a medical question about heart surgery

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by *ASH*, Feb 19, 2010.

1. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

my MIL had open heart surgery at christmas, had a cow valve installed, and my wife was staying with her for few weeks , then brought her to our house in nc to get better,

anyway my wife said her mom now acts alittle different and docs told her anyone who has open heart surgery can become different ??? anyone heard of this >> her mom did seem different , in things she liked and acted while here . wife said some people become meaner or totally different . just wondering if anyone had this happen to their loved ones ????

and is it common

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Depression is always a possibility.
    By depression, I mean clinical depression, not just feeling depressed.
    It is quite common, especially in women, who experience a major life change/stressor.

3. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Yes, I know people who have had it and depression is a very real possibility following the surgery. I know somebody personally who had it and they went through a lot of depression and changes. As far as never being the same again, I do not know if that will happen, the person i know is now about the same as they ever were, it just took a little while to get there.

4. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

I've seen personality changes in two of my elders. My theory was some kind of deficiency in the blood flow during the operation or a chemical change in the brain due to medications administered or some other subtle change in the brain. Heart lung machines are known to damage blood cells.

5. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

My dad changed. Dropped dead on his way intothe ER for chest pains. A Dr on his way out started CPR. 2 open heart surgeries, and an implanted defibrilator later he's still going. Started living healthier and doing every thing he could to enjoy every moment of his life. He goes on 5 or 6 trips a year, rides his motorcycle and enjoys every moment.

He's taking me to Ireland in November since his wife didn't want to go with him. I'm very excited.