·
Mentally Frozen
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
43,620 Posts
Content only available to subscribers.

I have one in a bottle like that which is at least 50 years old.

How it got in there is a secret that is held for only those who can keep their yap shut in our family.

·
Registered
43,620 Posts
Reactions: PBCounty

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,501 Posts
Content only available to subscribers.

I have one in a bottle like that which is at least 50 years old.

How it got in there is a secret that is held for only those who can keep their yap shut in our family.
Sex toy?:aodnsb:

·
Registered
43,620 Posts

·
Mentally Frozen
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The label placed on the hand-blown glass jar says 1845.

Baker's best guess is that his grandfather, James Pumphrey Ramsey, most likely put the notation on the bottle but it was either of Baker's maternal great-grandparents — Daniel D. and Elizabeth Reiff — who actually took the historic step of putting the cucumber in the bottle.

When I google "oldest pickle in the world" I am led to a 2011 NPR story about a pickle in a jar that at the time was 135 years old.

Big dill, I say. Baker's is 175 years old.

Part of that family lore is the pickle.

"My grandpa had a desk with a pull-down lid," Baker tells me. "He had that pickle sitting up on that desk."

As a boy, Baker recalls, he would cross the street to his grandparents' home.

"Every time I would go over there I would look to see if that pickle was still there," he says.

Baker's pickle fills most of the space within a bottle 8 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter. It's as if its growth was stunted by the bottle. The solution is murky.

The pickle is not appealing in a culinary sense. And I am a lover of pickles.

"They might have pickled that in formaldehyde," he says.

The bottle's bottom is concave and the opening is just big enough to put your pinky in. It was big enough to accept a bloom on a cucumber vine back in 1845.

Baker tells me pickling was a "great hobby" in the 19th century. I'll take his word for it.

Baker was about 26 when his father passed the pickle to him.

It was the family heirloom Baker most coveted. Not furniture. Not jewelry. Not dad's treasured shotgun.

Parker Baker knew his son well; he knew Tom was green with envy for the family pickle.

Baker's wife, Mildred, wasn't as enamored of it as he was. She passed away in September at 96. They were married 71 years.

Not once since the 1940s has Baker uncorked the glass bottle. His father did once, he recalls, to add alcohol.

I tell Baker I don't want to be rude and he seems in great health and everything — but:

Do you have a will? And if so, which of your three children will inherit the family pickle?

Baker has two daughters and a son.

Better yet: Do any of them — ages 68, 66 and 64 — even want the green heirloom?

None has expressed an interest, he says.

But more than likely it will be his son, who would then become the fifth generation of family to caretake what just might be the oldest pickle in the world.

·
Registered
43,620 Posts
It's nice that you Man'd up and aren't denying it:horsey:
Dear phucface, the pickle is inside a bottle and won't come out. So unless I'm using the whole bottle as a "sex toy", well, I'm not your wife.

Reactions: JArthurD and treg

·
Mentally Frozen
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's probably an interesting story behind it, but maybe not.

This content is only available to subscribers.
Only $1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
you can read most of it at post #10.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,501 Posts
12391354_10205111110879652_2392872979542712085_n.jpg
Dear phucface, the pickle is inside a bottle and won't come out. So unless I'm using the whole bottle as a "sex toy", well, I'm not your wife.
You seem to protest way to much, have you given a name to your Pickle (LOVER) yet? Hope the bottle doesn't break inside u that could really hurt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts