the dresser - full of clothes which are now piled on bed...a bunch of other crap piled in bathroom. I had to remove 4x8 section of wall - directly behind fireplace (fireplace is on a 45 degree angle in living room.

The nest (aka, final resting place) was in the dead space between back of fireplace and bedroom wall. The nest was huge! I got the tape measure out. 18" x 12" x 18" Insulation, leaves, feathers (WTF?), drywall pieces. Looks like he's been nesting there quite a while. He was 7" long with a 9" tail!

Found point of entry. A previously unknown to me fresh air intake to the fire place. I'm the original owner and have been here 25 years!!!

So now have a very nice looking plastic sheeting temporary wall till I can get to Lowe's in AM to get insulation, drywall, etc.

19. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I guess same reason they used to leave hanged criminals up until they rot. :dunno:

20. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I always enjoy the look on a customer's face when they see what I've done to their car. Pulling dashes is probably the best. I've a got a Duramax out of an '07 truck right now and there are parts everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, I chased a dead mouse in my wife's Civic a few years ago that just had to have been coming from the dash. Turns out a couple of them were nice enough to die under the spare tire in the trunk.