A Moment of Silence Please

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by triggerpresser, Apr 26, 2005.

1. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

We lost Jacksonville :( :( :( I have a hard time believing that could happen. There are a lot of great clubs that have hosted GSSF matches over the years, but JAX was one of the BEST. Whoever managed to loose this one <b><u>just plain screwed up</b></u>. Forget my post earlier about the folks taking over GSSF learning to fly the plane without crashing it. I knew this when I posted the earlier post, I just forgot it till I read another post. I hope GSSF figures out what they have done wrong before it all comes to pieces. There are a lot of folks who enjoy this and spend lots of money on a yearly basis to support the GSSF matches. I usually make 7 matches each year and have for 6-7 years now. I also figure each match cost me about $200-$250 each. I travel with four other guys so our expenses may be less than others. Anyway thats between $1400 & $1750 I spend each year to do this. That doesn't count my equipment <b>(GLOCK equipment)</b>, bullets, powder, primers... And like I said, I have done this for 6-7 years, thats a fairly large chunk of change. How about the rest of you? What do you spend? I know it's fun and there is a lot of freindships made and so on... <i>Will you</i> continue to spend your dollars if GSSF continues to loose good matches without replacing them? I hope GSSF will get their act together soon and right this listing ship before it is too late.
    I am sure that a lot of what is driving this is "business decisions", probably some accountant has gotten involved and doesn't have a clue about marketing and advertising. I've seen other busineses go by the wayside with the same thinking. I hope GSSF is not another.

2. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I've been a member for 4 years and average about 3-4 matches a year ( something I wanted to change this year by increasing my participation). I have held back comment because of my short tenure compared to others and also trying to focus on rehab for a hip replacement,but I have felt the pain that all have expressed and I have a great concern as well on where GSSF will be this time next year.I do not shoot other gun games and have signed up as a life time member and feel that I now have a vested interest in what happens; we have had alot of changes this year, and as we can see some results are not to our liking ( I was hoping to take a vacation in January or February and see Mickey and shoot a match down where all good shooters hang out).

A thousand mile round trip to a match probably costs me $175.00 to $250.00...this depends on a hotel and where one eats as well as ammo and equipment and expenses for fees to participate.The cost of practice and maintenance is probably another $1500.00 per annum...soo-oo lets say $2500.00 to $3000.00 for this hobby, which I feel is fairly conservative.

I guess the question is what am I going to do? Well, try to go to more matches and at the same time look for additional gun games that might accomodate my current lifestyle and desires.....I do see a potential market here though; if one divorces themself from the issue one can see a potential evolution to the positive.....possibly some shrewd investors might entertain this void that may be starting to exist and try to fill it and at the same time turn a realistic profit...I for one would be willing to financially participate. Food for thought? ;f

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Ya know, it's really funny how some people get upset and offended when things start affecting them personally.
    I've stated my displeasure with GSSF and some of it's people because of what was aimed at myself and a couple others through rules changes.
    Myself and others shot up to 12 and 13 matches a year from upstate NY to Ga. You don't want to even hear about $$$ spent. I'll show you my tax returns for the years I shot.
    Support to GSSF? How about the Master Stock class? Ever wonder where the idea came from? How about the GSSF Comm. pistols? Ever wonder where the idea came from? How about RO'ing at the NJ match, besides shooting it?
    It seems that some at GSSF do not care who supports them or how.

Yea, when things start affecting people they get all upset. Unfortunately, it isn't until it affects THEM that they notice the truth.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

TJ,

You are right again. Glad to see you posting here. I expect a lot more changes in GSSF this year.

You gave a lot to the sport we call GSSF. Most of your records still stand.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Triggerpresser; you are exactly correct. I have been going to 10 to 12 matches every year for the last 5 years and have met many new friends and enjoyed the friendly competition. Based on the confirmed sites so far for this season I will be lucky to make 5 for the year. This is looking like a real first class slap in the face for being supportive. If my performance in the Air Force over my 30 years career and running my own business for 10 years after that was like this I would have been run out of town.

I would really like to keep possitive thoughts but there are too many negative things happening and too much secrecy. I to am a life member just like many other good folks and don't feel we are really wanted any more. ~sd ~sd ~sd

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Tom, everybody didn't ignore the facts of what happened.

I fear what has happened is merely the tip of the iceberg. I easily spend as much as triggerpresser or festus on this entertainment. We've been encouraged to do that. Personally I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Until Orlando is confirmed or cancelled we won't even know if we have one match in Florida. When I called and asked my Orlando contact what they were going to do he didn't even know anything was up. This was two weeks ago. That's scary. As much as I enjoy GSSF I've always had that funny feeling in the back of my head that one day this would end. That's why I never bought in on the "Lifetime" membership deal.

It's time for upper management to read GT, not just the folks doing the work. Like tp says, I had one Glock when I started, I've got a bunch now, do my dollars mean anything to Glock?

7. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

It wasn't my intent to bash GSSF for what is happening. However, like Fireglock said "It's time for upper management to read GT, not just the folks doing the work." That is what I would like to see, that they understand our concern and don't want to see GSSF go by the wayside. If there are problems that need to be addressed or some type of help needed, maybe some of the folks who have antee'd up lots of cash over the years would be willing to offer some suggestions and/or help. Let's make this post go in a positive direction, sorry for beginning in such a negative way.

And after re-reading the post by TJC it serves as a reminder that the folks at the top may not be reading GT and hearing what is being said by the membership of GSSF <i>that they have actively $olicited.</i> Let's <u>hope</u> that changes, before other great competitors such as TJC are lost.

8. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

Answered my own question.

melissa :)

9. njl

njl Crusty Member

Don't even suggest that. If Orlando ends up getting canceled too, I'm really not going to be happy. Except for a few years when either health issues or schedule conflicts (dang weddings) got in the way, I've shot JAX and more recently Orlando for the past 5 years. With the fee increase announcement, I figured the time was right to go ahead and upgrade to a lifetime membership. Then I find out that my closest match, one that's been on for years, is no more.

I guess at the very least, I bought a lifetime warranty for any Glock I own. That is one of the benefits of GSSF membership, isn't it. I'm pretty sure I remember reading it somewhere. If Orlando doesn't get confirmed, that appears to be all I'll get for my $.

Or perhaps if they'll hurry up and just cancel Orlando, I can look into either a refund or chargeback. ^2

I don't want to do that, but if we go from 2 matches/year in reasonable driving distance to 0, what's the point in a lifetime membership. It's kind of like having a CWP in states you never go to...maybe even less useful.

Earth to Gaston. Come in please. ;E